Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #91
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Chumbah,

I'm glad you are enjoying your SmartQ 7 and my review helped you. There are quite a few great things coming for the device, including Mer, which is quite a bit better than the Linux OS it ships with. I'm running the Chinese WinCE, Mer, and the Default OS on the device right now and I'm really quite happy with the power the device seems to have. I'm hoping to get Android working on the device soon.

As for your question about a cover, I've seen only a couple specifically designed for the SmartQ 7, and both being from China.

1. http://www.jiongtang.com/fourm/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=649 - this one at the bottom of the post in this link

2. http://www.eletroworld.cn/ - check the SmartQ 7 page - there is a $7.00 case listed in the accessories for the SmartQ 7.

I can't speak for quality of either cover since I haven't ordered one yet.

There is also a fansite/message board for SmartQ devices that many of us have joined, and I hope that folks here will join as well: http://www.smartqmid.com/phpBB3/index.php

Last but not least, we really need a Chinese user who frequents this board that can help us translate some of the posts on the Chinese fansites. There are many ideas, customizations, downloads and other goodies for this device that are only held back due to a language barrier. If we could somehow open the floodgates to their world we could open up many possibilities for the device.

Regards,
ColdSun
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:26 AM   #92
GuillaumeJay
Enthusiast
GuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbah View Post
Oh, and the one other great thing is that at night, it is marvelous to use with the back-light set to it's dimmest, the wife doesn't get woken up! and I can
You know, that's a very big selling point for me.

I'm surprised how much light my axim x50v makes
GuillaumeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #93
crism73
crism73 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 770
Hi!
I currently use a Nokia 770 for e-reading (PDF files) and I really love it; but I also would like a larger display, so I'm very interested in SmartQ 7...

A pair of features I really like on my Nokia 770 are: the possibility to regulate the display brightness and the fact that closing it with its hard cover "suspends" the device.

So my questions are: is it possible with the SmartQ 7 to suspend the execution (in any of the available OSes that can be run on it) ? Is it possible to (easily) regulate the display brightness?

Thank you in advance for any response!
Crism
crism73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #94
markr
markr doesn't littermarkr doesn't litter

Device: none
There is a brightness control on the main menubar of the default OS, and pressing the power button brings up a menu that lets you select shutdown or suspend.
markr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:37 PM   #95
erictai
erictai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, EZ Reader, PRS-600, SmartQ 7
Thanks for the great review!
I will pick up my Q7 in Shenzhen when I arrive Hong Kong on early Sept.
Don't know anyone posted before about the support of MS Reader, I have quite a collection on .LIT files.
Also, I wish it has a hotkey to change the screen orientation like my HP tablet.
erictai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #96
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictai View Post
Thanks for the great review!
I will pick up my Q7 in Shenzhen when I arrive Hong Kong on early Sept.
Don't know anyone posted before about the support of MS Reader, I have quite a collection on .LIT files.
Also, I wish it has a hotkey to change the screen orientation like my HP tablet.
This might do the trick, http://www.jiongtang.com/blog/html/s...ur-screen.html not sure it works for the Q7 yet but I guess it will be soon.
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:26 PM   #97
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
I wrote a small app that does the same thing for WinCE. I'll think about compiling a version that's bound to a hardware button.

http://www.houndxphotos.com/q7/AutoRotate.zip
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #98
erictai
erictai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, EZ Reader, PRS-600, SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndx View Post
I wrote a small app that does the same thing for WinCE. I'll think about compiling a version that's bound to a hardware button.

http://www.houndxphotos.com/q7/AutoRotate.zip
Thank you guys, it is very helpful!!!
erictai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:32 AM   #99
tcheung3
tcheung3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Chumbah,

I'm glad you are enjoying your SmartQ 7 and my review helped you. There are quite a few great things coming for the device, including Mer, which is quite a bit better than the Linux OS it ships with. I'm running the Chinese WinCE, Mer, and the Default OS on the device right now and I'm really quite happy with the power the device seems to have....
So, how is the video performance running on Windows CE ?
tcheung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:08 AM   #100
Justice Strike
Enthusiast
Justice Strike began at the beginning.

