Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-25-2024, 06:49 AM   #1
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
Finally able to support authors

I have always wanted to buy ebooks from amazon, covert them to epub. With the new drm, I could no longer do it. Kinda forced me into finding the ebook online with out the drm.

My eyesight is not good, and I like to use moon reader pro to read my books to me or a program I own that works like moon reader pro, I can do the same on my desktop pc.

So I googled remove DRM from amazon books. Took a gamble on the software that swears it can do it, paid my 50 bucks for a life time license, and the gamble paid off.

Now I can finally buy the books I want, use the program I bought and covert it to epub so I can read it how ever I want and need to.

Just stupid Amazon did what they did to ebooks. They only want you reading them on there software. It just forces people to look at places that you can get the ebook with out the drm. Kinda forces you into the pirate life.

Maybe calibre can do it now? No idea, does not matter, I have the software to do it. Just nice I no longer have to pirate books, I can support the authors work, and can convert it to epub. Amazon is just really screwing over authors.
tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:17 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
In the future, maybe check this site, especially this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=351285

Quote:
... Amazon is just really screwing over authors.
Maybe some authors? If the authors really cared, they could not do business with Amazon (not sign contracts that allows DRM on their books).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2024, 07:44 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym View Post
Kinda forced me into finding the ebook online with out the drm.

<SNIP>

It just forces people to look at places that you can get the ebook with out the drm. Kinda forces you into the pirate life.
No, it doesn't and it never did. No one is entitled to read a book in the format they prefer just because they want to, if they can't acquire it legally. Read something else.

And another eyeroll on the "life time license." Good luck with that.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:59 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
They charged you $50 for a license that is worthless. They make their money by charging for the code of volunteers. Ironic that someone who wishes to "support" authors is fine paying people who charge for code they had no hand in writing.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-25-2024 at 09:37 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:26 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
So, you paid for getting books with a pirated code that you can get for free. Nice.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 03-25-2024 at 09:32 AM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2024, 09:28 AM   #6
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
So I googled remove DRM from amazon books. Took a gamble on the software that swears it can do it, paid my 50 bucks for a life time license, and the gamble paid off.
So you paid 50 bucks for Epubor, I take it?

I'm glad it's working for you, I suppose. Epubor is not terribly well-regarded on these forums because they basically just appropriate the DRM-stripping technology from DeDRM/NoDRM (offered for free as a Calibre plugin) and then put it into a clunky GUI and charge money for it. You could've achieved the same end-result, for free, using Calibre + NoDRM.

If it's working for you, then, I hope you got your money's worth. Just be aware that if Amazon changes their encryption scheme yet again and DeDRM hits a wall on new encryption, you should probably assume that Epubor will hit the same wall, since it's using the same technology on the back-end. Your "lifetime license" might not help much, then, as I doubt the Epubor maintainer is going to personally try to crack the new encryption.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:14 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post

If it's working for you, then, I hope you got your money's worth. Just be aware that if Amazon changes their encryption scheme yet again and DeDRM hits a wall on new encryption, you should probably assume that Epubor will hit the same wall, since it's using the same technology on the back-end. Your "lifetime license" might not help much, then, as I doubt the Epubor maintainer is going to personally try to crack the new encryption.
My guess is that Epubor would just wait for someone else to crack it and use the code; there would be more searches and more opportunities to sell more licenses (or maybe charge a little more for a "pro" version).
Old 03-25-2024, 10:51 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I have always wanted to buy ebooks from amazon, covert them to epub. With the new drm, I could no longer do it. Kinda forced me into finding the ebook online with out the drm.

My eyesight is not good, and I like to use moon reader pro to read my books to me or a program I own that works like moon reader pro, I can do the same on my desktop pc.

Now I can finally buy the books I want, use the program I bought and covert it to epub so I can read it how ever I want and need to.

Just stupid Amazon did what they did to ebooks. They only want you reading them on there software. It just forces people to look at places that you can get the ebook with out the drm. Kinda forces you into the pirate life.

Maybe calibre can do it now? No idea, does not matter, I have the software to do it. Just nice I no longer have to pirate books, I can support the authors work, and can convert it to epub. Amazon is just really screwing over authors.
You've been seriously RIPPED-OFF! CHEATED! BAMBOOZLED! TAKEN FOR A RIDE! SCAMMED! Calibre with the DeDRM plugin works better and is FREE!

You could have been buying eBooks in ePub with DRM that could hae been removed and if the ePub says it has no DRM, it's has no DRM.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-25-2024 at 10:54 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:56 AM   #9
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You've been seriously RIPPED-OFF! CHEATED! BAMBOOZLED! TAKEN FOR A RIDE! SCAMMED!
FLIMFLAMMED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
My guess is that Epubor would just wait for someone else to crack it and use the code; there would be more searches and more opportunities to sell more licenses (or maybe charge a little more for a "pro" version).

Exactly. My point is, if tym is assuming that the "lifetime license" means he will report a book unable to be decrypted by Amazon's newest scheme to Epubor and expect that they will fix it, he/she is likely to be disappointed. More likely, the maintainer will just stay mum if/until DeDRM fixes it, then send out a new press release, "Good News! In our latest bleeding-edge version of Epubor, we have cracked Amazon's latest DRM schema!"
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 02:22 PM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I'd agree with y'all if Calibre/NoDRM was actually easy to learn about and use. It's neither.

However, ePubor has never worked for me either. Calibre/NoDRM works for me now - but it's a constant battle for me. Well, it's an every so often battle.

I'd gladly pay $50 to any company that made keeping up with Calibre/xxDRM "one click" easy.

As for paying the author. You could have and should have always been doing so no matter how you got the book into your preferred reading app. Just buy the book even if that wasn't the soure of what you read.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 04:12 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I'd agree with y'all if Calibre/NoDRM was actually easy to learn about and use. It's neither.
To disagree with you, I've found calibre quite easy to use from the day I first installed it over a decade back. I've used multiple versions of DeDRM and once I inserted the correct information, I've had few problems other than waiting for a new version when Amazon tries to stay ahead of the game.

Quote:
However, ePubor has never worked for me either. Calibre/NoDRM works for me now - but it's a constant battle for me. Well, it's an every so often battle.
I've never used ePubor since it is a ripoff. On the other hand, I don't consider updating calibre or DeDRM as a constant battle.

Quote:
I'd gladly pay $50 to any company that made keeping up with Calibre/xxDRM "one click" easy.
Your money, your choice. A fool and his money are soon partying.

Quote:
As for paying the author. You could have and should have always been doing so no matter how you got the book into your preferred reading app. Just buy the book even if that wasn't the soure of what you read.
I agree that if you want to read an ebook, purchase it pay for the license. I do not remove DRM from loans since I did not "purchase" them and my native format is ePub. For Kindle owners outside the USA that may be more of an issue since downloadable library loans are mostly in ePub format which is not natively supported by a Kindle ereader or app.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 05:10 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Inconceivable!
Old 03-25-2024, 05:42 PM   #13
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I know, every time I say "it's not easy for me" - and I'm an IT professional and have been participating here for 15 years -- I will get "well it's easy for me". Good for you.

On the other hand, the "thread that never ends" stands as testimony that a LOT of people do not find it easy AT ALL.

It doesn't help that we are not allowed to make it clear and easy. But, I respect the forum admins position on this.

With all the time I spent getting it working, and then it would stop, and I'd hunt down and getting it working again, and then it would stop...

I would have been "money ahead" - for time is money - had ePubor actually lived up to it's promises. But it didn't - for me.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 06:04 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I know, every time I say "it's not easy for me" - and I'm an IT professional and have been participating here for 15 years -- I will get "well it's easy for me". Good for you.
For me, my history with computers goes back to the 1970s. My first home computer was a Data General Nova 1210 with 8K of core memory (a company I was working with gave it to me as payment when they were going out of business since they had no money left). I later built several S-100 bus computers using various CPUs, IBM PC clones, etc. I finished my career as an infrastucture (VMWare and HyperV hypervisors, wireless and switches) and network administrator (core switches and firewalls) which I admit to have loved since it left others to deal with end users most of the time.

So yes after 50+ years working with computers, most of what I do now is easy. If nothing else, given decent google-fu, finding relevant information is a lot easier than it once was.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 06:57 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Looks like DNSB's is longer.