Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-19-2024, 07:28 AM   #1
moldy
Enthusiast
moldy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Issue with Font Sizes in Epub - AZW3 Conversion

Modern books often contain text messages. To differentiate them from regular text I usually convert them to sans-serif font at 0.9em in the epub css.

Example:
Code:
.txt {
  font-family: sans-serif;
  font-size: 0.9em;
}
However after conversion to AZW3 the css is changed to:
Code:
.txt {
  font-size: 0.75em;
}
This arbitrary change can make the text difficult to read so I then have to edit the AZW3 to change the size back to my original setting.

I have noticed other font size changes (headings for example) but these are not as critical. Is there a way for me to keep the font sizes as I would prefer them to be?

I have not attached a file or log because this happens on every conversion so should be easy to replicate.
moldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:32 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by moldy View Post
Modern books often contain text messages. To differentiate them from regular text I usually convert them to sans-serif font at 0.9em in the epub css.

Example:
Code:
.txt {
  font-size: 0.9em;
}
However after conversion to AZW3 the css is changed to:
Code:
.txt {
  font-size: 0.75em;
}
This arbitrary change can make the text difficult to read so I then have to edit the AZW3 to change the size back to my original setting.

I have noticed other font size changes (headings for example) but these are not as critical. Is there a way for me to keep the font sizes as I would prefer them to be?

I have not attached a file or log because this happens on every conversion so should be easy to replicate.
Go to Preferences > Common Options and see what the settings are. You may have Font size rescaling turned on. I have it off and I have Base font set to 0.0 and nothing in Font-size key.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2024, 07:33 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
see https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conversion.html#fonts
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:58 AM   #4
moldy
Enthusiast
moldy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks Jon and Kovid for your quick replies. I had totally the wrong idea about font size rescaling and have now turned it off. Problem solved.
moldy is offline   Reply With Quote