Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
20LEgend
Connoisseur
20LEgend began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Experimental

If there is a thread regarding this I humbly apologise and maybe someone could point me in the right direction.
I am troubled as to why is there a need to add an MP3 or web browser on the kindle. Mobile phones have gone down that slippery slope of trying to be your all-in-one-only-thing-you'll-ever-need-gadget.
If I want to listen to music I'll get out my music player and if I want to browse the web I'll look at my computer.
I really don't want a Jack-of-all-Trades machine. I love my master of one, Kindle.
20LEgend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
You may want to listen to background music whilst reading.

The 3G Kindle has free 3G browsing for certain countries so it is handy to have basic internet as a free bonus feature. Even the countries with restricted browsing have access to Wikipedia which may or may not be useful for you. The Kindle store on the Kindle is using the browser anyway.

Last edited by Tiersten; 02-09-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend View Post
If there is a thread regarding this I humbly apologise and maybe someone could point me in the right direction.
I am troubled as to why is there a need to add an MP3 or web browser on the kindle. Mobile phones have gone down that slippery slope of trying to be your all-in-one-only-thing-you'll-ever-need-gadget.
If I want to listen to music I'll get out my music player and if I want to browse the web I'll look at my computer.
I really don't want a Jack-of-all-Trades machine. I love my master of one, Kindle.
Well, it's first and foremost a device for reading E-books, of course. That said, the browers has one very important funktion; to give access to Amazon's shop on the fly. Also, if you have the G3 model, and let's say that you're in a park, you could access Wiki.

I actually do find the mp3 playback usefull because of the build-in speakers. Headphones can be uncomfable at times, and the sound quality for soft music is surprisingly good considering how small they are. Also, it's more handy using only one device, even though its funktion as a mp3 player (without modifications) is very limited. If I want to listen to, let's say, a audiobook, I would use my Santa Clip instead.

Edit:

I type way too slow.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-09-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
I think the web browser was thrown in as nice feature because it was easy to add since they had the 3G radio built in. It clearly is not intended to be one of the main selling features of the Kindle. E-ink displays don't lend themselves to displaying video and the browser doesn't handle pop-ups or audio. It's OK for text based sites.

The mp3 player is useful for listening to audio books and music. mp3 playback was probably added because it was easy once they decided to add hardware and software to support speech synthesis.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The MP3 player and browser are bonuses because both are used for other official reasons in the Kindle so Amazon are working on these features anyway.

The MP3 player core is used for Audible audiobook playback as one type of Audible file is based on MP3.

The browser is used for the Kindle store.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend View Post
That's fine, but the 3G Kindle selling point for me was ability to reading text-heavy news web sites without having to pay a monthly fee. As I hoped, the browser has gradually gotten better and better for this, partly because of firmware upgrades, but mostly because of techniques I read about here, and Kindle-friendly web sites.

Like it or not, the Kindle is a handheld computer, just like the Palm PDA's I previously used for similar functionality -- reading downloaded news and public domain books. News downloads using Calibre have turned out to be quite similar to what I used to get on the Palm via the old avantgo service -- a great feature I learned about from this site.

I could say that I don't want a Jack-of-all-Books machine that tries to get me to pay money for literature that I can, for free, take out of the good traditional public library two block away. But I see no point in finding the true essence of any particular computer model. The essence is whatever you decide to use it for.

As for the Kindle as a music player, although I don't know from experience, it apparently is worse than some Apple products. However, it is superior to the record and tape players I used the first half of my life.

Sorry if I am verging on a rant, but, on several other threads, people have seemed to criticize me for not recognizing the true inner essence of my device. Hopefully you don't feel similarly victimized, but, if so, I apologize.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 02-09-2011 at 08:27 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Hey well if you don't like it, you don't have to use it

I find the WebKit Browser enormously useful. As for the music player, not so much ^_^

A nice application of the WebKit Browser is the ability to download "updates" to side-loaded books without connecting to USB. Plus, it makes it easy to read your Google Reader feeds.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
B34M3R
B34M3R began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'll give you one of my personal experiences....

Have you have been stranded at an airport, with nobody aware are there, no money in your pockets, and your cell phone not working in that country? You'd be amazed at how much of a lifeline that free browser is when its the only thing that can notify someone to come pick your ass up(30 miles is one hell of a long walk).
B34M3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
They haven't "added" an mp3 player and browser - those have been there since day 1 on the Kindle 1. They've modified the browser, and tweaked how the ordering of mp3 playing works, but that's it.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
billmilo
Connoisseur
billmilo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Amazon can keep the mp3 players, and give me the ability to install my own screensavers.
billmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
20LEgend
Connoisseur
20LEgend began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Great answers, guys, I'll get my head out of the sand now, lol.
20LEgend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #12
JonB
JonB doesn't litterJonB doesn't litter

Device: Sony PR-505
Just to add, other eBook readers can play mp3 files (Sony PRS-505 is a good example) and Kindle needs to compete on features. That's probably the rationale behind it.

I think it is good that they have leveraged the feature so you can get the device to read the book out to you (despite it sounding horrible!).

On the other hand, I sympathise with your wish to be able to add images to the screensaver (I'm not a fan of the "dead authors" series either - what were Amazon thinking?).

Really, what we have here is a cheap book reader with an up to date eInk display and a very good book store backing it up. It out performs the earlier generation Sony PRS-505 in clarity and page turn speed, yet it costs half as much. A compelling buy.
JonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

the sound is actually fine on a set of decent ear buds. But I mostly listen to audiobooks rather than music or the odd podcast of some sort, I like Spider Robinson's podcasts as a rule and am always in the mood for a WWDTM or Car Talk episode or two.

Still given a choice I prefer a small MP3 player to using the Kindle because if I just want to listen to something it's hard to walk and use the Kindle to play something though I have made it work as a why-not-try-it sort of thing.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Having a browser allows you to sign in to Wi-Fi hotspots that require some form of login.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Conclusion: both the browser and mp3 player is absolutely necessary and inherent part of the kindle experience.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote