Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #16
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
I am having the same problem. My epub export is straight from ID CS5.5, I edited bits and pieces in TextWrangler (not image related). When I discovered the blank after the cover image, I also edited the size to be under the iPad max screen size, now I have the blank pages before and after!

Looks fine in ADE, validates on threepress. No good on iPad.

Can anyone help?
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:49 AM   #17
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Let me guess... You use iBooks on the iPad? If you insist on using iPad, use a reader which at least respects the ePUB format more.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 02:51 AM   #18
iain robinson
Connoisseur
iain robinson began at the beginning.

Device: none
Those of us that are making files for others want to try and make sure our file looks right in as many ereaders as possible and iBooks is too big to ignore unfortunately, which is why we're all trying to find workarounds.
iain robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #19
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
@iain, i may have found the reason for our troubles.

after powering off my ipad for a few hours, and then rebooting, my epub cover showed up differently. I had been experimenting with smaller cover image sizes earleir (and also lowered res from 150 to 72dpi) but initially could not see any change.

until i rebooted.

now the image is too small (i'll go back an fix that) but at least it is showing up on page-one, and there is no blank page before and/or after it. odd, as i was also editing other elements of the epub and those changes showed up immediately. perhaps there is an image cache, and the blank pages were just a result of the image dimensions exceeding ipads max screen size.

if that is the case, i wonder how other readers handle the oversized image. and i wonder if there is a way to empty the cache without a full shutdown.

let me know how you go.
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:58 PM   #20
Monaghan
Enthusiast
Monaghan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
Make your image 600x860 pixels.
This is the magic number for iPad, anything larger and it will put a black page in whether you have it set to 100% height or not.
Seven years after you posted, this post just solved my iBooks blank page issue. Many thanks! It seems the bug is still there in 2018.
Monaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #21
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
That just shows why iBooks isn't really a contender anymore...apple doesn't give a rip about improving/fixing their product and is content to let it sit...

In any case, welcome to MR!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:35 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
That just shows why iBooks isn't really a contender anymore...apple doesn't give a rip about improving/fixing their product and is content to let it sit...
Problem is that is if Apple was to fix iBooks, the workarounds might no longer work and cause other problems for eBooks created with the workarounds.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:43 PM   #23
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
lol...that's no doubt true as well....although I think that makes it even worse...a company that won't fix the problems with their software because people are so used to working around their problems that it would break more stuff to actually do it right!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
They have made changes to the software. It supports ePub 3 now.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote