Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-07-2024, 07:05 PM   #1
JollyRoger
Zealot
JollyRoger is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Can't download

I just went to download some books and 3 of them say C/MAC error and the rest of the error message I can't read. But I think it's saying update PC?
The two books that have ticks indicating that they had downloaded, don't appear in the KindleContent folder.
Does anyone know what's going on?
I'm using Calibre 7.6 with all the latest updates, and Kindle app version 1.17.1 Each time I open Kindle it does ask me to upgrade to version 1.3 but for obvious reasons I don't want to.
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:29 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Kindle for PC 1.17 no longer downloads books published in 2023 and 2024. Read this post about downloading those:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...61&postcount=1
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2024, 05:42 AM   #3
JollyRoger
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kindle for PC 1.17 no longer downloads books published in 2023 and 2024. Read this post about downloading those:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...61&postcount=1
Most of these fixes I've already done. The renderer rename I did some time ago and that's remained constant. I do have DeDRM and KFX input plugins installed and they must work as most books I download I can read, convert etc.
It must be just newer ones that don't work?
I downloaded some to the PC using send to USB and I can import these into Calibre as AZW3 files, but they won't convert.
Any other ideas?

Last edited by JollyRoger; 03-08-2024 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:47 AM   #4
JollyRoger
Zealot

Right I have found a brilliant and foolproof way to DRM modern books. It's a slight faff on compared to just importing them to Calibre, but as that doesn't work anymore at least this does work so I don't mind doing the books 1 by 1.
Not sure if I can share the method here or not?
Old 03-08-2024, 08:33 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
OCR of photos of screen works on anything.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
Most of these fixes I've already done. The renderer rename I did some time ago and that's remained constant. I do have DeDRM and KFX input plugins installed and they must work as most books I download I can read, convert etc.
It must be just newer ones that don't work?
I downloaded some to the PC using send to USB and I can import these into Calibre as AZW3 files, but they won't convert.
Any other ideas?
The newer ones work with Kindle for PC 2.3.1, deDRM 10.0.9 and the KFX Input plugin. No renaming needed.

As to using Download & Transfer with USB, did you enter the Kindle serial number in the deDRM settings?
Old 03-08-2024, 08:46 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Right I have found a brilliant and foolproof way to DRM modern books. It's a slight faff on compared to just importing them to Calibre, but as that doesn't work anymore at least this does work so I don't mind doing the books 1 by 1.
Not sure if I can share the method here or not?
Importing the books to Calibre does work. You just haven't set it up correctly. Read the post I linked again; it's been modified and several old methods no longer work.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:37 AM   #8
JollyRoger
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Importing the books to Calibre does work. You just haven't set it up correctly. Read the post I linked again; it's been modified and several old methods no longer work.
To be fair that post is long, complex, with offshoot posts you need to read too. And yeah some bits may not work now so I can be forgiven if I missed something.
I shall spend another hour reading and see if I can spot my mistake.
One of the difficulties is that if there's a link to Github, I don't know how to download files from Github. There's only links to source code.
Also there is no v2.3.1 to find that I can see. The nearest is 2.3.7

Last edited by JollyRoger; 03-08-2024 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:46 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Github download link is on the right edge a bit down the page. Vanishes on older browsers or too aggressive script blocking. Current Firefox works.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:59 AM   #10
estral
Just trying to survive
estral doesn't litterestral doesn't litterestral doesn't litter

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Try re-downloading the books and checking your Kindle app's sync with your Amazon account.
estral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:24 AM   #11
JollyRoger
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by estral View Post
Try re-downloading the books and checking your Kindle app's sync with your Amazon account.
I can't redownload the books as Kindle PC is giving me an error message every time I try saying PC needs upgrade
Old 03-08-2024, 11:38 AM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I can't redownload the books as Kindle PC is giving me an error message every time I try saying PC needs upgrade
That is why it has been suggested to you that you update your version of Kindle for PC.

Quote:
Also there is no v2.3.1 to find that I can see. The nearest is 2.3.7
If you follow the link and click on the "Download for PC & Mac" button you will receive version 2.3.1 on a PC with a filename of "KindleForPC-installer-2.3.70682.exe".
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 12:08 PM   #13
JollyRoger
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That is why it has been suggested to you that you update your version of Kindle for PC.

If you follow the link and click on the "Download for PC & Mac" button you will receive version 2.3.1 on a PC with a filename of "KindleForPC-installer-2.3.70682.exe".
Sorry, I know it's been suggested to download a new version, that's what some of my posts are about. I can't find the correct version.
Your link is to Amazon US, I'm in the UK. So it doesn't work but thanks for trying.
Old 03-08-2024, 12:21 PM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Deleted

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 03-08-2024 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Forget it, I read the instructions.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 12:24 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Your link is to Amazon US, I'm in the UK. So it doesn't work but thanks for trying.
The link or the program? Both should work!

Disable all script or ad blocking and use an up to date browser such as Firefox.

The Amazon US link works in Ireland. I don't run windows, so I can't tell about the program. But it should be the same as this UK link. UK is default Amazon for Ireland, though USA or Germany works, depending on product.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kindlepcdownload/

Gives KindleForPC-installer-2.3.70682.exe

You need also the download for NoDRM (might be link), which is here under Releases, where I wrote.