Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What work of fantasy shall we read for December?
Sylvie and Bruno by Lewis Carroll 7 77.78%
Green Rider by Kristen Britan 1 11.11%
Swords and Deviltry by Fritz Leiber 3 33.33%
The Magic City by Edith Nesbit 4 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2017, 06:50 AM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
December 2017 Book Club Vote

December 2017 MobileRead Book Club Vote

Help us choose a book as the December 2017 eBook for the MobileRead Book Club. The poll will be open for 5 days. There will be no runoff vote unless the voting results a tie, in which case there will be a 3 day run-off poll. This is a visible poll: others can see how you voted. It is You may cast a vote for each book that appeals to you.

We will start the discussion thread for this book on the 20th of December. Select from the following Official Choices with three nominations each:

Sylvie and Bruno by Lewis Carroll
Goodreads | Patricia Clark Memorial Library: ePub | USF/Lit2Go Audiobooks: S&B / S&B Concluded
Print Length: 488 pages
Spoiler:
This is a hard work to classify. It has fantasy, it has humor, it has philosophy, some parts are nice for children, some parts contain more "grown-up" thoughts. Nevertheless, the style and imagination of Carroll is evident throughout the book. It is also surprising how he manages to touch so many subjects of interest today, quotes and situations can be found to illustrate relativity, evolution, topology, emergent intelligence, self-referencing... It's, in my opinion, a very pleasant work to read and a nice discovery.

The book is fully illustrated with the 92 original illustrations by Harry Furniss, which account for the large size of the file (I preferred to keep the images rather high-quality).

Green Rider by Kristen Britan
Goodreads | Amazon US / Kobo US / Overdrive
Print Length: 483 pages
Spoiler:
From Goodreads:

On her long journey home from school after a fight which will surely lead to her expulsion, Karigan G'ladheon ponders her future as she trudges through the immense forest called Green Cloak. But her thoughts are interrupted by the clattering of hooves as a galloping horse bursts from the woods, the rider slumped over his mount's neck, impaled by two black-shafted arrows. As the young man lies dying on the road, he tells Karigan that he is a Green Rider, one of the legendary messengers of the king, and that he bears a "life and death" message for King Zachary. He begs Karigan to carry his message, warning her not to read it, and when she reluctantly agrees, he makes her swear on his sword to complete his mission "for love of country." As he bestows upon her the golden winged-horse brooch which is the symbol of his office, he whispers on his dying breath, "Beware the shadow man..."

Karigan's promise changes her life forever. Pursued by unknown assassins, following a path only her horse seems to know, and accompanied by the silent specter of the original messenger, she herself becomes a legendary Green Rider. Caught up in a world of deadly danger and complex magic, compelled by forces she cannot understand, Karigan is hounded by dark beings bent on seeing that the message, and its reluctant carrier, never reach their destination.

Swords and Deviltry by Fritz Leiber
Goodreads
Print Length: 254 pages
Spoiler:
The award-winning sword and sorcery classic that introduced Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, from a Grand Master of Science Fiction and Fantasy.

First in the influential fan-favorite series, Swords and Deviltry collects four fantastical adventure stories from Fritz Leiber, the author who coined the phrase "sword and sorcery" and helped birth an entire genre.

[I]From Goodreadsj[bI]

For the first time-the story of how the greatest heroes in fantastic literature first met.

'The two thieves had themselves been robbed by two youths, who eyed each other suspiciously over the sprawled, senseless bodies.

Fafhrd said: 'Our motives for being here seem identical.' 'Surely, they must be!' the Mouser answered curtly, fiercely eyeing his huge, potential foe.

Fafhrd glanced down at the belts and money-pouches of the fallen thieves. Then he looked up at the Mouser with an honest, open, ingenuous smile.

'Sixty-sixty?' he suggested.

Thus was born the most improbable relationship in the whole history of swords and sorceries.

The Magic City by Edith Nesbit
Goodreads |
Patricia Clark Memorial Library: ePub / Kindle
Print Length: 212 pages
Spoiler:
When young Philip Haldane and his new step-sister Lucy (whom he resents) are magically transported to a magic city (created by Philip from odds and ends from about the house), they find themselves on an incredible enchanted adventure complete with talking dogs, winged horses, ancient buildings and magic islands. How Philip and Lucy come to forge a friendship and work together to save the Magic City from impending disaster makes for a riveting, entrancing story.

From Goodreads:

Philip Haldane builds a play city out of odds and ends that comes to life, when his beloved sister Helen marries Lucy's father. But the nurse tears down the city and traps Lucy. Peter, The Deliverer, must perform seven valorous deeds, opposed by the Pretenderette, a mysterious veiled woman who wants to be Queen. Noah builds an ark and adventures abound.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-27-2017 at 04:50 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Even though I seconded Green Rider, I will not be voting for it. I'll be voting for Lewis Carroll or Fritz Leiber.

Last edited by CRussel; 11-29-2017 at 09:26 AM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have joined in to help give the Club a send-off. Sylvie and Bruno is one of those books of which I had heard but have never read, and I'm very happy to give the Edith Nesbit a try also.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would have hoped that Leiber's book would have gotten more uptake, but the Lewis Carroll will be interesting, or at least I hope so.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
To no one's surprise who followed the voting, Sylvie and Bruno by Lewis Carroll won the toss. This mixture of humor, fantasy, and philosophy that promises to touch on relativity, evolution, topology, and emergent intelligence should be most interesting.

Also, issybird has posted the poll for 2nd Chance January (2018).
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2017, 07:41 AM   #6
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Are you reading "Sylvie and Bruno" and "Sylvie and Bruno Concluded", or just the first?
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Are you reading "Sylvie and Bruno" and "Sylvie and Bruno Concluded", or just the first?
I'm reading both, but certainly the first is enough to go with!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I wish there were an available Audible version (yes, I know there's Lit2Go version, but I frankly find Audible much easier to deal with in my day to day life.)

That being said, I've got Sylvie stacked up second on my TBR. Should give me more than sufficient time to read it before the discussion starts.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I wish there were an available Audible version (yes, I know there's Lit2Go version, but I frankly find Audible much easier to deal with in my day to day life.)
How about Librivox? While preferring Lit2Go, astrangerhere mentioned Librivox version(s) and at least Librivox has an app, making it less of a nuisance to access.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I think I'll probably just read it. I've got audio books backed up right now, so it won't be a hardship.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:04 PM   #11
Sharkie
Sharkie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
How does one join this group?
Sharkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)

By participating in the discussion. There are no limits to membership. So, since we've already chosen the book, Sylvie and Bruno, for this month, just read it and join the discussion (Which will start on the 20th with a new thread in this sub-forum.)

Also, you might want to follow along in the Lit and MR Book Clubs -- the way forward thread. We're currently working to define a new club that will take the best of both existing clubs and end up with an all new entity here.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #13
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Hello Sharkie. Do join us in the reading and discussion. You will find another voting thread for January as well, so have a look at that too.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #14
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I missed this vote but am absolutely delighted with the choice. Sylvie and Bruno is a neglected masterpiece. I look forward to reading it.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll start reading Sylvie and Bruno either later today or tomorrow. I have it ready to go.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote