Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-04-2018, 10:35 PM   #1
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Crazy fonts

I was looking up a word in the Oxford Dictionary, suddenly the search screen text went nuts, perhaps the font encoding?

Other text and books was OK. But if I reopened the OED, any search still showed similar text.

I rebooted the Kindle and so far, back to normal.

This is on a PW3, firmware 5.9.2

Wondering if others have seen the like or have any explanation?
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:44 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Yes I have seen this also Plus other problems with Kindles... switched to Kobo over a year ago
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2018, 12:19 PM   #3
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
I had a similar issue with my PW3. The problems turned up everytime I changed from an embeded font to a normal one and viceversa. I 've rebooted several times and updated the firmware but I'm not sure that it's this the final solution until a long use. I'm glad listen other experiences about the issue
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've never seen this on any of my Kindles. But then I don't use embedded fonts or publisher fonts. All my books are sideloaded, with embedded fonts removed from body text.

I have to say that I had various problems with my Kindles a few years ago when I downloaded books directly from Amazon and I have seen people complaining about the same or similar issues even now. Most of the problems vanished when I switched to sideloading my books from Calibre instead of downloading them directly. Editing takes care of various font problems which still happen even in traditionally published books.

Admittedly most people don't want to mess with their books or with sideloading. But I've found it spares me a huge amount of trouble and annoyance.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:18 PM   #5
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Never seen that before. Hopefully I never do. Knock on wood.

I also never had any issues with my books downloaded direct from amazon on any of my kindles. Although I use calibre to backup my library, I never sideload those books, I just use the regular amazon books. Only sideloaded stuff are some recipes basically I put on via sendtokindle.

I use all my kindles out of the box, no altering and all my books direct from amazon. In my 10 years of kindle use, I never had any issues with any of them really.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2018, 02:20 AM   #6
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've never seen this on any of my Kindles. But then I don't use embedded fonts or publisher fonts. All my books are sideloaded, with embedded fonts removed from body text.
Most of my books are ones I convert and load via USB.
I usually strip out fonts as well; very are actually necessary.

But this issue was in one of the standard dictionaries as-is from Amazon.
Should work regardless of font settings I think.

I do wish that that Kindle remembered font settings per book rather than having it be a universal setting; some I really do want the embedded font for some special text; though not the body text, and the size, since some for some inane reason have their body font "small" (fixable if I mess with the CSS, but tedious) so when I switch books I have to change the font size.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #7
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Yes I have seen this also Plus other problems with Kindles... switched to Kobo over a year ago
Funny. I ran into similar problems with Kobo including physical fragility of the units and switched over to Kindle a year ago. Still miss the Pocket integration and nice layout options. Don't miss the failure rate.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote