Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-18-2015, 03:50 AM   #1
MobiEpubMaker
MobiEpubMaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Arrow New Software: convert plain text files to epub/mobi format

Just wrote a program to convert one or more plain text files to epub/mobi format for my own use. I'm wondering if anyone else have the same needs. The software is free. Download it at mobiepubmaker.com. Any suggestions and requests are welcome! Wrote to me at i@mobiepubmaker.com or post it here.

This software is for Windows, about 9 MB size. Screenshot can be found here:
http://mobiepubmaker.com/help/

Last edited by MobiEpubMaker; 04-18-2015 at 03:57 AM. Reason: more inforamtion
MobiEpubMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Looks handy. You might want to add publisher to the metadata choices to avoid putting the app name where the author belongs. Do you use the file names for the TOC if the first line is not checked? I take it a blank line is used as a paragraph separator. Does it use an existing CSS if the file exists, or always build a new one?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2015, 01:17 AM   #3
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
Well tried it, and is disappointed.

1) Gave it 10 txt files, and it failed to convert most of them. All of them was utf8 files.

2) And this made me pissed a lot. Set the output folder to "user folder" and it deleted everything in my user dir (tried it twice, second time used random files in the dir, and it cleaned the dir again)

My advice for all is too leave this piece of crap alone until it's fixed
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:50 AM   #4
RobertDDL
Whatever...
RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 840, Touch HD 2
It sounds interesting. But, how do the text files have to be formatted? When you say, "Mobi Epub Maker can set the first line of the text file as chapter title" does this mean that each chapter has to be a separate file? (Not a good idea, I think). What about different heading levels? How do italics and bold have to be formatted in the text file? Block quotes? Verses? Blank lines? Footnotes?

Not all of this is indispensible, of course, at least not for a first version -- I'd settle for heading levels 1 and 2, and italics, and blank lines. It's a pity that there seems to be no widely accepted standards for tagged text files (or is there, and I'm just not aware of it?)
RobertDDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:08 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDDL View Post
It's a pity that there seems to be no widely accepted standards for tagged text files (or is there, and I'm just not aware of it?)
Maybe not a single dominant standard, but there's Markdown and reStructuredText (and maybe others), which are widely used.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
What is the advantage of this program over, say, calibre? Besides that calibre runs on OSX and linux, and this program does neither.

And calibre comes with several different ways to configure how the plaintext is read, including support for markdown: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conv...-txt-documents
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:08 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Maybe not a single dominant standard, but there's Markdown and reStructuredText (and maybe others), which are widely used.
Don't forget about Textile!
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:36 AM   #8
mikecook
Enthusiast
mikecook began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini, Nexus 7, Sony Reader, Kindle, and others.
Don't be too harsh on MobiEpubMaker, as s/he did say they made it for themselves not as some sort of calibre-killer.
mikecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:12 AM   #9
RobertDDL
Whatever...
RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
What is the advantage of this program over, say, calibre?
Hm, the advantage would be not having to use Calibre

(I think that Calibre does a good job at converting files, and I like the stand-alone Calibre reader, but I hate it that to convert files I have to submit to their totalitarian library-building ideology.)
Old 04-20-2015, 05:44 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I hate it that to convert files I have to submit to their totalitarian library-building ideology.)

Just do conversions using the command line; material does not get added to the library. See http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gene...k-convert.html
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #11
RobertDDL
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Just do conversions using the command line; material does not get added to the library.
I hadn't been aware of this -- thank you, this is very helpful!
Old 04-20-2015, 11:43 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hm, the advantage would be not having to use Calibre

(I think that Calibre does a good job at converting files, and I like the stand-alone Calibre reader, but I hate it that to convert files I have to submit to their totalitarian library-building ideology.)
Yep, calibre has a very well-developed cli.

Given that, I prefer battle-tested solutions which are more rounded, even if I needed to write drop targets for converting, even if the application is a larger download, etc.

I have nothing against new solutions, except I want to know what they can bring to the table over existing ones.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #13
RobertDDL
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Don't forget about Textile!
Thank you. I've looked at them, and others which I could find, but there wasn't one among them which I really liked. I'll stay with my own, which I can easily convert to HTML, which in turn can easily be converted to anything else. Actually, I think that basic HTML would be a pretty good format for e-books, if only e-book readers (or apps) would give it a little effort -- like, building a TOC from the header tags, which should be a trivial exercise. Or are there those that do?
Old 04-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Descriptions of Markdown, Pandoc, and others are in our wiki. The do provide some features that are useful for conversion.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:50 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Thank you. I've looked at them, and others which I could find, but there wasn't one among them which I really liked. I'll stay with my own, which I can easily convert to HTML, which in turn can easily be converted to anything else. Actually, I think that basic HTML would be a pretty good format for e-books, if only e-book readers (or apps) would give it a little effort -- like, building a TOC from the header tags, which should be a trivial exercise. Or are there those that do?
Let's go one step further, and allow you to manually specify the ToC.
Hey, now we have two files. Why not ZIP them so they stay together? Oooh, look -- EPUB!

AS far as reading HTML goes... I do know the Kindle supports TXT as a format, and will render it in HTML if it is in fact formatted in HTML. The extension must still be .txt for some reason.