Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which electronic reading format is easiest on the eyes?
E-ink 295 76.62%
Color LCD 14 3.64%
Both are equally easy on my eyes 76 19.74%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #151
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've recently started reading on an iPad. I have no problems with it at all. I still read using my 650. Both are fine as far as my eyes can see.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #152
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Even so, the fact no one who has emphasized the equality/superiority of LCD had mentioned the smoothness and textural effect of e-ink on readability until I did suggests that stats and technical explanations of screen tech, as valuable as they are, cannot eliminate the validity of users' experience.
Just for pure pedantry, here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Due to the nature of pixels on LCD (perfect squares) vs. eink (rough-edged squares), LCDs require a higher pixel density to produce as smooth letter forms.
Also, while I agree with your stated need for comparing screens for oneself, I just want to point out what I've been pointing out -- you need to compare like to like. You can't compare reading on desktop/laptop monitor to reading on an eink device, yet that's often how the comparisons come out. "I stare at a PC screen all day and my eyes hurt. Therefore, I can't read on a handheld LCD device purpose-built for reading, with higher ppi, different backlighting, different fonts, different software, etc." If you compare like to like and you still decide that an eink device is preferable to you over an LCD device, okay. Great. Use an eink device. Nobody's telling you not to. But if you don't compare like to like and you flat out refuse to even try an LCD reading device because of your experience with completely unrelated technology, that's not exactly fair.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #153
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Just for pure pedantry, here:

Also, while I agree with your stated need for comparing screens for oneself, I just want to point out what I've been pointing out -- you need to compare like to like. You can't compare reading on desktop/laptop monitor to reading on an eink device, yet that's often how the comparisons come out. "I stare at a PC screen all day and my eyes hurt. Therefore, I can't read on a handheld LCD device purpose-built for reading, with higher ppi, different backlighting, different fonts, different software, etc." If you compare like to like and you still decide that an eink device is preferable to you over an LCD device, okay. Great. Use an eink device. Nobody's telling you not to. But if you don't compare like to like and you flat out refuse to even try an LCD reading device because of your experience with completely unrelated technology, that's not exactly fair.

You need to look at what I have written and what I use.

Before I purchased my first Sony e-ink ereader, I used a HP IPAQ PDA and a Samsung Omnia smartphone.

I have tried to read on my iphone4 with arguably the best LCD (retina) display available. I read comics and PDF reference books on my iPad2. Comics being short, mostly images and PDF being short term reference reading.

I KNOW what MY eyes prefer. Thus my preference above anything else is for an e-ink device.

In regards to comparison to a PC monitor type LCD, you need to understand that once bitten, once they dislike LCD screens for reading ebooks, people are not going to spend more money on another backlit LCD device that may or may not be better.

E-ink ereaders are designed to display ebooks as close to the pages of the DTB's they are replacing and they do this extremely well. LCD displays can not come close to replicating that.

That is a fact regardless to what side of the LCD vs e-ink divide you happen to be standing on.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #154
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Just for pure pedantry, here: . . .
I wouldn't say you were being pedantic so much as asking for credit where credit was due. Your request is reasonable, your point correct, and the bit you quoted above informative. Please cash in these 4,3961 smoothie points.

I wish we'd stayed with that sort of conversation rather than more adversarial approaches, which tend to speed threads along but aren't terribly useful.

Quote:
Also, while I agree with your stated need for comparing screens for oneself, I just want to point out what I've been pointing out -- you need to compare like to like. You can't compare reading on desktop/laptop monitor to reading on an eink device, yet that's often how the comparisons come out. . . .
Just as I'm guilty of not recalling a technical explanation in one of your earlier posts, so you seem not to recall the point I've been making repeatedly (even in the post to which you've just responded).

From the very beginning, I've mentioned the iPhone 4 as an exception in my experience with LCDs, and suggested (as anyone would) that this has to do at least in part with the higher pixel count and density. I also mentioned my hope that that same tech would come to iPads and laptops soon (since this thread actually predates certain rumors about the iPad3's screen, let alone its release).

I don't recall whether I mentioned it in this particular thread or not, but I've also said I'd be glad when non-trademarked pixel densities and counts became standard for non-Apple devices, and I've tried to stay alert to that possibility. And since SAMOLED Plus is real-stripe, I expect later iterations of that screen to move forward as well. (We'll see about its contrast levels later.)

My only caveat is the need to live with both kinds of screen tech -- pixel-improved LCD (and possibly SAMOLED Plus) and e-ink -- to be certain they're interchangeable over time.

This means I've been comparing like to like for several pages. What I haven't done is tested the Nook Color or Kindle Fire for protracted lengths of time, since I hadn't expected them to be easier to read than the original iPad and was/am unlikely to buy either device. If people claim those are as easy to read as e-ink, and they insist their claim is based on screen tech rather than personal experience, I'd like to know their reasoning beyond ergonomics and brightness/contrast adjustment.

And on behalf of others who have posted here:

To identify like to like, we have to be aware of the differences between the iterations of each kind of screen tech. People who compared their laptop screens to e-ink were making the comparison in good faith, since those are in fact LCDs and constitute the extent of many people's experience beyond smartphones and earlier media players. Being unaware of differences between vintages of LCD screens made within a few years of each other, and stating a preference for e-ink based on experience with the older LCD screens, does not make a mobile read member "ignorant." It might very well mean they haven't been exposed to later LCD developments because they try to avoid buying every expensive gadget that comes along, or even reading about said devices in order not to be tempted. Ignorance is not a synonym, after all, for thrift.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 03-24-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote