Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-24-2018, 04:41 PM   #61
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you can buy a nG3 (nook Glowlight 3) in Canada and authorize it to ADE, then you can buy eBooks from Kobo and use eBooks from Overdrive without the need to buy eBooks from B&N.
I've wondered if that would work. At least she would have the Page Turn keys and, by all reports, a really nice front-lit screen. If the GlowLight could be authorized to use Kobo's store and Overdrive in Canada, I don't think finding a way to buy one and have it shipped to Canada would be that much of an obstacle.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've wondered if that would work. At least she would have the Page Turn keys and, by all reports, a really nice front-lit screen. If the GlowLight could be authorized to use Kobo's store and Overdrive in Canada, I don't think finding a way to buy one and have it shipped to Canada would be that much of an obstacle.
You don't authorize the nG3 to Kobo's store. You authorize it to ADE and then you download ePub from Kobo (not kepub) and use that with the nG3. Also, once authorized, it will work with Overdrive. With the current firmware, the NG3 has removed the partitioning.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2018, 02:53 PM   #63
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Where can you buy these Readers in Canada?
They can be ordered http://www.ectaco.ca/main.jsp;jsessi...0&keyword=Onyx

Amazon also has some under the BOOX name.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #64
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I didn't even know Ataco Readers were still made. Is Onyx their brand name?
Old 01-25-2018, 11:07 PM   #65
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
A amazon voyage has buttons. Damn expensive in Canada though. Amazon seems to hate Canada.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2018, 04:52 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
A amazon voyage has buttons. Damn expensive in Canada though. Amazon seems to hate Canada.
It's the same price in Canada as it is in the UK. UK price is £169.99, which is CAD 298.60 at today's exchange rate. Canadian price is CAD 299.99.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:07 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's the same price in Canada as it is in the UK. UK price is £169.99, which is CAD 298.60 at today's exchange rate. Canadian price is CAD 299.99.
And that is expensive.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:41 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And that is expensive.
Certainly it is. I was simply noting that Canada is not being singled out by Amazon for high pricing, as the previous poster appeared to be suggesting.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Certainly it is. I was simply noting that Canada is not being singled out by Amazon for high pricing, as the previous poster appeared to be suggesting.
Thing is, you can get a Kobo Aura One for $249.99 and a Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 for $199.99. That does show that Amazon is price gouging in Canada.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #70
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I didn't even know Ataco Readers were still made. Is Onyx their brand name?
Onyx is a company name, not a brand. They use Boox as the brand name but Onyx is also used for their products. I do not know if Onyx makes the Etaco brand but the web size handles both devices it would seem.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #71
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
For a while (around Christmas) Amazon was selling refurbished Voyages for $120 – but only in the United States. But that was exception, not the rule.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:35 PM   #72
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I don't know how easy it is to replace it, but my T2's battery is strong – all my Sony batteries are strong, even the 505 and 300 (which are much older than the T2).

After a little research: Looks like the T2 is a "snap-apart" device like the earlier Kindles. Batteries cost about $12 and would take about 10-15 minutes to replace.
I have to agree, I have several Sony readers, which, while only occasionally used (usually for a reflowable PDF or to test an epub on an older device) are checked monthly. None seem to have any battery problems.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:42 PM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I have to agree, I have several Sony readers, which, while only occasionally used (usually for a reflowable PDF or to test an epub on an older device) are checked monthly. None seem to have any battery problems.
It's nothing to do with the reader, just the physics of lithium batteries. They have a typical lifetime of around 5 years or so, after which they'll die. The PRS-T2 is about 5 years old now, so any battery will be approaching end of life. Of course, some batteries live longer - it's pot luck how long any individual battery will last.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #74
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
If your mom is reading library books, she can get a Kindle Oasis or Voyage. On the overdone site, there's a choice of downloading an adobe book or a Kindle book. I've done both and the Kindle book method is easier.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
If your mom is reading library books, she can get a Kindle Oasis or Voyage. On the overdone site, there's a choice of downloading an adobe book or a Kindle book. I've done both and the Kindle book method is easier.
The OP is in Canada. It certainly used to be the case that Kindle devices could only read library books in the US. Do they now work in Canada?