Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-02-2009, 04:06 AM   #76
alpha.mk1
alpha.mk1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
hi.......can someone please mention devices like the smartq without the TOUCHSCREEN and bluetooth...but at a cheaper price than the smartq.

the linux OS is not a problem....it should have a web browser via wifi and a display greater than 5" or 7"

there must be a device like it.....if anyone has any links or model numbers please help.

thx
alpha.mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #77
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha.mk1 View Post
hi.......can someone please mention devices like the smartq without the TOUCHSCREEN and bluetooth...but at a cheaper price than the smartq.

the linux OS is not a problem....it should have a web browser via wifi and a display greater than 5" or 7"

there must be a device like it.....if anyone has any links or model numbers please help.

thx
Actually I haven't seen anything remotely like that. However, that's no guarantee there isn't one - I haven't looked. But, everyone assumes you want touch and connectivity. I could live without the bluetooth myself...
The compact size practically guarantees touchscreen, unfortunately.
If it's any consolation, I'm having the same problem upgrading to a new phone. Everyone assumes I want touchscreen...and I hate it for phones. I tried the BB Storm and well...no way! It simply does not work for me. I can't hit the right keys with the touchscreen, I need a physical key under my fingers. The only reason I'm willing to deal with it on one of these type devices is that A. the keyboard should be a tad larger on one of these, and B. I don't see me using it that much, since my main use for something like the Smart Q7 is as an ebook reader.
I also see your point about the price being lower without touch and bluetooth, but I'm just not sure such a device exists.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2009, 11:43 PM   #78
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Quote:

thx
Are you looking for a tablet without a touchscreen? If you need a keyboard, you're looking for a netbook, I think. Find a used AsusEEE 7-incher or the like -- probably under $100 now.

The Q7 does not have built-in bluetooth.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:12 AM   #79
Gadget
Gadget doesn't litterGadget doesn't litter

Hey, whistler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
Gadget: Are you just talking out loud ? (to yourself) What do you mean by a regular screen? why a netbook? What exactly would you like to do with your ideal device? (I thought $189 + shipping was a good price)

p.s. If you were just talking out loud then i'm just whistling in the dark
Touchy! I should have said, LCD screen instead of regular screen. And I didn't think the price was finalized yet.
Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:21 AM   #80
alpha.mk1
alpha.mk1 began at the beginning.

thx for reply
wat i am looking for is the SmartQ7 like device with [linux OS and WIFI and 7"/7"+ screen]
for under or about $100 .[i dont need much hdd space]

problem with netbooks
1]form factor ie screen,keyboard joint and folds on top of other ,as compared to SmartQ where i can just attach the keyboard and remove it wen not required.

2]expensive

3]screen size same
alpha.mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #81
Chopchurch
Lurker
Chopchurch doesn't litterChopchurch doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7, Wikireader, G1
Thanks to ColdSun's review I ordered a Smart Q7 today as my ebook and manga reader of choice, hopefully it will come with the 4.0 firmware installed.
Chopchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #82
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopchurch View Post
Thanks to ColdSun's review I ordered a Smart Q7 today as my ebook and manga reader of choice, hopefully it will come with the 4.0 firmware installed.
I wouldn't worry if if doesn't, as it's real easy to update.
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:32 AM   #83
Brainy142
Brainy142 began at the beginning.

Device: smart q 5???
Dealextreme sells the q5 for about $150 and with free shipping. I have actually bought a few things from them before, they are reliable.

Anyone ordering from mp4nation I can CONFIRM that the new models coming in on the 12th have the 4.0 firmware on it. And there will be a presale for those wanting to make sure they get one.

NOTE WITH DEALEXTREME: if it says in stock then it will ship asap, but if it says typically 2-5 days It might be a couple days for it to get shipped (one of my products ordered I had to wait a week). Just letting you guys know.
Brainy142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:05 AM   #84
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainy142 View Post
Anyone ordering from mp4nation I can CONFIRM that the new models coming in on the 12th have the 4.0 firmware on it. And there will be a presale for those wanting to make sure they get one.
Got any idea of amount of units in the next shipment, Brainy142? And when the presale notice will go up? I am ready for the Q7, just need somewhere to get one from!

I had figured on MP4nation Cause there is even more there that I think I will be "needing".
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:30 AM   #85
Brainy142
Brainy142 began at the beginning.

Device: smart q 5???
I don't know how many he is getting yet, I will let you know when he reply's in the forum. Things are a little slow right now apparently due to Raz moving into a bigger office. (he said no player delays though). Good news about this is he will keep more stock of players AND (most importantly) he will have QC testing . Meaning every player sent out will be checked for defects.

Also, I should tell you that Dealextreme now stocks the Q5, if you want to order from them you might expect delays (currently) as they are getting stock of the Q5. Raz has stock of the Q5 ready to ship so if you want a Q5 do a price match with Deal to save $$$ (deal has it for 151 dollars).

HINT: Raz generally takes items off the shop while they are out of stock, so if you see a Q7 he probably has some (unless it says pre-order)

ps. I have heard from Deal that Q7 is a pain to get stock for (aka Smart Q cant keep up with the demand which is why they (currently) don't sell it.

Last edited by Brainy142; 07-11-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Brainy142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:00 AM   #86
svsmailus
svsmailus began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
smartq7 loading times

Hi,

Really liked your review.

I need something that will allow me to read copious amount of pdfs. I am a teacher and am looking for a device that enables me to to teach from. IE have my notes on display and be able to scroll through. This would allow me to store all my teaching notes on the device. Do you think the smartq7 would be good for this? Are you able to edit documents using the smartq7?

Also, in a teaching context I would need to be able to navigate fairly quickly through documents. Does the smartq7 have a sleep mode? How fast does it boot up?

many thanks

Simon

Last edited by svsmailus; 07-17-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
svsmailus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:27 AM   #87
alilxmas
Enthusiast
alilxmas has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SmartQ 7, VX787
Quote:
thx for reply
wat i am looking for is the SmartQ7 like device with [linux OS and WIFI and 7"/7"+ screen]
for under or about $100 .[i dont need much hdd space]

problem with netbooks
1]form factor ie screen,keyboard joint and folds on top of other ,as compared to SmartQ where i can just attach the keyboard and remove it wen not required.

2]expensive

3]screen size same
Well
alpha.mk1
I am not sure if its Linux or not, but for something like this that's cheaper, you might want to look at the Onda vx797.

8GB - $124.50 (Normal $139.50)

16GB - $139.50 (Normal $154.50)
from mp4nation
alilxmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:29 AM   #88
SwenneBanan
SwenneBanan began at the beginning.

Thanks for a very nice review, exactly what i was looking for.

I checked electroworld but i cant find any add to cart button, is it something wrong with the site??
Im browing on Firefox.

I also found q7 available from houseofdap for 209usd:
http://www.houseofdap.com/smartq-pla...tq-q7-mid.html
SwenneBanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #89
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwenneBanan View Post
Thanks for a very nice review, exactly what i was looking for.
I checked electroworld but i cant find any add to cart button, is it something wrong with the site??
Im browing on Firefox.
I also found q7 available from houseofdap for 209usd:
http://www.houseofdap.com/smartq-pla...tq-q7-mid.html
Eletroword do not have ebuying. You need to email an order with your name & address and they will email you back with a price and payment options. Despite the poorish look they have been found quite reliable and used by people here.
Another option is DX http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27441 (price inc's shipping)
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #90
Chumbah
Chumbah began at the beginning.

Evening all, having trolled this site for many months now searching for advice on ereaders, I thought I'd make my first post here, having finally bitten the bullet, and ordered and received my SmartQ 7.

If I might, I'd like to start off with my initial quandry... what to read the vast amount of PDF's I've acquired over time on (mainly technical manuals, although a fair amount of fiction too, and items that have piqued my interest - again, mainly in PDF format.)

I though eink was the way to go, and having waited eagerly for plastic logic to get their act together, have sought out informed views on the plethora of eink technologies currently available, as well as some more "unorthodox" mediums.

The issue I found was that despite eink having the clarity of vision, the lack of generic support for those documents most read, left most devices, in my opinion, wanting.

There was always a trade off (as there often is) insofar as some documents could be opened, some could not, or involved jumping through hoops of fire to get there.

Then there was the price... Irex have the size of both display AND cost. Everyone else either has 5" or 6" displays with the promise of bigger and better to come.

Well I tried holding my breath several times, and developed hypoxia for my troubles.

Hanlin were my preferred choice, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it following mixed reviews. ECooler were not prepared to offer a no quibble money back guarantee if I didn't like it, and expected me to shell out on a product unseen, and which appeared to have not received the best of reviews. And then there were others who promised decent 6" displays or better, and quite frankly either kept moving the goal posts, or simply failed to deliver the goods, and goofed out by adopting another brand and installing their own software on them - not quite "cutting edge"!

I really didn't want a laptop solution, and the range of tablets on the market were either cost prohibative, or battery life was abyssmal.

So, coming across Chippy's and Coldsuns reviews really got the old creative juices flowing.

A 7" touchscreen display, with "acceptable" battery life, with a degree of flexibility insofar as software available.....and a damn good price into the bargain! - SOLD!

My Q7 was received within 9 calander days from placing of order.

Out of the box it was virtually fully charged, although it took me a while to figure it out, it not having any discs, instruction manuals or any form of informative documentation (why??? - would it be so difficult?)

Figured out how to turn it on ( a big plus there!) and loaded up a 2GB card with some PDF's and music just to get me going.

The touch screen is not what I might call the most responsive screen I've come across, but is nonetheless functional. The Evince PDF viewer, does what it is supposed to do, and I can happily read all my material (Yay!!!!!!!) My only real gripe is that when in full screen mode and you page down, you are still left with around 5-6 lines of text that you have just read at the top of the page. I just wish there was a way to set parameters like that so suit the reader, say to just the last line or two. Ho hum, maybe there is?

Sonata, is again functional, although it can be like pulling teeth anally to use.

Web browsing is a nice feature, and I was able to easily get it to connect wirelessly at home.

I did try and put foxit on, but it wasn't having it. As for FBReader, as yet I have no real use for it with the material I have - at this time ;-)

I'd like WinCE, if only for that familiar Windows feel, but as it stands currently, the Q7 does what I need it to do.

Oh, and the one other great thing is that at night, it is marvelous to use with the back-light set to it's dimmest, the wife doesn't get woken up! and I can focus on reading as opposed to her snoring.

I admit that it's weakest link is use in bright daylight, but truthfully, my use of it in such circumstances is pretty rare, as I usually have other things to do.

So, with a 32GB card en route, I'm looking forward to a holiday with a good selection of both reading material, and sounds, leaving the kids to use their DS Lites, and the laptop for those occassional evening needs of games and movies.

So a big thumbs up to the Q7.

Should anyone take an interest, is there a decent FAQ on the Q7?, is there a use for the menu button below the page up/down buttons? is there a purpose to the two other buttons next to the power/suspend button?

Oh the list of questions can go on and on.... but in the meantime, I'll continue reading on my SmartQ 7!!

Oh, before I forget, can anyone recommend a decent cover for the Q7, and not some enlarged spectacle carry case?

Last edited by Chumbah; 08-02-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Chumbah is offline   Reply With Quote