Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #16
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsz View Post
It doesn't?

Try buying a cheapie book to test it out. Unless you have a credit card with a US billing address you're sol!

I am confused (again ) How does a credit card's billing address enter into it. Only the bank need's to know that. The online credit card transaction does not use an address in order to be approved, just the card details, and the little security number from the back.

When you are downloading your purchase, an address isn't even required for delivery. So, an online store like this NEVER needs and address from you.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #17
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
You can circumvent geographic limitations any old time by using VPN. If you have to.

But, for ANY transaction that requires PURCHASING with a CREDIT CARD, that's when you're up against the US billing address problem. Certainly it ain't Astak's fault that most books can only be sold within US.

My point is: myreader.com has the same restrictions regarding overseas PURCHASE, as any other ebook store in the States. If anybody knows of any US bookstore that allows purchase from Overseas, please, do enlighten me. Thanks.
Ah so GR comes into play when you actually purchase (most stores indicated when browsing the book details whether GR apply).

Ok, I will change my previous statement. It is good being an Aussie and having an ebook store where some freebies from Google books are not imposed by GR.

Learn something everyday. Thanks rszx
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #18
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I am confused (again ) How does a credit card's billing address enter into it. Only the bank need's to know that. The online credit card transaction does not use an address in order to be approved, just the card details, and the little security number from the back.

When you are downloading your purchase, an address isn't even required for delivery. So, an online store like this NEVER needs and address from you.
Don't quote me but apparently your credit card number has a particular pattern (the first 4 or so numbers) identify the type of card and the bank, so an online vendor should be able to identify a country of origin for the card.

ie: the first 4 on a number is Visa, 3 is Diners or Amex (the 3 is followed by a 6 or 7 I think to denote whether it is Diners or Amex). Then some how the remaining numbers come into play. Just as a reference (http://www.articlesalley.com/article...t_Card_Numbers)

So the billing address I think is more a country check to see if it matches with your CC number.

Last edited by Solicitous; 04-10-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Forgot stuff
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #19
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm, another reason to use PayPal or does PayPal identify your country somehow as well?

Anyway, I don't recall Robert mentioning restrictions on the pay section, just the Google free stuff. He needs to clarify all this, and if there are restrictions, we need to be able to filter out the stuff we can't buy while browsing the site.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #20
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
wrong section, sorry.

i signed up though, even though I guess Canadians can't buy?
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

1) Using Bank card billing info for any purpose other than authenticating the purchaser would have constituted a Merchant card Contract Violation as the goods were delivered directly and not by common carrier/company truck, who would need said address for delivery. These rules are part of the standard Mastercard-Visa required boilerplate.

2) Standard Credit card (Merchant) rules and California State law limit the merchants ability to refuse payment by credit card that has/can be authenticated.

3) California law prohibits recording personal information on a transaction that has been authenticated other than that needed for delivery. You can not record Telephone, D.L. #, address .

You can use any International Visa card in any US bookstoer to make a purchase. No Geo restrictions for THOSE transactions.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #22
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
1) Using Bank card billing info for any purpose other than authenticating the purchaser would have constituted a Merchant card Contract Violation as the goods were delivered directly and not by common carrier/company truck, who would need said address for delivery. These rules are part of the standard Mastercard-Visa required boilerplate.

2) Standard Credit card (Merchant) rules and California State law limit the merchants ability to refuse payment by credit card that has/can be authenticated.

3) California law prohibits recording personal information on a transaction that has been authenticated other than that needed for delivery. You can not record Telephone, D.L. #, address .

You can use any International Visa card in any US bookstoer to make a purchase. No Geo restrictions for THOSE transactions.
Hi ducks,

You seem to be saying that there's no way they can restrict the sale of a book if a credit card is used, and authenticated, to pay for it, and you download the purchase rather than have it delivered.

Mastercard works internationally too, like the Visa btw.

Looks like we can happily proceed to keep purchasing books.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #23
rxsz
Connoisseur
rxsz began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
CC verification

Well, the billing address is used to check against the info that the CC company has about that card in their database. Else, without any other info other than CC number and CCV and name on the card, then it is too easy for fraud.

Let me give you an incident from personal experience. When I retired and went globe trotting, I had my mail forwarded to my attorney. Good old USPS informed my credit card company about the mail forwarding. My transactions overseas were refused left and right. Even voice calls to CC security did not get my purchases authorised, even though I answered every question about my account, except they neglected to ask for my listed address!

It wasn't till I logged on and checked my account details did I find out what happened. They had my attorney's address listed as my billing address. So, no match with the data I entered during Internet purchase. Definite "fraud"!

Another time, same CC company, years later, some computer glitch had them changing my address to some place spurious. Same end result. "Fraud"!

Try entering a typo of your address or phone number on your next internet purchase. It will get flagged and you'll get a call from the vendor (if the given phone number was incorrect, you'll get an email).

As to whether the numbers somehow indicate what country it was issued in, I can't say. All I know is I am still using the same US issued CCs with the same numbers as when I was in US. No changes, other than a more permanent overseas address. None of my US CC companies cared that I'm now overseas, so long as I pay my monthly bills. No problem with using ATMs from wherever either, just had to call and asked for a note to be placed on my account that I'm *permanently* globe trotting.

As to being able to use paypal to get around US centric problems. A gray area. I funded my paypal account with a very large amount! Did not change my address or US phone number. So hey, Astak, get that paypal payment going, here's a yank trying to do a transaction, from your neck of the woods.

Sorry about the thread going off on a tangent.

Quote:

rxsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #24
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:

Try entering a typo of your address or phone number on your next internet purchase. It will get flagged and you'll get a call from the vendor (if the given phone number was incorrect, you'll get an email).
Sorry, but the address I give the supplier is NEVER the same as my CC billing address. For a start, I usually use a Post Office box for delivery. I never have any troubles with the transactions.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hi ducks,

You seem to be saying that there's no way they can restrict the sale of a book if a credit card is used, and authenticated, to pay for it, and you download the purchase rather than have it delivered.

Mastercard works internationally too, like the Visa btw.

Looks like we can happily proceed to keep purchasing books.
Sorry to say that Visa does not have the gonads to back up their contract terms (I complained about a Merchant that kept pressing for me to use other payment, instead of the presented Visa card. Terms: All forms of payment are to be treated equal. There were pages and pages of fine print rules.) Until they do, your choice is to take yor business elswhere
Complain to you Card issuer (Visa's instructions , when I complained) about a Merchant that rerfused to take your card for payment. Complain to your State department about those <insert country> business that refuse international trade and request a National Boycott (that should put some pressure on stupid publishers that pet high value trade at peril.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #26
jusmee
Wizard

Wait till Robert hears about the National boycott!!

Just joking Robert!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #27
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Signed up Robertb.... Good luck with the site... It looks like a good nascent launch....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:50 PM   #28
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
Even though there are Canada issues --errrrrrrr

My Family signed up !
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:37 AM   #29
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancelx View Post
Even though there are Canada issues --errrrrrrr

My Family signed up !
At least you're still in for the freebie draw
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:15 AM   #30
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook Glowlight, Nook Color, Kindle 4, Astak Pocket Pro
I'm in...Got to finish a few books I'm working on but will defiantly check here first for the next ones I get.
kdf9511 is offline   Reply With Quote