Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Falchetta
Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Ipad with Kobo and Kindle apps
Question Kobo book files - not epub

I have a quick, maybe...'dumb' question re. the Kobo book files.

A while ago I was so excited that the Asterix comics had finally become available that I bought one (on Kobo) right away and downloaded it to the Kobo app on my iPad without much thought. I had a quick look and it looks ok, while not as good as the good old fashioned paper version it's good enough. Also....due to various reasons I had to give up my paper comics so I was looking forward to the digital compromise.

My question is, when I got around to signing in to Kobo and look at my library list, I noticed that unlike the other ebooks the Asterix is not available to download as an epub (I do like to do that as a back up).

I guess....it's ok, as a color comic vs text/novel format chances are I'll read them on the iPad 99.99% of the time, but still, was curious, if not an epub, what file is it?

And, since I can't download it, I guess back ups are not possible? I'm left to trust in Kobo?
Falchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You might check to see if you can find a .cbz or .cbr file on your iPad. I am not an Apple user, and would not be surprised if they have their own format for their devices. There is also the possibility of DRM, to consider.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falchetta View Post
My question is, when I got around to signing in to Kobo and look at my library list, I noticed that unlike the other ebooks the Asterix is not available to download as an epub (I do like to do that as a back up).

I guess....it's ok, as a color comic vs text/novel format chances are I'll read them on the iPad 99.99% of the time, but still, was curious, if not an epub, what file is it?

And, since I can't download it, I guess back ups are not possible? I'm left to trust in Kobo?
I had a quick look at the Asterix comics on the Kobo site. When I clicked on the What Devices link, it showed Tablet, iOS, Android, Windows which would be a pretty good indicator that an epub version is not available.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
If you want to provide the URL to the page of the book on the store I can have a look at it, but I suspect it's what we would term as a fixed layout epub. I do not believe we have ever provided a download option for fixed layout content, and I don't recall the exact reason why I'll try and remember to ask on Monday, and I don't want to speculate and cause confusion.

What I can say is that it would be an epub file, getting specific, it'd be a kepub file, as it'd have been through our CMS system and had our (Kobo) DRM applied to it.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote