Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 06-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
JMEOH
JMEOH began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung TS2
Unhappy [Android] Calibre & CC No Longer Communicate

Hey all --

I've been stumped and need answers from the pros. I wanted to sync a few new books to my CC and discovered I cannot connect as a wireless device anymore. It doesn't even work if I try to connect using a fixed port. So I thought perhaps I could transfer the new books via USB, which they did transfer, but they don't go in the CC companion database. Then I discovered that I have several books in my CC companion database with missing files - and they're books that I've recently read. I have no idea what happened there. I have over 650 books in Calibre. I'm to the point that want to delete Calibre Companion and start from scratch but not sure how I could since I can't connect. Checked all the Wi-Fi and Firewall settings, etc. and they are as they should be - that hasn't changed. Is it possible a newer update from Calibre made it go wonky on me? I wish I worked in an IT department because I'm at a loss right now - and frustrated. Any advice would be appreciated. I also noticed that the last set of books I downloaded are locked and DRM'd which they shouldn't have been since I have Apprentice Alf's plug in, which makes me wonder if it's an update problem (the last update being the problem). I have a Samsung Android TS2.

Last edited by JMEOH; 06-11-2017 at 09:15 AM. Reason: wrong device
JMEOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEOH View Post
I wanted to sync a few new books to my CC and discovered I cannot connect as a wireless device anymore. It doesn't even work if I try to connect using a fixed port.

...~~~...
Checked all the Wi-Fi and Firewall settings, etc. and they are as they should be - that hasn't changed. Is it possible a newer update from Calibre made it go wonky on me?
It is relatively safe to say if you are running current version of calibre it is not an update issue. Obviously something stopped working, here is the FAQ for connecting CC to calibre, hopefully you will find the answer here.

Often log files help discover what is going on. Here is the page that describes how to obtain the log files to assist in getting help.

Quote:
So I thought perhaps I could transfer the new books via USB, which they did transfer, but they don't go in the CC companion database.
CC only works via a wireless connection.

Quote:
Then I discovered that I have several books in my CC companion database with missing files - and they're books that I've recently read.
This is usually a device issue, often solved by reformatting the SD card or doing a factory reset of your device, but I'll let others with more experience address this further.

Quote:
I have no idea what happened there. I have over 650 books in Calibre. I'm to the point that want to delete Calibre Companion and start from scratch but not sure how I could since I can't connect.
If you choose to uninstall and reinstall CC this page will help.

Quote:
I also noticed that the last set of books I downloaded are locked and DRM'd which they shouldn't have been since I have Apprentice Alf's plug in, which makes me wonder if it's an update problem (the last update being the problem). I have a Samsung Android TS2.
Not an update or calibre issue, it is an Amazon issue. Read this thread for more information.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-11-2017 at 12:32 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Given that connections have worked in the past, in the vast majority of cases this problem is caused by security software on the machine running calibre, usually a heavy-handed antivirus package or the firewall. In a small but noticeable number of cases the problem is caused by the home WiFi router.

I suggest that you try the following things to ensure that you have a clean environment.
  1. Shut down the computer running calibre.
  2. Shut down the Android device.
  3. In an abundance of caution, shut down all devices connected to your network. This is not strictly necessary but can help avoid some strange problems.
  4. Reboot the network WiFi router.
  5. Boot the computer running calibre.
  6. Ensure that the wireless device driver is running in calibre (Sharing button, Wireless device is "on").
  7. Boot the device.
  8. Reset CC's wireless device connection settings to their default, removing any fixed IP/port you might have entered.
  9. Try to connect.
If connections still don't work then you will need to look at the AV and firewall settings on the computer running calibre. Calibre should be ignored. Many people have had good luck in finding problems by temporarily turning off the AV/firewall to see if CC can again connect.

One diagnostic is to turn on calibre's content server (Sharing button again) then use the web browser on the device to access it. On the device you would type http://IP-address-of-calibre-computer:8080/ (usually something like http://192.168.number.number:8080). If that doesn't connect then we confirm that your device can't see the calibre computer.

You might also want to ask yourself "what changed?" Did you update your router, the OS of the machine running calibre (such as the Windows Creators Update), the version of the OS on your device, or anything else? Note that Antivirus software usually updates itself silently.

It is almost certain that neither a new CC nor a new calibre version has broken wireless device connections. First, the connection process hasn't changed in a long time in either calibre or CC. Second, tens of thousands of people connect CC to calibre every week using the wireless device. If this didn't work then we would most certainly hear about it.

If you continue to have problems then perhaps debug logs might help us determine why. See our FAQ How do I get help? for information about how to get logs and send them to us.

Good luck,
Charles

Last edited by chaley; 06-11-2017 at 01:00 PM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
JMEOH

Thanks Charles for your help. I started with unplugging the modem and undoing the Ethernet and dsl cable. Waited about 1 minute then plugged everything back in & turned it on. After everything came back up I tried to connect like you said and it worked! I finales able to transfer my books to my tablet but I can't figure out why they're all coming up they can't be read in Calibre due to DRM. But I purchased them myself and I can read them through Calibre Companion. Thanks again!!
Old 06-11-2017, 10:22 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can't figure out why they're all coming up they can't be read in Calibre due to DRM. But I purchased them myself and I can read them through Calibre Companion. Thanks again!!
I answered this in the response above, here it is again.

Quote:
I also noticed that the last set of books I downloaded are locked and DRM'd which they shouldn't have been since I have Apprentice Alf's plug in, which makes me wonder if it's an update problem (the last update being the problem). I have a Samsung Android TS2.
Not an update or calibre issue, it is an Amazon issue. Read this thread for more information.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-11-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
JMEOH

Thanks for the reply. My books are from Barnes & Noble - not Amazon.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. My books are from Barnes & Noble - not Amazon.
The best thing to do is remove the DRM. See Apprentice Alf for help removing the DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #8
JMEOH

Thanks for the information but all of my books have been DRM-free due to Apprentice Alf's plug in but not this last batch for some reason.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:10 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Thanks for the information but all of my books have been DRM-free due to Apprentice Alf's plug in but not this last batch for some reason.
Thenupdate the tools and if that doesn't work ask over on Apprentice Alf's blog, Calibre has nothing to do with DRM removal.