Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-16-2018, 07:17 AM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Moderator Notice
Some are flirting dangerously with political commentary in this thread. Cut it out, or take it to the opt-in Politics & Religion section where such conversation is permitted.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #32
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I never was much of a mall person, but malls used to be a social center for teenagers and young adults -- like downtowns were before malls. I think what is really killing malls is the same thing that is killing brick an mortar stores in general -- the Internet. Kids' and young adults' social center is now Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and (for some, I guess) Facebook. I don't know them all, but I'm sure there's others. I wasn't much for malls, but I think it was healthier than this isolation of virtual reality.
There is a lot of truth to this, but a lot of kids are also hanging out at places that have stuff to do - Movie theatres, Dave and Busters and the like, or they will hang at someone's house.

Locally, the traditional department store mall is dying, but a less traditional, out door mall are booming. Some of it is knowing your customers. The booming outdoor mall near me is very upscale and caters to the affluent, upscale crowd. It is a mixed use mall with condos and stores and has all the right stores - Whole Food, Apple, Tesla, plus a lot of upscale clothing shops and a high tech movie theater.

There are other outdoor malls that are centered around things like Lowes, Walmart, Costco and the like. It's all about knowing your customer base and what they are looking for.

I suspect that local bookstores that make it tend to have something unique about them that appeals to the local market. Maybe it's a very knowledgeable staff, maybe it's social, maybe it's simply a favorable financial situation.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #33
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
This reminds me I got some gift cards to use up.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #34
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
If they advertised the New nook and sold the cases at the same time they may have a much better holiday season sales. It seems like B&N does not even try
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
If they advertised the New nook and sold the cases at the same time they may have a much better holiday season sales. It seems like B&N does not even try
Yeah, they spent however much on developing the device, then used some spare change to advertise it.

I remember the commercial for the original Sook STwG was what convinced me to go check one out.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #36
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Indoor malls have higher heating cooling costs. I've seen some converted to outdoor malls 30 years ago and many more recently.

A relative works at home online for a major insurance company and just moved from San Francisco to Arizona for lower cost of living and less traffic.
A dying indoor mall in my area was remade as an outlet mall with no roof over the main area between the stores. I wondered why they did that - to me part of the appeal of an indoor mall would be you wouldn't have to deal with putting on and removing a coat, or using an umbrella between stores in inclement weather.

I do like having brick-and-mortar stores for things like clothing and shoes that I need to try on; also for electronics that I would prefer to see in person before buying. As long as the cost isn't outrageously higher than online I'm willing to pay a slightly higher price for the convenience of trying out the goods and being able to take my purchase home right away.

I have to admit I hardly ever go to a physical bookstore anymore even though there is still a Barnes and Noble in the local mall, and an independent bookstore downtown. I do all my reading as ebooks and I get them online.

Last edited by 4691mls; 02-17-2018 at 01:06 AM. Reason: fix typo
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:23 AM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Some are flirting dangerously with political commentary in this thread. Cut it out, or take it to the opt-in Politics & Religion section where such conversation is permitted.
If you're not living on the edge, you're not living.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:11 AM   #38
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
I don't feel sorry for B&N anymore. Only for the consumers left with fewer options every day. If someone wins a billion dollars in the lottery, you should hook up with Kovid to make an ereader designed with calibre in mind.

Like someone else said, they aren't even trying. Saving money is supposed to be a path towards having more money in the future. Spending money on inventory and staff is an *investment*.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:42 AM   #39
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
I don't feel sorry for B&N anymore. Only for the consumers left with fewer options every day. If someone wins a billion dollars in the lottery, you should hook up with Kovid to make an ereader designed with calibre in mind.

Like someone else said, they aren't even trying. Saving money is supposed to be a path towards having more money in the future. Spending money on inventory and staff is an *investment*.
They would rather keep on paying dividends to the stockholders until they drain all value from the company. I'm guessing the end game is for Ingram to buy their backend facilities since it is the only thing of value B&N actually owns. They have no IP, the stores are leased, and the stock is all consignment.

And their name is quickly becoming Mudd.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #40
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I recently bought a Nook Glowlight 3. If B&N goes under, which is beginning to look likely, I'll never be able to reset that thing again since it gives no way to get past registration. And that's also true for my Nook Glowlight Plus.

I don't care that much about the Glowlight Plus but I do enjoy the Glowlight 3 and I'd hate to be unable to use it for sideloaded books. Maybe I'll have to look into another OS for it while I still can.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #41
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I recently bought a Nook Glowlight 3. If B&N goes under, which is beginning to look likely, I'll never be able to reset that thing again since it gives no way to get past registration. And that's also true for my Nook Glowlight Plus.

I don't care that much about the Glowlight Plus but I do enjoy the Glowlight 3 and I'd hate to be unable to use it for sideloaded books. Maybe I'll have to look into another OS for it while I still can.

Barry
Oh man, I hadn't thought of this. I was seriously considering buying the Glowlight 3, I really like the way it feels in my hand. Bummer.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:18 PM   #42
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I stopped in to the local Circuit City after they got rid of the experienced personnel. It was so bad I couldn't even laugh.

Anyway, I have an ongoing problem with a Nook subscription, the Asimov's/Analog Combo subscription. Bottom line, I get both magazines for the price of one, so I don't want to let it go. For the second time, now, I have gotten Asimov's on time but no sign of Analog. This happened last December for the Jan/Feb issues, and just happened again for the Mar/Apr issues.

I just got off the phone with B&N customer support. It took 10 minutes to get the service rep to understand my problem. Then, she repeated the problem back to me, confirmed that Analog should have been there, said she didn't know why it wasn't ... and seemed to think I'd accept that as a reasonable answer and hang up.

I insisted on speaking to the manager and, after 10 more minutes, at least got a commitment to have the magazine by Monday. I honestly don't think it will happen, but we'll see. The supervisor seemed surprised when I asked for her name before hanging up.

I can get individual subscriptions at Amazon, but it would cost twice as much. If they continue to screw up, I guess I'll have to.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:56 AM   #43
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
I went into the B&N closest to me today and the whole nook section was shut down. No tablets and no eink readers. The Nook desk was there but it was being used to store other things. The only thing for sale were covers for the glowlight 3.
which store?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #44
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman
I went into the B&N closest to me today and the whole nook section was shut down. No tablets and no eink readers. The Nook desk was there but it was being used to store other things. The only thing for sale were covers for the glowlight 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
which store?
One in Northern California
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:04 PM   #45
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post

One in Northern California
thanks!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote