Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
fgruber
Edge User

LCD preview of e-ink book

It would very useful if we had a preview mode on the e-ink screen that would open the file on the LCD side allowing us to adjust zoom level and position and then once we are done we can send this view (zoom and position) of the pdf to the e-ink. This would be very convenient for complicated pdf with multiple columns etc where sometimes it is difficult to adjust because of the slow refresh rate of the e-ink.

In fact, interaction in the other direction would also be useful. For example having a button on the e-ink that would open the pdf on a pdf viewer on the LCD screen would be very useful. Specially if it can open the file at the right page number and zoom level. I would be an alternative to the camera button.

Last edited by fgruber; 05-19-2010 at 08:02 AM.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
fgruber
Edge User

I find the camera button a bit annoying with images because in order to see a good quality image you need to first zoom on the eink and then select the image with the camera button. Otherwise the resolution is quite bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Back at the beginning I "complained" to enTourage that the page scrolling feature on the eInk side was very crude for working with exactly the type of documents you're describing. I didn't get a clear response, but I get a response that it's something where they've tried different things (in the prototype) and hadn't found the perfect solution yet. We can hope there might be some sort of improvement either in the May update, or another one down the road.

I think others have noted to that it would be nice to open a Library PDF in the Docs-To-Go PDF viewer rather than the eInk side. Currently you don't have a choice. Your idea of swapping the current PDF from the eInk side over the the LCD side (as you say, an alternative to the Camera button, but for the whole doc, not just the current page) is a nifty idea

Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
StevenP
Edge User

I agree, fgruber. The quality of the color preview on the LCD side is very poor. Often the screen shots that I need to see are way too pixely to make out unless I zoom, like you said, on the e-ink side and then view it but that's not a really efficient way to work. It would be nice if the preview were a higher quality to begin with.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
dcubed2
Edge User

Oh, that would be nice, borisb! I've noticed in the very few pdfs with pics that work with Docs to Go, that they look a lot nicer than using the camera tool. But few of my pdfs work with Docs to Go, so I can't utilize the nicer graphics.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
vicinc
Edge User

I think point one one my famous now wish list is what you need. you zoom on lcd to whatever image than with a click transfer this to e-ink. as the both screens have a similar resolution.

Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
dcubed2
Edge User

Well, since most of my pdfs don't work on pdfs to go, and I want the eReader to be the default, with a good image based on the eReader side. So, I like your push to eInk idea, but also want push to lcd. Perhaps a two way push?

Old 05-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
vicinc
Edge User

have you tried repligo and beamreader? much better than docs2go pdf

Old 05-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
vicinc
Edge User

also MobilePDFViewer

Old 05-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
dcubed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
have you tried repligo and beamreader? much better than docs2go pdf
Not yet, do they work well on the eDGe? That might be a solution, so I can read on the eInk just like now, but see the color pics at a better resolution in one of those.

Which one does the best job on the eDGe with color pics?

Old 05-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
vicinc
Edge User

some of them needs ChrisF full screen procedure

Old 05-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
Franky
Edge User

It would be great if you could transfer a email, either partcialy or compleet, to the eink screen. I've got relative large emails in where I would like to make notes.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
vicinc
Edge User

see my point one on my wish list.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
makeinstallclean
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
It would very useful if we had a preview mode on the e-ink screen that would open the file on the LCD side allowing us to adjust zoom level and position and then once we are done we can send this view (zoom and position) of the pdf to the e-ink. This would be very convenient for complicated pdf with multiple columns etc where sometimes it is difficult to adjust because of the slow refresh rate of the e-ink.

In fact, interaction in the other direction would also be useful. For example having a button on the e-ink that would open the pdf on a pdf viewer on the LCD screen would be very useful. Specially if it can open the file at the right page number and zoom level. I would be an alternative to the camera button.
I think this is a perfect idea, or at the very least a way to set how fine the zoom and pan options on the eInk side are so even if you have to pan and zoom using the eInk you can have better control of how much it zooms and how far it pans per each click of the button for each. I think that would be an easy addition to the eReader settings screen.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:38 AM   #14
henry_moh
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post

Actually, it is just what I wanted to say. I need to browse the documents very quickly for a whole image (WITH NOTES!) to find a right starting point to read.