Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-01-2016, 05:15 AM   #331
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I'm still waiting for my Earl...
Have you been told when delivery is now expected? I've not seen any updates in quite a while.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:39 AM   #332
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you been told when delivery is now expected? I've not seen any updates in quite a while.
I think that is why he is still waiting for something to happen.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #333
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm still waiting for an update on the Earl.

Earl is a case study in how not to manage a crowd funding project with issues.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #334
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Actually, the indiegogo page says $699 + shipping. There doesn't seem to be any indication of what the shipping charges are but maybe if you go through with the process it tells you before you buy. Or maybe you never find out until the readers are actually ready to be shipped and then they're held ransom until you pay?
When people go through the checkout process, it adds on the cost of shipping. That's why you are seeing pledges of $769 or $789 when people have claimed the $729 perk.

However, that shipping charge is included in the total funds collected towards the target. Thus, to place an order for 60 units at $700 a piece, you would need to collect more than $42000.

Had they simply reached 100% of their target, they would not have had sufficient funds to place the order as the shipping fees which backers had already paid would have been included in that $42000. What would have happened then?

Of course, the campaign is now well over its target so that is no longer a concern. However, if the campaign organizers overlooked something so basic when they were establishing their campaign goal, it would make me wonder what else they might have overlooked.

Think I will wait until backers receive their ereaders and until there are some independent reviews of the device until I consider placing an order.

Actually, I'm rather hoping that Kobo or somebody else might take notice and put out a device with superior specs.

Last edited by Question Mark; 04-01-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #335
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I'm still waiting for an update on the Earl.

Earl is a case study in how not to manage a crowd funding project with issues.
It's also a lesson in how one should make sure one has the engineering talent (which knows what it is doing) before one starts the project.

Quigle had overly ambitious goals, but not the engineers to make them happen.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2016, 01:33 AM   #336
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It's also a lesson in how one should make sure one has the engineering talent (which knows what it is doing) before one starts the project.

Quigle had overly ambitious goals, but not the engineers to make them happen.
The problem is that with any kind of project where you are funding the development virtually, there's very little way to determine if the people running the project are qualified or not.

Also, the Earl people seemed to be more managing the project then doing the actual engineering, they were using the manufacturer for the actual engineering.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #337
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
The problem is that with any kind of project where you are funding the development virtually, there's very little way to determine if the people running the project are qualified or not.

Also, the Earl people seemed to be more managing the project then doing the actual engineering, they were using the manufacturer for the actual engineering.
They also didn't have the management experience or know-how to stick to their guns. They switched manufacturers in pursuit of features when really they should have released what they could and apologized for missing stuff. If they had, they'd have a product out instead of being an in-joke.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #338
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
They also didn't have the management experience or know-how to stick to their guns. They switched manufacturers in pursuit of features when really they should have released what they could and apologized for missing stuff. If they had, they'd have a product out instead of being an in-joke.
I don't think their first HW partner could have made the Earl, as promised. But yes, Squigle should have released something (call it a Mark zero, or a prototype). It would have found a market, and helped build interest.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:13 AM   #339
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I don't think their first HW partner could have made the Earl, as promised. But yes, Squigle should have released something (call it a Mark zero, or a prototype). It would have found a market, and helped build interest.
Surely they should have called it the Knight, then they could work up through the versions Knight>>Baronet>>Baron>>Viscount>>Earl.

They could release the Duke as an enhanced version

And now I have "The Duke of Earl" as an ear worm.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:37 AM   #340
murg
No Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
As well you should.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:23 AM   #341
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Surely they should have called it the Knight, then they could work up through the versions Knight>>Baronet>>Baron>>Viscount>>Earl.

After making that joke, you deserve it.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:57 AM   #342
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:

Here, let me reinforce that for you

Spoiler:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:31 AM   #343
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Here, let me reinforce that for you

Spoiler:
Do not click the button.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:48 AM   #344
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
You know, the lack of sympathy is just terrible

Ear worm still going, turns out it's true and nothing can stop the Duke of Earl.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #345
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
You know, the lack of sympathy is just terrible

Ear worm still going, turns out it's true and nothing can stop the Duke of Earl.
I'm so sorry you have a Duke stuck in your ear.
Let me help you get it out.
Spoiler:
The wheels on the bus go round and round.

If that one doesn't work click the next button
Spoiler:
I love you, you love me, we're a happy family.

and if that fails, one last one.
Spoiler:
this is the song that never ends.

Surely between the bus, Barney and Lamb Chop, you can get rid of that Duke.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodereader bad