Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which electronic reading format is easiest on the eyes?
E-ink 295 76.62%
Color LCD 14 3.64%
Both are equally easy on my eyes 76 19.74%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #46
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by X read X View Post
eInk eInk eInk!! (or TFT LCD in my case).

I mean do people not get it, an eReader is an eReader and a tablet is a tablet. If you want the enhanced reading experience use an eReader.
So i tought too, but as I found out for, some people - the iluminated display is the solution for reading troubles.
"weak eyes" doesn't always mean the same.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #47
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
I voted eInk, mainly since it's easily readable under more lighting conditions. In truth, neither one bothers me. I don't try to read backlit LCD screens in glaring sunlight, and I don't try to read eInk (or reflective LCD) screens in total darkness. YMMV.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #48
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Nice picture
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #49
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
cute picture

but i think that in most cases, moderation and taking care is the key

and while we're on the case of eyestrain, my dad gets on my case whenever he finds me reading (kindle) while my head is propped up on a pillow, not lying down, but not completely sitting up either. but my kindle is propped on my stomach, and they're on the same level. but he says my position will damage my eyes. is that true?
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:54 PM   #50
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:

I mean do people not get it, an eReader is an eReader and a tablet is a tablet. If you want the enhanced reading experience use an eReader. Whenever i look at a tablet i just associate work and obligation.
People in fact do get it. Some just get *it* differently.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2011, 12:01 AM   #51
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Nice picture

Nothing like a doctor advertising with zero scientific evidence or published studies to back up his claims. :roll eyes:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...se-eye-strain/
Old 11-11-2011, 01:35 AM   #52
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

I mean do people not get it, an eReader is an eReader and a tablet is a tablet. If you want the enhanced reading experience use an eReader.
So, the reading I do on my (backlit) LCD screen isn't reading? And I should read all those books again on my e-ink screen?

Why don't people just don't get it that not all are created equal? That not everybody thinks one technology is the best simply because others think so?

E-ink isn't "the" best solution. It's the best solution for some. It's a good solution for others and a terrible solution for still another group. The same goes for LCD. Or for screensize. Or screen font. Or even ways of navigation through menus or form of the device itself.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:08 AM   #53
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Nothing like a doctor advertising with zero scientific evidence or published studies to back up his claims. :roll eyes:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...se-eye-strain/
Though it quotes people in labs, I'm not sure your NYT blog entry qualifies as comprehensively scientific. Then again, I'm not sure that "Dr. Benjamin Sokoloffski, MD, Certified Board Ophthalmologist" actually exists. The photoshop artist should have spelled the name Sokolovsky to make searches more convincing. That ff is an (ahem) red flag to anyone remotely familiar with Russian names.

Speaking of scientific evidence, I notice that no one has commented on this post, which quotes Russ Wilcox on the benefits of eInk vs. LCD.

What say you? Does the evidence support Wilcox's points or not?
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #54
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
eInk all the way.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #55
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post

What say you? Does the evidence support Wilcox's points or not?
Those are some interesting marketing points about the technology from the former CEO of eInk Holdings.

I'm not sure where the evidence you are asking is, unless Wilcox and Eink Holdings, now PVI, have published some scientific results about them. He mentions parallax, for example. I'm sure some older LCD panels have that issue. But the iPhone 4 or Super AMOLED Plus screens don't.

But maybe Wilcox does have scientific evidence to support his points.
Hopefully it is better data than his marketing data, when he claimed eInk devices would outsell iPads in 2010.
EInk sales in 2010 (12 months): 9-10 million
iPad sales in 2010 (9 months) 14.8 million

I have zero doubt many people find eInk to be more suitable for reading. And I have no reason to doubt some suffer from medical issues from reading on LCDs. I just don't believe there is scientific evidence that supports one technology over the other in all cases, nor that reading on any screens will necessitate a visit to the doctor.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #56
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I found it interesting that the c/net poll results were so close to the MobileRead results.

I can read on either for short periods of time but I can't relax and read for long periods of time on a LCD like I can with e-Ink. I don't need scientific studies to tell me which works better for me and I don't believe any "experts" that tell me it doesn't make a difference. I'll be happy to switch to a new technology if it works better but right now I wouldn't give up my e-ink reader.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #57
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I had a Sony 650 and replaced it with an iPad. I have found I enjoy reading on my iPad much more than I did on my Sony because it is easier to read and I read for longer periods of time. It seemed with the Sony I would struggle a bit to focus on the 'print' and my eyes would need a break after about an hour.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #58
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
I can, and have, read comfortably on either type of screen for hours at a time -- even with my aging eyes. The advantage of an e-ink reader for me is the much greater battery life.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #59
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I don't know if I would call it "eye strain", but I do feel more comfortable reading from an e-ink device. It feels more relaxing, but I can't really pinpoint the cause. I do know that if I have to do a lot of intensive reading or studying then the e-ink screen wins hands down. Maybe it is just the long familiarity of reading books - the e-ink screen seems to reproduce this sensation really well (but without the need for a bookmark!). Perhaps we should do another poll with an age grouping as well? Maybe people who learnt to read on a computer screen learnt a different reading technique, but those who learnt only from books can't adjust so readily.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #60
Larken
Where's the backlight??
Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and Kobo Glo HD
I tend to be pretty sensitive to that which causes me stress, and if I am reading for a long duration, LCD definitely adds to the eye strain. It doesn't help that in many cases, I am reading under fluorescent lights which only adds to the strain. After a long session of reading, LCD makes me feel more tired and normally, I will have a slight headache. But if I am reading 15 minutes here and there, it doesn't really bother me. E-Ink, esp the new B&N Nook, is best for me. I spent 6 to 7 hours reading under fluorescent with no problem the other day on it.
Larken is offline   Reply With Quote