Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #16
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
In a chat with Amazon support reporting the issue:

So... does that mean that they are available in stores? :-)
Knowing how CS reps operate, I can almost guarantee that he was reading from a script.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:44 AM   #17
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Just got a call from Amazon, they asked for permission to grab my log files remotely. I connected it to WiFi, and they grabbed the logs... so hopefully they'll figure this one out. I also mentioned the spontaneous reboots and suggested that they might want to look for those in the log too.
That's good, at least they are addressing SOME issues.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #18
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
That's good, at least they are addressing SOME issues.
To be fair, software's a lot easier to fix after the fact than hardware issues.

That said, I got a good screen, so I'm not complaining.
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:54 AM   #19
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
To be fair, software's a lot easier to fix after the fact than hardware issues.

That said, I got a good screen, so I'm not complaining.
I am " v e r y " happy for you ... Still waiting for " m y " good screen....
Old 10-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #20
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Today this happened to me. I hit the sleep/on/off button. The screensaver kicked in, but the light remained on. I'll be watching this thread to see what happens.

UPDATE: I did the 15 second reboot and it appears to have fixed the issue (for now). I suspect its being caused by a magnet in the cover. People here are mentioning their Paperwhite magnetic clasp in the post. I have an old Sony generic Reader cover with a magnet on the clasp I am using. Ocassionally the magnet is turning on and off the unit. I think this is confusing the software when to turn on and off the light.

Last edited by solitarywolf; 10-17-2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: additional information
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #21
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitarywolf View Post
Today this happened to me. I hit the sleep/on/off button. The screensaver kicked in, but the light remained on. I'll be watching this thread to see what happens.

UPDATE: I did the 15 second reboot and it appears to have fixed the issue (for now). I suspect its being caused by a magnet in the cover. People here are mentioning their Paperwhite magnetic clasp in the post. I have an old Sony generic Reader cover with a magnet on the clasp I am using. Ocassionally the magnet is turning on and off the unit. I think this is confusing the software when to turn on and off the light.
Do you mean that it may be caused by on-Amazon covers, then?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #22
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Possibly.... Yes. I'm guessing the magnet is causing an issue. Unless someone here can stay theirs has the light issue and not a magnetic cover?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #23
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
Mine did this for the first time yesterday. I don't have the cover so that's not the problem, at least for mine. Only after I restarted it did it go back to normal. Otherwise every time it went to sleep or I turned it off the light would stay on whichever setting it was on.
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #24
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine happened with the official magnetic cover. When it got into that state, even with the flap all of the way open (magnet as far away as possible), pressing the power button would go to the sleep screen, but not turn off the light. I don't think it's the magnetic cover.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #25
twowheels
Wizard

Got another call from Amazon. Looks like they're serious about fixing the problem. I pointed them to this discussion to see that there are more occurrences than just mine. If you have any information to add, now's the time, they might be looking soon. :-)
Old 10-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #26
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Got another call from Amazon. Looks like they're serious about fixing the problem. I pointed them to this discussion to see that there are more occurrences than just mine. If you have any information to add, now's the time, they might be looking soon. :-)
Sorry to go OT but that is a mock up in your avatar right? I haven't been following developments in the kindle rooting world for a while...
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #27
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
Sorry to go OT but that is a mock up in your avatar right? I haven't been following developments in the kindle rooting world for a while...
:-) Yes... it was an attempt to combine my two primary reading devices and my love for cycling... a bit of image manipulation in gimp...

I made a new one when I got my Paperwhite, but it's not as visually interesting, especially shrunken to this size, so I left this one and have the other one on my profile page...

Last edited by twowheels; 10-18-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #28
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
:-) Yes... it was an attempt to combine my two primary reading devices and my love for cycling... a bit of image manipulation in gimp...

I made a new one when I got my Paperwhite, but it's not as visually interesting, so I left this one and have the other one on my profile page...
Okay, phew! I recently got a sony t-1 and rooted it right away.. your mock up looks very similar to zune launcher. I didn't realize just how much power the reader has until that; it's basically a ereader tablet.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #29
bZkindle
Fanatic

Quote:
:-) Yes... it was an attempt to combine my two primary reading devices .
What's the other primary device?

ETA: oh I see, it's just an iPad, right? My eyes are going so bad!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #30
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alism View Post
Mine did this for the first time yesterday. I don't have the cover so that's not the problem, at least for mine. Only after I restarted it did it go back to normal. Otherwise every time it went to sleep or I turned it off the light would stay on whichever setting it was on.
Thank you for this information. So it appears it is a software related problem not magnetic. Rebooting it solves it for now.... we'll see what Amazon has to say. I'm sure they will come out with an update of sorts.

The problem doesn't bother me unless one day I wake up to a dead battery before I go to work.

Thanks again for sharing your information!