Device: psr600
hmm... i just ordered the psr-600... i wanted something to replace paper (i have a lot of technical manuals, reference material and am learning to read thai)... i really hope this isn't the device i should have been buying... I'll tell you, if it had a eink color display that could refresh fast (i've seen research & development screens that displayed eink video!!!) i would have returned my psr-600 the moment i got it... but now i'm not sure if this is the device i want :S... the choices :S
Justice Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #101
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Strike View Post
hmm... i just ordered the psr-600... i wanted something to replace paper (i have a lot of technical manuals, reference material and am learning to read thai)... i really hope this isn't the device i should have been buying... I'll tell you, if it had a eink color display that could refresh fast (i've seen research & development screens that displayed eink video!!!) i would have returned my psr-600 the moment i got it... but now i'm not sure if this is the device i want :S... the choices :S
Just to try and help you with your decision or confuse you even more, use advanced search, put in user name "ColdSun" and read his posts, as he seems to have a broad experience and to be quite knowledgeable about e-books/computing. He appears to quite like the SmartQ 7 MID for reading, and @ $189 + shipping it is very good value and a lot more flexible to boot.
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #102
Justice Strike
Enthusiast
Justice Strike began at the beginning.

Device: psr600
i'll keep it in the back of my mind. I also chose the psr600 to study thai. Having such a mid is nice, but to be honest, i think i'll be distracted with internet to be able to learn in the train . Yes it's a discipline issue. God i'm waiting for those color eink displays that can refresh fast. They are amazing!
Justice Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #103
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Thanks for the kind words, Nation, as I've been absent quite a bit lately due to a huge workload. I'm glad some folks are still reading this review and getting some use out of it. I'm finding that all of my assumptions are coming true with this device. I've grown to love it like no other device I've had at this point. For the price, you really can't get better, at least right now, if you are looking for a multi-purpose LCD reading device.

We now have a mostly english (and I mean like 98%) version of WinCE. This version fixes MANY of the issues that were introduced with the initial version of WinCE (like intermittant wireless issues, power off issues and other things). There are also some extremely nice user interfaces for WinCE out there like this one:

You can get quite a bit of information on the forums at http://www.smartqmid.com/. For those folks who might have sent me private messages with questions, I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner. I've been extremely busy on a project that is nearly complete. When I'm done, I'm going to try my hand at developing some custom stuff for the SmartQ 7.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #104
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Chumbah,

I'm glad you are enjoying your SmartQ 7 and my review helped you. There are quite a few great things coming for the device, including Mer, which is quite a bit better than the Linux OS it ships with. I'm running the Chinese WinCE, Mer, and the Default OS on the device right now and I'm really quite happy with the power the device seems to have. I'm hoping to get Android working on the device soon.

As for your question about a cover, I've seen only a couple specifically designed for the SmartQ 7, and both being from China.

1. http://www.jiongtang.com/fourm/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=649 - this one at the bottom of the post in this link

2. http://www.eletroworld.cn/ - check the SmartQ 7 page - there is a $7.00 case listed in the accessories for the SmartQ 7.

I can't speak for quality of either cover since I haven't ordered one yet.

There is also a fansite/message board for SmartQ devices that many of us have joined, and I hope that folks here will join as well: http://www.smartqmid.com/phpBB3/index.php

Last but not least, we really need a Chinese user who frequents this board that can help us translate some of the posts on the Chinese fansites. There are many ideas, customizations, downloads and other goodies for this device that are only held back due to a language barrier. If we could somehow open the floodgates to their world we could open up many possibilities for the device.

Regards,
ColdSun
Coldsun,
Thanks for the great (in spite of JSWolf's comments) review. So far I haven't been able to turn up the physical dimensions of the over all Q7 nut I do have a soft case by Case Logic (I got mine at Walmart) that fits my EZ Reader (also the Sony PRS-500 I did have). It might be good for the Q7 (external dimensions are 8"x6" & about 1" thick.

P.S. I think I'm going to have to order one of these.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #105
Chopchurch
Lurker
Chopchurch doesn't litterChopchurch doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7, Wikireader, G1
MobileCrunch (TechCrunch) just ran an article on the Lighthouse SQ7 by Adela Voice, which is actually the SmartQ7 running a custom OS. Their distro looks pretty sweet.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/09/28...e-recognition/

http://www.lighthousetablet.com/index.php
Chopchurch is offline   Reply With Quote