Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #1
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
New Barnes and Noble "Nook Glowlight Plus" announced!

... and it looks pretty standard. Here's a link to a CNET hands-on!
http://www.cnet.com/products/barnes-...lowlight-plus/
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I kind of like the looks, but why do they still insist on segregating the storage space?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Only in white? Yuck!

Low storage will not set well with lots of people. It has 2.5GB for content (2GB for Nook and only 0.5GB for the user). That's pathetic!

To me, waterproofing is a wasted feature if it's not coupled with a flexible substrate.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I like the white, the water and dust proof, the look of it. The price, too.

What I can not accept is the partitioned storage. That out weighs all the good things about this device.

So maybe the next Voyage will be water/dust proof. I would buy one just for that.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Too late. I bought a PW3 on Monday when they went on sale. Though I probably still wouldn't have bought one as I'm unwilling to buy ebooks from BN any more. This is from some one who had an original Nook 3g and have two NST a Nook Color and a Nook HD+.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Well I do agree with those unhappy about the memory limitations. However, it does look to me that B&N at least is back with a viable e-reader. It does not look like a big step forward to me but at least they have acheived 'me to' status as far as a high resolution screen, waterproof, dust proof and maybe a plus with, if I understand right, a lifetime warranty.

I plan to head down to my local store and give it a look.

Note:
After further review, the warranty is a limited one year warranty, the lifetime applies to in store support.

Last edited by fbrII; 10-21-2015 at 10:47 AM.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
from BadEReader....

Quote:
There is no word yet on what processor this has or how much RAM is currently available, but I asked B&N to provide this information. It does have 4 GB of internal memory, of which 2 GB is reserved for NOOK Store content and users have 2 GB in order to load in their own EPUB or PDF Files.
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...-now-available
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
from BadEReader....
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #9
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I love the color. I can't wait to see it. I've ordered three.

An aluminum back. Oooh, reminds me of my Sony readers. I loved that feeling.

Fact sheet:
http://img1.imagesbn.com/pImages/noo...?cds2Pid=42488

Last edited by mycurlylocks; 10-21-2015 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Adding babble
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #10
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
They lost me when they started making it difficult to download the epubs from their site, and who knows when the Nook PC app stops working since it's not supported any more. I de-DRM / back up to Calibre...it was obvious where they were headed.

Didn't help that half the time I went to read instore (I actually had 1-2 times a week to do this for a long time) it would fail and tell me I'd already used my hour.

I talked about bailing enough, so the wife got me a Kindle Voyage which is pretty awesome and I've moved to the big evil empire for my ebooks.

I still have my ST Glowlight though - probably repurpose it for my daughter soon.

I really like the waterproofing though, that's a great idea and a good selling point.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Low storage will not set well with lots of people. It has 2.5GB for content (2GB for Nook and only 0.5GB for the user). That's pathetic!
Nate says it's 2.8GB of ram not partitioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
2.8GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I got one at my B&N store. The storage is not partitioned.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-21-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I agree with other comments here--I like the looks of it and would really consider buying one except for the limited memory available to the user. I have no idea why they feel the need to implement this limitation. If it's to try and force people to buy their ebooks from B&N, it doesn't seem necessary to me. I think the vast majority of people who buy a nook will choose the simplest option--buying on their device from B&N. On the other hand, by limiting the storage available. they reduce the amount of potential sales--as the limited storage is a deal killer for them (me included). And GreenMonkey ahs a good point as well--making it harder to download epubs from their website alienates customers as well.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I agree with other comments here--I like the looks of it and would really consider buying one except for the limited memory available to the user. I have no idea why they feel the need to implement this limitation. If it's to try and force people to buy their ebooks from B&N, it doesn't seem necessary to me. I think the vast majority of people who buy a nook will choose the simplest option--buying on their device from B&N. On the other hand, by limiting the storage available. they reduce the amount of potential sales--as the limited storage is a deal killer for them (me included). And GreenMonkey ahs a good point as well--making it harder to download epubs from their website alienates customers as well.
There is 2.8gig of non-partitioned storage.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #14
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
And GreenMonkey ahs a good point as well--making it harder to download epubs from their website alienates customers as well.
This is my biggest gripe with BN. I know there are workarounds, but why make it difficult in the first place? All it means is that I'll buy books from Amazon and convert them to epub.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #15
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Yeah... B&N lost me when they made life difficult for their customers. B&N will never get another dollar from me.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote