windowsrefund began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
duplicate post

Last edited by windowsrefund; 12-17-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: duplicate post
windowsrefund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:08 PM   #152
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrefund View Post
Software that is distributed via licenses that restrict the user's ability to modify, use for any purpose, and redistribute is freedom-restricting. Of course, in order to understand this, you first need to understand what is meant by the use of the word, freedom. You may want to study up on that before spewing your uneducated blurbs all over public forums. You can find the information readily available on either the FSF or GNU websites.

Who says, you?

I think I'm in a much better position to determine what I want and what I need.
It must be wonderful living in an idealistic world where every piece of software you want is open source.

How on earth do you expect firms to protect Intellectual property for instance? Oh I forgot... IP is meaningless....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #153
grndslm
Enthusiast
grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It must be wonderful living in an idealistic world where every piece of software you want is open source.

How on earth do you expect firms to protect Intellectual property for instance? Oh I forgot... IP is meaningless....
Your entire argument is based on the stance of Kobo Corporation.

Do you work for Kobo Corp. or are you an end-user of Kobo Corp.'s products??

As an end-user... FREE > NON-FREE.

There's hundreds of reasons for the above statement, but only ONE for Kobo Corp.'s stance as to why NON-FREE > FREE. It begins with "Bottom" and ends with "Line".

Can we all not agree with this??
grndslm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #154
windowsrefund
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

For starters, please do not use the term "Open Source" when speaking to this issue. The correct term to use is "Free Software". If you need some background information on the difference, please see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-s...the-point.html

Also, please avoid using the term "Intellectual Property". Instead of using that misleading term, it would be helpful to better explain your concern(s) using a term or terms that are backed by real laws. Are you concerned about copyrights? trademarks? contracts? Please explain. Why are you primarily concerned with a single coorporation's ability to lock in their users? Also, if you're so concerned about this, why did you buy a Kobo to begin with? Why didn't you just buy a kindle or nook?
Old 12-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #155
nukedathlonman
nukedathlonman began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Desire Z, Linux powered Laptop
Just want to say I'm interested in Kobo Desktop for Linux. Presently I run Kobo on my HTC Desire Z and find it handy and great. If Kobo Desktop comes to Linux (esp. a 64 bit port), then that would be icing on the cake for me.
nukedathlonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #156
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
See this post for information on the latest version for Ubuntu.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:02 AM   #157
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrefund View Post
For starters, please do not use the term "Open Source" when speaking to this issue. The correct term to use is "Free Software". If you need some background information on the difference, please see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-s...the-point.html
It was a matter of battles some years ago. Some took it as a new idiom,
some did not. Nothing carved in the stone. Stallman accepted a step
toward the rest of the planet. In one interview he still called it "open
source". Just don't ask me to point to that article.

Quote:
Also, please avoid using the term "Intellectual Property".
May I call it "proprietary"?

The whole point was if manufacturer had right to hide code and give us
only parts that were open source? Probably not, but it would take years
on the court. And we'd have no ereader at all.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #158
0johntheripper0
0johntheripper0 began at the beginning.

Linux omg

Yes, a linux build would be excellent, hope this sees the light of day.

Backtrack 4 (Debian/Ubuntu), i386, (2.6.35.8 kernel)
0johntheripper0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #159
bcpayne
bcpayne began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Very Interested in linux version

I am interested, 64-bit please. Thanks
bcpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #160
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2183775/kobo-desktop.deb
It is the one and only Linux build (Ubuntu) given us by Kobo. It is not officially supported.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:08 AM   #161
vinnie1
vinnie1 doesn't littervinnie1 doesn't littervinnie1 doesn't litter

Device: Kobo wifi
I would like to try it out.

Debian 64bit
vinnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #162
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Hi guys,

I noticed a few of you are using 64-bit flavours of Debian and Ubuntu. The unofficial Kobo Ubuntu deb archive should be installable. You just need to force install the .deb and install ia32-libs.. and of course, resolve any other dependency issues that come up.

Let me know how it goes.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #163
windowsrefund
Connoisseur

Asking users to force a package install is really poor. Why doesn't someone take the time to package it correctly so dependencies are checked as they should be?

If it's ever released as free software, I'd help to package it correctly.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #164
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
You just need to force install the .deb and install ia32-libs.. and of course, resolve any other dependency issues that come up.
He-he! The kernel has to include 32 bit support and 32 libs should be
installed already. Dependencies are toward 32 bit libs, as far as I know.
Cannot say how it goes, since I always remove 32 bit support on my
64 bit node running another unix variant. It is a matter of decision on
the first place.
If you ask me, it is pretty obsolete to run 32 bit system on modern
hardware and with 4+ gb or ram. Pae is not that good as native memory
handling of 64 bit distro.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #165
iGregory
Gunslinger, say thank-ya
iGregory began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, Asus Transformer, Coby Kryos
Me Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH View Post
I have tried the earlier linux version of the desktop app.. recently I installed Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 the version I have does not work at all... the files are installed , but nothing happens when I click on the icon start the program .. where can I get an updated version

Harry
I'm having the exact same problem, Harry. Have you gotten anywhere with this? I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat. I really don't want to have to put Windows on this machine. Ubuntu has been so liberating for me... like getting rid of Bell

Greg
iGregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop, kobo, linux, software