Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #61
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
currently you are limited to a 2/3 and 1/3 split but that will change with the addition of a half and half split soon.
I'm aware of that, but really, only 2 apps and on a rigid configuration? Maybe for somebody very computer illiterate that would work, but otherwise it is way too restrictive.

There is an app out there that lets you run metro apps inside a window, but you shouldn't have to go to that extra length to use multi tasking on a PC, it should work out of the box like W7 or any previous iteration.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #62
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I can certainly see a day when tablet or phone form computers are the center of the personal computing experience. With the maturation of the personal area network, there's no reason to believe a bluetooth enabled computer could not automatically pair with nearby peripherals so that my portable computer outputs to nearby displays, accepts input from local keyboards and mice, and logs onto designated networks. This is not science fiction. No reason why a touch screen could not be so paired.
Sure there is: copyright and patent law.

Proprietary hardware, proprietary software, compatibility available only by paid license... your future tablet will work with certain printers if you buy the app with that printer's drivers. Want to be able to display presentations on the big screen? You get a free app with purchase of the screen. For people who want to run them at the office, the office can buy a ten-pack of licenses. Want to run it at a friend's house? That same ten-pack is available to you!

Right now, the tablet producers are better off letting everything possible run through bluetooth. They may decide to take a more walled-garden approach. Amazon, especially, is in place to make its Kindle Fire only compatible with licensed hardware; their target demographic is much less likely than Apple's to demand compatibility across multiple devices and OS's.

I don't think it'll happen right away. I do think device manufacturers--of all sorts--are looking to both prevent similar technology from competitors (hence the hidden software with no-reverse-engineering TOS) and the possibility of licenses for use, and therefore not making compatibility automatic.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #63
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
What issues are you running into? My desktop dual boots Windows 8 and Arch Linux without a hitch. I am using BIOS emulation (and a 2 TB boot drive) though, since UEFI didn't seem to work.
Yep.. Workarounds. When I don't have to use workarounds or muck with BIOS, I'll take a look.

Unfortunately, it looks like all current *laptops* seem to have Win8 by default, so I'll probably just stay with my Sony and Win7/Ubuntu until something dies.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #64
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I actually want a new PC I was out looking at them a few weeks ago but Windows 8 and the fact nearly all of them are on intel graphics these days put me off. I can't see myself buying another until they put the start menu back and give most of the prebuilt ones a half decent GPU again.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #65
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I'm aware of that, but really, only 2 apps and on a rigid configuration? Maybe for somebody very computer illiterate that would work, but otherwise it is way too restrictive.

There is an app out there that lets you run metro apps inside a window, but you shouldn't have to go to that extra length to use multi tasking on a PC, it should work out of the box like W7 or any previous iteration.
you dont have to. if you dont like full screen 'apps' or snap, simply stay with traditional desktop software and you can run as many windows as you like. its a choice not a restriction.

as to why its like that in the first place , that's because it gives you a nice sized 4x3 window to work in office products etc while having a small "strip" next to it to keep an eye on email, or your play list etc. both are still usable at this size. even on smaller displays.

one of the great things about windows is there has always been many ways to customize it for the experience you want to have. having an app available to help customize your experience being called " extra length" that no one should have to go through is odd to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
How can you justify having a single app on a 27" monitor?
i was playing pinball on a 27" touch screen recently on lenovo all in one. that was the best computer pinball ever. i was able to lower and tilt the dsiplay so i could get my hands on it like an actual pinball machine and use my thumbs to hit the paddles. too much fun

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 04-12-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #66
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
sorry duplicate
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #67
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Not only do all new laptops come with Win8 installed,but my very compter literate husband couldn't figure out how to uninstall it to install Win7 on the laptop. It's locked down some how, so you can't move backward.

We had to get a bunch of apps to make it run like Win7 so that it was acceptable to my son when we got him his new laptop.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #68
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
No wonder.

Windows 8 is the worst Windows since Windows Millennium.
Uh. No, it's not. It really is a fantastic OS, provided one is willing to learn a few new things. I could definitely get on board with the argument that Microsoft changed it too much for the average user, but to claim it's a poor OS? That's pure hyperbole. It's very stable, manages memory very well, and boots quickly. And if you're willing to spend a bit of time getting used to some of the interface changes, it's also easier to use than previous versions.

Last edited by K. Molen; 04-12-2013 at 03:59 PM.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #69
Love.Forever.
Monarch Butterfly ...
Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
I use a MacBook Pro for school work, and even though I have the Nexus 7(with the bluetooth keyboard), it doesn't compare to some of the things I can do on the laptop (word file formatting, editing papers,etc.). The size of the tablet makes it a lot easier to bring to lectures but for any heavy duty work.. laptop prevails
Love.Forever. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I actually want a new PC I was out looking at them a few weeks ago but Windows 8 and the fact nearly all of them are on intel graphics these days put me off. I can't see myself buying another until they put the start menu back and give most of the prebuilt ones a half decent GPU again.
Take a look at Dell. They sell systems with decent graphics cards.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #71
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you need a dedicated graphics card? There are genuine uses for having one, but today's embedded graphics card are "good enough" for what most people do, including playing 1080p videos and casual gaming. Even my N10 can happily play 1080p.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #72
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Unfortunately, it looks like all current *laptops* seem to have Win8 by default, so I'll probably just stay with my Sony and Win7/Ubuntu until something dies.
You can get "business" laptops with Windows 7, but you would probably have to order one from the manufacturer. For example, Lenovo's ThinkPads and some of Dell's models have Windows 7.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #73
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
You can get "business" laptops with Windows 7, but you would probably have to order one from the manufacturer. For example, Lenovo's ThinkPads and some of Dell's models have Windows 7.
Last time I looked, most of Dell's businsess stuff was still Win7 only. I haven't checked in a couple of months, but I'm sure they mostly still have it at a no-charge option. Hell, last time I checked, they still have XP pro as an option on some. (And if you know where to go, you can still buy DOS 6.2 from Microsoft.)
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #74
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Not only do all new laptops come with Win8 installed,but my very compter literate husband couldn't figure out how to uninstall it to install Win7 on the laptop. It's locked down some how, so you can't move backward.

We had to get a bunch of apps to make it run like Win7 so that it was acceptable to my son when we got him his new laptop.
No it isn't. My wife's lenovo laptop is running Vista (she liked Win7 less than Win8). My recommendation is that he buy a new disk and install win7 on that. If you have a change of heart later, just swap the disks back.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #75
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Last time I looked, most of Dell's businsess stuff was still Win7 only. I haven't checked in a couple of months, but I'm sure they mostly still have it at a no-charge option. Hell, last time I checked, they still have XP pro as an option on some. (And if you know where to go, you can still buy DOS 6.2 from Microsoft.)
Most vendors offer a Win8 PRO to win7 pro downgrade for free. The intent is to let the businesses migrate to win8 eventually. Win8 pro is more expensive, but most businesses need the enterprise stuff anyway.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote