Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-16-2020, 06:01 AM   #1
ArjenVegt
ArjenVegt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (2019)
Book covers have disappeared

Hi,

Today I uploaded a new book via Calibre to my Kindle (2019) in the same way as I always do, which is converting the file to MOBI, add a suitable book cover image and then send it to my device.

However, for some reason the latest 4 books I uploaded don't show the book cover anymore. When the new book was added the image was visible for a few seconds, and then disappeared.

All the books I added previously still show the book cover I chose at that time.

Does anyone know why this has happened and how to solve it?

Kind Regards,

Arjen
ArjenVegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
pokeit
pokeit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
This is happening to me too. Maybe a Kindle software update?
I've just posted about it in the Calibre forum.

Workaround is to manually replace the thumbnail.
pokeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2020, 05:20 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Only really ancient Kindles need mobi. Using azw (KF8) and select "publisher" on the Aa menu if it looks the same as mobi.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:48 PM   #4
Androzes
Androzes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 (2015)
This is also happening to me...

...But it seems i found out what's going on. When the Kindle is connected to wifi, it starts looking for metadata (possibly on Amazon Database) and if it doesn't find a match, the covers disappear. This is my theory.
Attached Files
File Type: avi Book-Cover-Issue.avi (1.43 MB, 345 views)
Androzes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
I had the same problem. I first noticed it with free Tor books. With those, I had downloaded the mobi format and sent it to my kindle email. No book cover. The next month a free book had a 32 mb file size in mobi, but half that in epub. Since the download speed was very slow that day, I downloaded the epub and converted it to mobi. That file did have a cover when emailed to my kindle. I then removed the cover less books from my Amazon account, deleted the mobi files from my computer, converted epub to mobi for 5 books and sent them to my kindle. They all now had a cover.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2020, 03:18 PM   #6
v.06
v.06 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 6
hey ! , i have the same problem , i deleted the books from my kindle , converted them again and nothing changed , any suggestions ?
v.06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:48 AM   #7
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
I saw this over at reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...m_medium=web2x
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:06 AM   #8
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
If Amazon can do this, even accidentally, what's to prevent them from deleting any book from your reader with an ASIN that the customer has not purchased?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:10 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
If Amazon can do this, even accidentally, what's to prevent them from deleting any book from your reader with an ASIN that the customer has not purchased?
As it's their ASIN being misused, I expect that would be perfectly legal. But hard for them to do if the device is kept offline
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #10
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Glad I'm not alone on this - driving me nuts on some books I just copied over, per usual, this morning -- all of which should have covers, but don't on my Kindle
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:14 PM   #11
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
They have the technical ability to do this anyway (once upon a time, it was used to make library books vanish at the end of their lending period).
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:58 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Publishers own their ISBNs, but it doesn't give them any right to delete books that I gratuitously used their ISBN on. The ONLY control they have is that I can't share, distribute or publish books that I put their ISBN on.

I think in the UK it comes under Computer Misuse / Hacking act if a company remotely removes books from your ereader you didn't licence off them*. They absolutely have no right to prevent personal private use of an ASIN. No-one can own a string of digits in that sense to prevent you using them in a personal database. That's a crazy idea.

[* It's a grey area even doing it with books you claim you licenced and didn't really sell, which is why they claimed after the 1984 deletion saga publicity that they would never do it again.]
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:35 PM   #13
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think in the UK it comes under Computer Misuse / Hacking act if a company remotely removes books from your ereader you didn't licence off them*. They absolutely have no right to prevent personal private use of an ASIN. No-one can own a string of digits in that sense to prevent you using them in a personal database. That's a crazy idea.
I suspect that you'd only see problems from this feature's current use if you got a library book, put *another* book *with the same ASIN* onto the Kindle, then waited for the book, uh, not sure what you call it: pass into its return period?

Of course if you do put two different books onto the Kindle with the same ASIN at the same time it misbehaves anyway, so you're well into the realm of "don't do that then".
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:12 AM   #14
lhkeeper
lhkeeper began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Good to know I’m no alone in this.. happens the same to me...
Anxious to know how to see again the cover books, it is driving me crazy...
lhkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:31 PM   #15
abhisheknandi
abhisheknandi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5.12.4 ( Basic model)
Calibre team is already working on the fix ( problem created by Amazon) and they will most probably roll out the fix in Calibre Version 4.17.
Kindly check the other discussion forum for more details.
abhisheknandi is offline   Reply With Quote