Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-28-2024, 10:44 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by _kind_le View Post
p.s. From what I see how Calibre is doing books work on my Kindle device - I have a feeling that it just copying stuff over to internal memory, after device is removed from system - its OS will do a recursive scan for new files on mounted storage and updates whatever mysql, sqlite, redis, etc. so since Calibre isn't touch db directly - technically you'll never have the situation described here. But I might be wrong of course.
True. Amazon disabled access to the database quite a while back. While being able to access the database has some risks, it also have some very useful benefits such as being able to send metadata, reading books statistics, etc. For me, the benefits are worth the risks.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:16 PM   #17
_kind_le
Enthusiast
_kind_le began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 11th gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
True. Amazon disabled access to the database quite a while back. While being able to access the database has some risks, it also have some very useful benefits such as being able to send metadata, reading books statistics, etc. For me, the benefits are worth the risks.
Absolutely, especially if a risk is managable.
_kind_le is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2024, 04:57 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Once again, Jon, there are ways to test for those files existence and reboot the Kobo but, for me, it's just as easy to simply reboot.

A script (quick and dirty would be using if [ -f /mnt/onboard/.kobo/<sqlite-wal filename> ] to check for the existence of a write ahead logging file ( either BookReader.sqlite-wal or KoboReader.sqlite-wal ) and triggering the reboot if either one exists) could be written and run from NickelMenu) but creating that file will be left as an exercise for the student.

Alternately, you could run entire command from NickelMenu. See the Toggle Screensave command for an example using test to detect a file's existence.
Thanks. I'll have a look at the Toggle Screensave command.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote