Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Can you make page-numbers correspond to page-turns?

I allways get "double" page numbers like 234-235. I'm using the original everything of any ebook. It makes no diff whether I bought it online, got it somewhere else or used Calibre to convert it.

In order to determine the actual capacity of the T1's battery, I'd like to see how many times I can change pages under varying conditions like only clicking or only swiping.

I've had the T1 for two months now and I know it lasts a long, long time, but hey, call it pedantism.

There is no way I'm going to do this by counting, I just enjoy reading to much for that!
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

I believe there is some merit to this experiment because Sony has been decidedly vague about this.

I've seen constantly changing battery capacity claims on thier website, like: "two months" that was BS, "one month, reading 30min/day" who does that?, "100 hours"... well maybe, and most recently "14,000 continuous page turns" which I don't believe.
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibahbuzemann View Post
Can you make page-numbers correspond to page-turns?
That would be a 'No'. I seem to remember someone saying that "epub page numbers" are generated by the Sony's ADE firmware, and are a count of units of 1024 characters in the compressed file. Nothing at all to do with physical page turns. It means that if you increase/decrease the font size the epub page numbers don't change, but you will get more/less physical page turns per "epub page".
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
That would be a 'No'. I seem to remember someone saying that "epub page numbers" are generated by the Sony's ADE firmware, and are a count of units of 1024 characters in the compressed file. Nothing at all to do with physical page turns. It means that if you increase/decrease the font size the epub page numbers don't change, but you will get more/less physical page turns per "epub page".
That's absolutely correct.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
One thing that alters the apparent battery life enormously is plugging the reader into a computer to sync it. At times when I'm doing this often the battery life seems almost endless. If I read without these brief syncing periods then the battery seems to run down much more quickly. Obviously the reader is getting charged when it's plugged in, its just surprising how much charge it can accumulate in these short periods.
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's absolutely correct.
I suspect that you are the 'someone' I was remembering, HarryT
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
yeah page numbers are perfect as is. one of nice things about epub format.

The page number on my T1 corresponds to the same on my phone and tablet (Aldiko).
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Regarding battery life - I have had two 900s, a 350 and a 950. None of those devices comes any close to the claimed battery life.

The 350, if I read regularly, a couple of hours per night, I have to recharge every week or so.

The 900s and 950, thanks to the wifi and 3g, don't last more than 4-5 days.

I even bought a replacement battery for the first 900, thinking this was low (based on SONY's claims). It made no difference.

Frankly I don't mind - my readers are always with me and plugging them in to sync with my PC is no big effort and I would do it anyhow every couple of days to manage my list of books.

But the claims about battery life are absolute BS, unless all the units I have had were faulty, which seems unlikely.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How about trying PDFs? Seems as though you should be able to generate PDFs with page numbers in them?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
bibahbuzemann
Addict

At first, that seems like a good idea.

However I practically allways read ePubs and I would fear that battery consumption might differ when displaying PDFs instead.

Quote:
... "epub page numbers" are generated by the Sony's ADE firmware, and are a count of units of 1024 characters in the compressed file. Nothing at all to do with physical page turns.
Hmm.., would it be possible to edit ePubs(with Calibre or Sigle) to insert a page-break every 1024 chars?
Old 12-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm afraid it's not that simple; it's not "every 1024 characters"; it's "every 1024 bytes of the compressed file". There is no simple relationship between the two.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #12
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
I suspect that you are the 'someone' I was remembering, HarryT
Then it must be right. *Cough*

What source are you basing that on, Harry?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
This is one thing that drives me mildly crazy about epubs. When I read an epub on my Sony, I have to add another 50% or so to the number of pages it says the book has, so that I get a more realistic idea of the actual length and time it will take me to read. This is one reason I like old school LRF format books which the T1 unfortunately doesn't read. Each screen is one page.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #14
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Regarding battery life - I have had two 900s, a 350 and a 950. None of those devices comes any close to the claimed battery life.

The 350, if I read regularly, a couple of hours per night, I have to recharge every week or so.

The 900s and 950, thanks to the wifi and 3g, don't last more than 4-5 days.

I even bought a replacement battery for the first 900, thinking this was low (based on SONY's claims). It made no difference.

Frankly I don't mind - my readers are always with me and plugging them in to sync with my PC is no big effort and I would do it anyhow every couple of days to manage my list of books.

But the claims about battery life are absolute BS, unless all the units I have had were faulty, which seems unlikely.
I get a week or so as well on my 650. I have to say though when I had my pocketbook 360, it seemed that I was charging daily. The battery just did not last long.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote