Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
How about a Print Icon?

I would like a icon that I can click to send my catalog to a printer.
I would like to be able to customize the output as to which columns will be printed in which order and have Calibre remember those preferences.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
The current way of doing this is to choose to create your catalog in CSV format. You will be able to select which columns to output and calibre will remember the selection.

You need to open the CSV file in Excel (or other spreadsheet) to change column order and print according to your preferences. If you know how to write Excel macros you could automate the reformatting/printing.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 04:58 AM   #3
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
I'm glad to see I'm not the only user who thinks being able to easily print the booklist would be extremely useful. Exporting csv to externally mess with formatting and reordering columns is unnecessarily time consuming.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:04 AM   #4
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's another one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalaniel View Post
2. Print gui list. I understand the catalog generation options but there seems to be no simple way to generate a printed list similar to what I see in the gui Library view. It's awkward and time consuming to output XML or CSV then use some outside application to clean that up for printing, when what I want printed is what I have already formatted and prettily displayed in the gui. Suggest adding a capability to print gui Library list, again with selectable and orderable fields. Suggest that it apply only to the records currently displayed so the printout could reflect specific searches or tags. There could also be a feature to generate that same formatted table output to printer *or* disk. The lack of an easy Printing feature is the main reason I still need to keep a separate db of pBook and eBook metadata in a spreadsheet. I'd love to get rid of that and keep it all in calibre.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I'm sure that if someone got a patch together, Kovid would consider it. However, I don't know if it is on the "official" roadmap somewhere, and if it is, how far up it is.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 05:59 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I'm sure that if someone got a patch together, Kovid would consider it. However, I don't know if it is on the "official" roadmap somewhere, and if it is, how far up it is.
It isn't on mine. Can't speak for other devs.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Not on mine either. All of my lists are in catalogs.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:41 AM   #8
unboggling
Wizard

I'm not a developer. So I'm probably naive in thinking it wouldn't take that much work. But correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't some calibre routine(s) already grab and massage all the metadata I see before putting it in the main gui list? Wouldn't it be easy to take that same output and convert it entire for printer output? Isn't that just another sort of conversion, this time to some printer decipherable format such as PS or even PDF?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:10 AM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
While it could potentially be somewhat easy, you're forgetting that this is an open source application. This means that mostly, the developers create functionalities that they themselves are interested in or see a use for. Also, at least in my experience, something that should be trivial tends to break things horribly in some totally unexpected place
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Wouldn't it be easy to take that same output and convert it entire for printer output?
No.

Printing is in fact hard. There are lots of issues to deal with. For example, paper doesn't have scroll bars and screens don't have page breaks. Paper is linear -- screens are not. And I don't even want to think about how to convert calibre's library data model and data formatting into something printable. My guess is that weeks of work would be required to get something that would pass muster.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #11
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
And, while you may not want to do the 'awkward and time consuming' work on the CSV in Excel, you get exactly what *you* want as the output.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #12
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
And, while you may not want to do the 'awkward and time consuming' work on the CSV in Excel, you get exactly what *you* want as the output.

G
. . . and if it's something you're going to be doing often, you can set up a macro to do that work for you - then it becomes "Create the CSV file from Calibre and press a button in Excel to import. convert and print it".

This is not intended as a sarcastic remark (honestly!). I know it's not an integrated solution (which would obviously be preferable), but it will do the job you want quickly and easily - albeit using two applications instead of one.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #13
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediax View Post
. . . and if it's something you're going to be doing often, you can set up a macro to do that work for you - then it becomes "Create the CSV file from Calibre and press a button in Excel to import. convert and print it".

This is not intended as a sarcastic remark (honestly!). I know it's not an integrated solution (which would obviously be preferable), but it will do the job you want quickly and easily - albeit using two applications instead of one.
OK. Sorry once again about propounding my incorrect newbie assumptions. The macro solution works well enough.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
OK. Sorry once again about propounding my incorrect newbie assumptions. The macro solution works well enough.
posting the macro for all to use would be nice.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Printing, even a simple 1 liner per book would burn a lot of paper (and printer time).
Your library may be a few dozen books. Mine is 2000+ and there are mentions here of 5K 10K and even 15K book Libraries.

If you printed Grikers catalog: It would be 1page (assuming reasonably short metadata comments) AND a few lines Per Book
(the book details, the Author entry, the Recent/date-added list, the genre list)

There is very little need to Print.
Keep the current catalog ON your reader (or external chip if ro device supports it), Use the "Browse your library from anywhere (if you own/have permission, your computer and have a full-time connection).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote