Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #31
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero View Post
Why would anyone want the OED?
If someone were to give me the current version, sure, I'd take it. But I can't see spending my money for it.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #32
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The 1888 edition (15,000 pages, 6 GB) is presumably PD world-wide, and is posted to archive.org. Moderators, please delete if this is inappropriate.

https://archive.org/details/oed11_201407
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:35 AM   #33
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
The 1888 edition (15,000 pages, 6 GB) is presumably PD world-wide, and is posted to archive.org. Moderators, please delete if this is inappropriate.

https://archive.org/details/oed11_201407
Volume 10 with the letter Z wasn't published until the year 1928 so "1888 edition" is nonsense and the complete text may not be PD in the US.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:52 PM   #34
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Volume 10 with the letter Z wasn't published until the year 1928 so "1888 edition" is nonsense and the complete text may not be PD in the US.
Whether or not a document produced in a foreign country is P.D. in another country depends upon what the laws of the foreign country are where it was copyrighted, doesn't it?

So, if the "Z" volume wasn't published until 1928, causing the whole set to gain a 1928 copyright date (if I understand your point), it seems to me that that would only matter if works copyrighted in England(?) in 1928 were still in copyright. I don't know if they are or are not.

That prompts a question about books and other published works, in the U.S. in particular, that have a second, or later, revised edition, a new foreword, a different cover (even if a digital product), and/or an additional chapter or two, etc. Will it gain a new, later copyright date for the original published work, or for only the new material?

Oh, I so wish that I were a copyright lawyer. Not!

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-19-2019 at 10:56 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:31 PM   #35
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Whether or not a document produced in a foreign country is P.D. in another country depends upon what the laws of the foreign country are where it was copyrighted, doesn't it?

So, if the "Z" volume wasn't published until 1928, causing the whole set to gain a 1928 copyright date (if I understand your point), it seems to me that that would only matter if works copyrighted in England(?) in 1928 were still in copyright. I don't know if they are or are not.

That prompts a question about books and other published works, in the U.S. in particular, that have a second, or later, revised edition, a new foreword, a different cover (even if a digital product), and/or an additional chapter or two, etc. Will it gain a new, later copyright date for the original published work, or for only the new material?

Oh, I so wish that I were a copyright lawyer. Not!
Hathi trust thinks it's still in copyright
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/009779263

And you need to be a trademark lawyer too.

Reprints of an annual volume of Cricket Statistics was hindered because the title 'Wisden' was trademarked.
https://trademarks.justia.com/855/07...-85507373.html
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:43 PM   #36
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Hathi trust thinks it's still in copyright
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/009779263

And you need to be a trademark lawyer too.

Reprints of an annual volume of Cricket Statistics was hindered because the title 'Wisden' was trademarked.
https://trademarks.justia.com/855/07...-85507373.html
P1--Interesting. I'd be "afraid" to speculate why.

P2--Pshht! A piece of cake. I can take care of that in night classes while I'm working toward getting the mortar board (the "cap" in "cap and gown"--worn during the graduation ceremony) for my doctor of copyright law degree.

P3--I doubt that any of the lawmakers intended to put that loophole in, when they wrote the copyright laws. It's bound to be difficult for lawmakers to cover every conceivable abuse of a law, when they make one.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-21-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:59 PM   #37
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Regarding the OED . . . .

It's probably going on the burn pile in my back yard at the edge of the woods back there, tomorrow.

I genuinely hate to dispose of books, but this one is an albatross around my neck. It's too old, it takes up too much shelf space, and the local library or charities probably don't want it (I might call the library first, just to be sure).

Something that you might find interesting--it is very difficult to burn a book using ordinary means. The cover, and the first few and last few pages will probably burn up easily, but the inside will still be in great shape. With the monstrous size that the two volumes are, I'll probably still have them on the burn pile when they come to take me away . . . .

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-21-2019 at 11:02 PM.