Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #1
raghiid
Connoisseur
raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Improved Bookerly

I've always hated how when I increase boldness, the text shifts, making me lose focus for a second. So I upped the em size of the font (from 1000 to a proper 2048) and removed its hints using fontforge and it seems to have worked. With every boldness increase, the words remain static.

I used the old Bookerly v1.020, the version before Amazon ruined it. And I renamed it to DaltonMaag, the typographer.

Last edited by issybird; 07-06-2021 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Copyright.
raghiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:49 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Thanks, I'll try it on my Kindles when I get the time.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghiid View Post
I've always hated how when I increase boldness, the text shifts, making me lose focus for a second. So I upped the em size of the font (from 1000 to a proper 2048) and removed its hints using fontforge and it seems to have worked. With every boldness increase, the words remain static.

I used the old Bookerly v1.020, the version before Amazon ruined it. And I renamed it to DaltonMaag, the typographer.
I am not sure what you mean by words remain static. