Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-26-2017, 02:47 AM   #136
umeshg
Connoisseur
umeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony DPTS-1
What is your opinion of reMarkable tablet
I cannot find any reviews from a buyer
https://getremarkable.com/pre-order
umeshg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:52 AM   #137
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
For me, Onyx will only have a chance if their next device can be used as a monitor.
Exactly my reasoning. I desperately want an E-Ink screen for programming (espcially outside, it's nice to have a non-reflective screen). I've been following the Onyx threads a bit and it appears they did manage to install VPN, however, the performance ought to be horrible compared what would be possible with a proper E-Ink driver (or possibly even dedicated to text processing). The thing with Onyx is that they prefer Quantity over Quality. A ton of features, mostly buggy, horrible UI and sub-par performance. But I would buy a device for 800$ even if it could *only* be an external screen, but be good at that. Just like I bought the DPT-S1 for 1000$ even thought it is "only" a PDF reader (which IMO is all anyone ever needs if they know how to use a computer to convert between formwats) but a darn good one at that, for what it's worth.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2017, 02:55 AM   #138
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Does anyone know if the previous model ever was rooted? It would be fantastic if you could run a late Android on it.

I just wish it had come with an HDMI port so I could stick one of those Android on a stick devices in it and run full Android, or Windows, on it.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:16 AM   #139
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Does anyone know if the previous model ever was rooted? It would be fantastic if you could run a late Android on it.

I just wish it had come with an HDMI port so I could stick one of those Android on a stick devices in it and run full Android, or Windows, on it.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4
It went around that someone did? Though only hearsay, I haven't seen any proof of it.You should know though that the DPT-S1 is a Linux, so I don't think someone (can) put Android it on it, unless they manage to port the proprietary drivers.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:05 AM   #140
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
It went around that someone did? Though only hearsay, I haven't seen any proof of it.You should know though that the DPT-S1 is a Linux, so I don't think someone (can) put Android it on it, unless they manage to port the proprietary drivers.
DPT-S1 runs on Android 2.2.1. Has been hardware jailbroken/unlocked.

Hope for same with DPT-RP1.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #141
bazzz
Enthusiast
bazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad Pro
I never had the opportunity to use the predecessor of the Sony. Currently I'm using my iPad Pro 12.9" for note-taking (NoteShelf) and reading PDFs. I'm a software developer and mainly read technical PDF documents...

A nice alternative to the iPad is always welcome

1. How solid are the Sony's PDF features (how good have they been with the predecessor?). Cropping margins / remaining that crop on page turn, searching in PDFs, etc.?
2. Is this only for taking notes / annotations within PDF - or can we expect a generic notetaking application?
bazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #142
olav-norway
olav-norway began at the beginning.

Device: None
I'm considering this device. Does anyone from Europa have experience with charging the previous version (DPT-S1)? Can it be charged from an european computer? Or did the device come with an universal power adaptor? I know I need a plug adaptor, but I probably need to convert the voltage and frequency too, since we use 230 V/50 Hz in Norway, while 120 V/60 Hz is used in US.
olav-norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #143
bazzz
Enthusiast
bazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by olav-norway View Post
I'm considering this device. Does anyone from Europa have experience with charging the previous version (DPT-S1)? Can it be charged from an european computer? Or did the device come with an universal power adaptor? I know I need a plug adaptor, but I probably need to convert the voltage and frequency too, since we use 230 V/50 Hz in Norway, while 120 V/60 Hz is used in US.
Isn't it charged via Micro USB?
bazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #144
olav-norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzz View Post
Isn't it charged via Micro USB?
I think the device must be rated for the outlet's voltage, or you will risk damaging the device. I don't know if the US version of the digital paper is rated for european voltages. As far as I know, the device is not even sold in Europe.

I think I figured it out though. According to mobileread's wikipage about Sony DPT-S1, the AC adaptor included can handle european voltages:
Quote:
AC adapter: Input: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz 0.2A Output: DC 5V 1000mA
So the only needed accessory is a simple plug adaptor.

I still don't know if it's safe to charge the device from the pc.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #145
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a standard microUSB connector. Any USB charger will work fine. No need for plug adapters.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:30 PM   #146
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by umeshg View Post
What is your opinion of reMarkable tablet
I cannot find any reviews from a buyer
https://getremarkable.com/pre-order
first, i think that this device is a crowd-funded project. so there's no guarantee that it will actually get produced. i've been burned by the meetearl project and i'm not going to do the same again. so i would rather wait for the device to be released before i would consider it. i believe that only those willing to pre-order now will get the $479 price. those who do not order now and purchase at release time will most likely pay close to $700 to get the device and the stylus. at this price point, i would rather go for the sony device for its larger size, features (even without epub support), and reputation.

and sony's plan to release in june will definitely affect reMarkable's plans. i remember clamoring for the plastic logic que when the apple ipad was announced. and as we know, the ipad killed the que.

Last edited by rem736; 05-26-2017 at 02:43 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #147
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by olav-norway View Post
Hi olav, I'm from Italy (220 V, 50 Hz) and I bought the DTS-S1 one year ago. I always charge it with my pc by the usb port. It works with no problem aT all. Since I bought the US version from a US shop, the device came with a US power charger inside.

Last edited by Shinra tensei; 05-26-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #148
olav-norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a standard microUSB connector. Any USB charger will work fine. No need for plug adapters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinra tensei View Post
Hi olav, I'm from Italy (220 V, 50 Hz) and I bought the DTS-S1 one year ago. I always charge it with my pc by the usb port. It works with no problem aT all. Since I bought the US version from a US shop, the device came with a US power charger inside.
Thanks for the clarification!
Old 05-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #149
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
Regarding the reMarkable tablet, I preordered one, and they send update from time to time, last one was yesterday, they say (long email short)

Quote:
just a few days ago, we invited an illustrator and a film crew, to shoot some of the features of the reMarkable. In a few weeks time, we will reveal this footage and show you how quickly the display reacts to the pen input, and how sketching, writing and organizing files works on our device.
They attached these photos

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3

Now, I would advice to get the Sony, I'm using the first DPT-S1 and it's great, it real product, and the quality is the best in the market, the new one looks great and responsive, the reMarkable tablet has yet to prove itself and won't be available before August, and that's only for those who preordered, I should get mine September.
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:29 PM   #150
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
DPT-S1 runs on Android 2.2.1. Has been hardware jailbroken/unlocked.

Hope for same with DPT-RP1.
Would it the be possible to upgrade it to Android 5 or do?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote