Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #23401
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I've always heard that one should avoid "even" releases of Windows. Windows XP was usable, Vista was a mess. Windows 7 is (reportedly) usable, Windows 8 turns you desktop PC into a ginormous tablet.

(But I'm really no fan of any version of Windows.

I'm limping along with XP on my desktop, but I've got W7 waiting in the wings. I have 2 programs which require Windows, and for which I don't have any suitable alternative. Otherwise I'd be strictly Linux -- like this netbook I'm using right now.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #23402
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I loved Win XP and still have it on an old laptop, but don't know how much longer it will last. Getting it connected to the newer WiFi set up was a real pain with lots of work arounds. I ended up getting use to Vista on the other laptop, but I still love the XP better.

Vista , once I became use to it, works for now, but waiting to see what is next.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #23403
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I'm limping along with XP on my desktop, but I've got W7 waiting in the wings. I have 2 programs which require Windows, and for which I don't have any suitable alternative. Otherwise I'd be strictly Linux -- like this netbook I'm using right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I loved Win XP and still have it on an old laptop, but don't know how much longer it will last.
I held off upgrading to Win7 until I absolutely had to. I used WinXP until we moved here, and was completely satisfied with it. But several program that I use often put out their upgrades that would only work in Win7 and was forced to make the change. Fortunately, with only a couple of minor bumps in the learning curve, Win7 turned out to be a bump in the right direction.

But sometimes I really, really hate change...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #23404
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I loved Win XP and still have it on an old laptop, but don't know how much longer it will last. Getting it connected to the newer WiFi set up was a real pain with lots of work arounds. I ended up getting use to Vista on the other laptop, but I still love the XP better.

Vista , once I became use to it, works for now, but waiting to see what is next.
I have to say, I was never--NEVER--willing to migrate to Vista. I had a neighbor with Vista, and as I used to and still say, Vista should go back to ruling in hell where it belongs. But I must also say that as a dedicated XP user, I love--LOVE--Win7. It was a lightyear advance on XP, didn't have all the bad of Vista, runs like a damned clock, recovers beautifully...I've been uber-pleased with it for nearly 5 years now, I think it is. Was loath to even consider Win8, but on tablets, Win8 works quite well. But you shouldn't hesitate on 7, if you love XP. At least, that's my $.02.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #23405
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Share if you agree.

I get so freakin' sick of all these dumb asses who believe that every thought that crosses their undersized brains is of such importance that it must be immediately placed on the front burner of the entire world. "Share if you agree" had got to be one of the most irritating phrases of the last 50 years. What follows is my own creation. Feel free to share if you agree.

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #23406
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Facebook is the chain letter of the 2010s.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #23407
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
It's very important that everyone knows I'm slicing potatoes right now. Thank God for Facebook.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #23408
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It lets me know if I should invite myself over for dinner.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #23409
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Windows 8 (and really, 8.1), is certainly a learning curve. But really, if you don't want to use the new "Metro" or "ModernUI" or whatever you want to call the full screen "new" apps, you don't have to. Just think of it as a really good version of Windows 7, which is what the desktop is.

I've been running Win8x since the beginning -- it sort of comes with the job. I can say that I frankly hated it at first, and still am annoyed by some things. But overall, I now "get it" and actually like it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #23410
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
...I've been running Win8x since the beginning -- it sort of comes with the job. I can say that I frankly hated it at first, and still am annoyed by some things. But overall, I now "get it" and actually like it.
I wasn't there from the beginning, but I was a fairly early adopter, and I agree with everything you said.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:20 PM   #23411
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Well my frustrations with Win8 may be over [for the most part]... I've discovered a little program, called "classic shell", that brings back the Start Menu!

Actually it turns out that there are bunch of programs that do this. I just picked this one cause it gives me the choice of using the old XP style menu, which I kinda prefer over the Vista/7 one.

I've also heard of a program that lets you run "modern" apps on the desktop, though I have yet to install it.

Last edited by Dylrob; 01-01-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:57 PM   #23412
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, you can certainly use that, or any of the others like it. Or do the free upgrade to 8.1 and get the start button back that way. (It's a good upgrade, regardless, and the price is right, certainly.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:25 AM   #23413
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
My beloved XP computer died a few months ago and I *had* to go with the OEM Win8 install on a replacement pc. I managed to set everything up to work from the desktop (I don't care for "Metro"), and turned off the (to me) annoying "hotspots" and "snap-to-corner". But one thing I have not found a solution for is my *sticky* cursor behavior. Often when working near the bottom of the screen, the cursor will snag the thumbnail preview screens from the taskbar buttons, and bring that window to the top of the stack. So I am suddenly typing in the wrong window.

Other than that, I do like the Win8 stability and speed, and I really like that some of the little window manipulations can now be handled natively instead of with my old monster AutoHotkey script. (I still need that to right-click-drag to size and move windows, though.)

If only the cursor didn't get grabby...
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #23414
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Not so much a vent/rant as an awkward. A local well known, liked, respected etc etc businessman is dying. A tribute is being held for him this evening. He's still alive. This is a very surreal huck Finn sort of feeling. I mean wouldn't we all like to know what people say about us when we pass? In this situation I don't even know what the needs of the family might be as obviously there is not an obituary or anything like that.

Weird and frustrating
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #23415
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I am so angry!

Yesterday morning about 7 am, my brother got mugged in a main street. Two guys robbed his phone, threw him on the ground twice and kicked/punched him when he tried to get his phone back. No one around him tried to help.
Thankfully he's fine, as fine as he can be, but he's going to meet with the medicolegal unit tomorrow to be sure that there's no underlying issue and it's also required by the procedure.
So yesterday we spent most of the afternoon waiting at the police station for him to give his statement.

I'm saddened by the robbery, because it tells lots of the society we're living in and of the fact that for some if they want something they just have to take it. But mostly I'm still shocked by the violence and what it could have been (don't forget that Michael Schumacher is on the news everyday).

All of us will be relieved after tomorrow meeting when we'll know for sure that the bruises are nothing more than that.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness