Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #181
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony T1, Onyx C67ML, Poke 4, Boyue Paper/Likebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuz View Post

If you can recommend other good reader apps for this device, please do.
For ebooks: Alreader and Moonreader

For pdf: the stock app (I would say it is Fbreader with the plugin, although the name in settings is Adobe reader), Moonreader (with pdf plugin), Perfectviewer (with pdf plugin) and Orion viewer.

Dictionary: Goldendict

Root: Root Master (by Cekas)

Battery saving: Greenify Pro, HEBF Optimizer , All-In-One Toolbox

Others: Bar shortcut (create shortcuts to apps in the bottom bar), Root Explorer, Power Menu, Wifi File Trasnfer
colibris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #182
cpuz
cpuz began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibris79 View Post
For ebooks: Alreader and Moonreader

For pdf: the stock app (I would say it is Fbreader with the plugin, although the name in settings is Adobe reader), Moonreader (with pdf plugin), Perfectviewer (with pdf plugin) and Orion viewer.

Dictionary: Goldendict

Root: Root Master (by Cekas)

Battery saving: Greenify Pro, HEBF Optimizer , All-In-One Toolbox

Others: Bar shortcut (create shortcuts to apps in the bottom bar), Root Explorer, Power Menu, Wifi File Trasnfer
Thanks so much. Really helpful list.
cpuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:21 AM   #183
cpuz

Anyone else having a problem with WiFi and standby? If the device goes on standby while the wifi is on, and then wakes up, the wifi signal continues to blink in the status bar, and in the settings the switch for wifi keeps switching between on and off forever. This stops only when I shutdown and restart.

I am experimenting with the settings but for now I try to turn off wifi if I don't use it so that it doesn't standby accedintally while wifi is on.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #184
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony T1, Onyx C67ML, Poke 4, Boyue Paper/Likebook
Quote:
Anyone else having a problem with WiFi and standby?
Sorry, can't help you there. 99% of the time, my WIFI is off to save battery
I didn't experience any problems, but I never leave my reader in standby mode with the WIFI on. Actually after I finish reading I turn the reader off, and if not, it turns off from standby after a while.
colibris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:45 AM   #185
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Anyone else having a problem with WiFi and standby? If the device goes on standby while the wifi is on, and then wakes up, the wifi signal continues to blink in the status bar, and in the settings the switch for wifi keeps switching between on and off forever. This stops only when I shutdown and restart.

I am experimenting with the settings but for now I try to turn off wifi if I don't use it so that it doesn't standby accedintally while wifi is on.
I had the issue with the Boyue Likebook Plus. I factory reset the device and it worked fine for a bit and came back after a few days so I experimented a bit by changing settings, choosing what apps to install. In the end, I sideloaded all the apps and did not enter my Google credentials, and that seems to have worked for the last week or so. My guess is something in the Google Play store or Google services update is causing this.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #186
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Anyone else having a problem with WiFi and standby?
Sorry I can't be of help, but like @colibris79 I only turn on wifi when I'm actively transferring books. The rest of the time I have wifi turned off. I also have my device set to go to standby after a few minutes of inactivity and to turn off after 2 hours of inactivity.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #187
nrseife
nrseife began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus illumina e654bk
>>bar shortcut
Can you please post a link? I do not seem to find that app....thanks!
nrseife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #188
cpuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
I had the issue with the Boyue Likebook Plus. I factory reset the device and it worked fine for a bit and came back after a few days so I experimented a bit by changing settings, choosing what apps to install. In the end, I sideloaded all the apps and did not enter my Google credentials, and that seems to have worked for the last week or so. My guess is something in the Google Play store or Google services update is causing this.
It happens only if the device goes to standby on its own, but not when I push the power myself. But for now I think I will try and turn WiFi on and off manually to save battery.

Battery with working with PDF files is really short for an ebook reader. I think it doesnt stay for more than 10 hours of PDF reading with me (then again I read PDFs on an external app, and I adjust the page a couple of times after turning, and sometimes I use light).
Old 06-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #189
p38lightning
Zealot
p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Lenovo Tab M9
Due to my fully dead usb port, I will ask the following (being reasonably certain of a negative answer): Can the Illumina be remotely charged? I have sent a full RMA request since my original query of four days ago to Icarus has gone unanswered. I do not want to send this back to Eurpoe for repair if at all possible but it should still be under warranty. Switching to the Likebook software has had nothing to do with the physical death of the port! Posted this in the Boyue T80 forum also.
p38lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #190
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by p38lightning View Post
Due to my fully dead usb port, I will ask the following (being reasonably certain of a negative answer): Can the Illumina be remotely charged?
I doubt it. Since it should be under warranty hopefully the RMA process is successful. But in the future, if worse comes to worse, there are always DYI fixes, here is one example. Here is a 2nd example.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-20-2018 at 10:55 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:31 AM   #191
PhilipY
PhilipY began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo; Icarus Illumina XL HD
I'm sure you've tried everything, but for the discussion: my Illumina XL HD does not connect well with every USB cable. The one that shipped with the device sometimes works, with a bit of fiddling (the charging works most often, USB not). Other cables never work and some cables always work. I assume this is the connector and not the cable itself. Strangely, my oldest cable, identifiable from Nokia, always works. For people with a problem like this, I suggest first trying a number of cables.
PhilipY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #192
p38lightning
Zealot
p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Absolutely agree! In this case it stopped working with both of the cables I had been using since the unit's arrival. I tried a third just to make sure and then trimmed back one of the others to ensure complete penetration. None worked either with connecting to my desktop or trying to charge the unit. The port always had a somewhat troublesome fit no matter which cord I used. Now that the unit is RMA'ing its way back to Eindhoven, it will be interesting to see if they actually repair it or send a new one.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:29 PM   #193
p38lightning
Zealot

Here is an update to my RMA. It was received at Eindhoven on Monday July 2. The following was sent ONLY after I sent a very terse inquiry as to why I had heard absolutely nothing from them regarding unit receipt/examination/resolution on Friday July 6.

"We have inspected your device, and are not able to restore software.You have installed software which is not compatible with the build in chips. Also changing and deleting brand software is illegal and out of warranty.

We can offer a replacement device, for a reduced price of 100 euro.
Best regards,Icarus Supportteam.

We hope this response has sufficiently answered your questions. If not, please do not send another email. Instead, reply to this email or login to your account for a complete archive of all your support requests and responses."

I responded with a counteroffer reminding them that the unit had been in use only since October, 2017, that their software upgrades did next to nothing regarding the ongoing issue of page freezing forcing a reboot while reading, and that the physical failure of the USB port had absolutely NOTHING to do with whichever software was being used. I reinforced that the Boyue software had fixed the freezing issue and been used successfully for at least two months.

I feel as if I am beating a dead horse with all of this but will update all of you with whatever response I receive.

Meanwhile, I have been renewing the joyful experience of reading from my Nook HD+ 8.9 inch screen during this Icarus hiatus. I long ago fully converted that unit to full Android and it is currently running 7.1.2 quite well. I use it in a very "stripped down" mode with Airplane mode being engaged all of the time and just about anything else I can do to reduce power consumption. The only major drain is keeping the brightness setting around 80+ % so as to reduce reflections as much as possible. It has a good anti-glare, matte finish screen protector but that does little for actual reflections. Absolutely love that "trade paper" size page and clarity. Feels like a brick though compared to the Icarus. Generally getting 2-3 days of 6+ hours of daily reading before charging.

Will keep you all posted as to the final outcome.

Update 7/13. Sent Icarus my counteroffer on 7/11 with no response. Sent their email address a copy of it explaining that the support center had not replied and got an auto response that they would be on vacation for 7/16-7/30 with limited access! Since I sent that early enough that it was received during business hours on Friday 7/13, I guess they all left early!!!

7/16: I was right! They received my follow-up inquiry early Friday 7/13 and totally ignored it. That's it until at least 7/31. What an outfit!!!

Last edited by p38lightning; 07-16-2018 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:11 PM   #194
DoktrJones
DoktrJones is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook mini, likebook plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by p38lightning View Post
You have installed software which is not compatible with the build in chips.
Wow this makes me really distrust Icarus, they are being dishonest here. They act as if they developed the Illumina XL themselves, while its very obvious that all they did was put their logo on it and modified the stock firmware a bit.

I hope they give you a better offer. If not at least ask for your broken device back, you could still resell it for parts
DoktrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #195
p38lightning
Zealot

Yes, I am certainly not feeling comfortable with them regarding this whole issue. Since then, my partner's Paper White began having issues with its USB port also. Found a service via eBay in Oregon that repairs that unit for $25.00 including return shipping. Evidently this is not an uncommon Kindle issue! Emailed them regarding my Icarus on the off chance they might be able to repair it. Still awaiting a reply. BTW, my counteroffer to Icarus was 75.00 Euros including shipping.

PS: Loved their take on my software swap as being "illegal"!