Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-18-2020, 10:59 PM   #31
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlow&Steady View Post
How likely is this glitch Amazon's intentional doing? This is intriguing to me...
amazon has a long history of gradually making it hrder and harder to side load content.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:00 AM   #32
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur
MrSlow&Steady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
amazon has a long history of gradually making it hrder and harder to side load content.
Oh dear.

This might mean we have to switch to Kobo if this keeps up. That or I hope Calibre comes up with an update to deal with this.

Last edited by MrSlow&Steady; 05-19-2020 at 12:22 AM.
MrSlow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2020, 12:47 AM   #33
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hengyu View Post
Can confirm that this works, but many steps are unnecessary.

Just do the following:

1. Sideload your book, you don't need airplane mode.
2. Cover will get replaced with a blank.
3. Replace the blanked cover with your Calibre cover in /system/thumbnails (sort by most recent, to make it easier). Copy paste the image you want and rename it accordingly.

Your Calibre cover should already be in your Calibre library to begin with, so there's no need to copy it to elsewhere. Click on the book's "Path: Click to open" to get to the book's folder and the cover should already be there.
I am actually having difficulties finding the System folder on Mac. It worked once but the second time I can't seem to find it. I am so mad about it.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:12 AM   #34
hengyu
Enthusiast
hengyu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2016
Quote:
I am actually having difficulties finding the System folder on Mac. It worked once but the second time I can't seem to find it. I am so mad about it.
Not sure about Mac, but on Windows you have to uncheck the "hide protected OS files" thingy before the folder shows up.
hengyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #35
zaqxsw
Connoisseur
zaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 - Gen 11
Quote:
Can confirm that this works, but many steps are unnecessary.

Just do the following:

1. Sideload your book, you don't need airplane mode.
2. Cover will get replaced with a blank.
3. Replace the blanked cover with your Calibre cover in /system/thumbnails (sort by most recent, to make it easier). Copy paste the image you want and rename it accordingly.

Your Calibre cover should already be in your Calibre library to begin with, so there's no need to copy it to elsewhere. Click on the book's "Path: Click to open" to get to the book's folder and the cover should already be there.
Works for me also. Thanks Androzes and hengyu!

It's another step , but it only took me a couple of minutes. Not a long-term solution, but a work-around right now. It also allowed me to clean out the other half dozen thumbnails from my previous attempts with the same book. Sorting by last modified is the tip, but I think it only works doing one book at a time, as I'm not sure how you identify the right .jpg in Kindle\System\Thumbnails if you didn't know that it was the most recent file.

I have around 100 eBooks on my Kindle PW 3, Gen 7, and none have been affected except the last, latest one that I side loaded yesterday. I don't understand that? I even side loaded in airplane mode, but the cover was stripped when I reconnected.
zaqxsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Oh dear.

This might mean we have to switch to Kobo if this keeps up. That or I hope Calibre comes up with an update to deal with this.
Kobo is really good with Calibre. eBook management with Kobo is so much better then Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #37
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Not sure about Mac, but on Windows you have to uncheck the "hide protected OS files" thingy before the folder shows up.
They don't make it easy do they...
Old 05-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #38
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kobo is really good with Calibre. eBook management with Kobo is so much better then Amazon.
Also Kobo tablets don't cost that much apparently
Old 05-19-2020, 03:31 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Also Kobo tablets don't cost that much apparently
We are not talking tablets. We are talking Readers.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:32 PM   #40
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
We are not talking tablets. We are talking Readers.
Oh good point
Old 05-19-2020, 10:28 PM   #41
Tempus Thales
Tempus Thales began at the beginning.

Device: None
Angry Aww for ______ Sake!

Still reading this entire thread but from what I was seeing to start with, this really sucks.

Some collections are missing covers some not, most single books not part of a collection seem to be gone.......

All that work trying to make some sense of the horrible Amazon menu and now this crap.

Nothing against Calibre (Great Program!)

But WTH Amazon??? I know I know they want everyone to buy their books but some of us can't afford to do that but did buy their reader product legitimately.

Guess I won't load more than a handful of books/series on there from now on. The thought of trying to make sense of 25+/- pages on there again is just mind numbing....

Sorry just had to vent....
Tempus Thales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:32 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Oh good point
Also, Kobo no longer sells tablets.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:08 PM   #43
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Also, Kobo no longer sells tablets.
Also I noticed the readers are overpriced. Also, they have no 32 GB readers anymore FML
Old 05-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #44
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

I wondered if you put on your Kindle long enough in airplane mode that the covers won't disappear. Has anyone tried this? And if so how long did it take?
Old 05-20-2020, 02:18 PM   #45
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Also I noticed the readers are overpriced. Also, they have no 32 GB readers anymore FML
Overpriced compared to what? A Libra H2O compared to a Oasis 2?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote