Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
ekampreet
ekampreet began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH, KOBO GLO
Unhappy Kobo Glo Hangs Frequently

Hi support,

I was looking for a E-Reader with backlight option for some time, and few days back I bought my first kobo reader device for the purpose, which was KOBO GLO READER.

Earlier I was using the Nook Simple touch, so was little bit familiar with the E-Ink display and was very excited to have KOBO GLO.

Now when I started using the device , I found that, my Kobo Glo hangs alot and when it hangs screen doesn't respond at that time, even power button and light button don't work. Eventually I need to do the reset thru paperclip.

It it was happening once a day or week , I will be ok with that, but now this is happening minimum 4-5 times daily. Few instances when this happened :-
1. I was reading a PDF (size 10MB) and then I connected my device to laptop for charging. It hangs.
2. I disconnected my device from laptop and tried to use it, it hangs.
3. + many more , which even I couldn't find out.

And when it hangs, no power button or light button works. At last I need to reset the device thru paper clip.

Please help me, as while using my Nook Simple Touch for last 3 year , I never faced such issue. But using Kobo Glo for a week , I have to use paperclip for more than 40 times.

Also note that :-
1. I am not using more than 100 MB of space on my device.
2. It is running latest firmware. i.e. 3.12.1.

Please help.

Regards,

Ekam
ekampreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Is it just happening with this 10mb pdf or with any content? That's a pretty big file so it might not actually be frozen, just processing things and if you wait it might come back to life. Memory and cpu limitations of a Glo along with a less than perfect pdf rendering image with Kobo might be your stumbling block.
If it's happening with all content I would try a factory reset (you'll have to reload your books and may lose any bookmarks/annotations you have) first. You can find that in the settings - device info menu. You could try just logging out/back in to your account (that will delete your books etc, but you won't have to reload the firmware updates) but I think I would go factory reset.
If that doesn't work I would contact actual Kobo support via their website (this is just a community of helpful Kobo owners, not actual Kobo support) and get it replaced as it could be a bad device if it's still happening on all content.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #3
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
I had a problem with similar lock-ups on my Glo after it updated from 2.81 to 3.12.1. I have now updated to 3.13.1 and the lockups haven't re-occurred.

Of course today is Friday the 13th so no doubt lockups will recommence today

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote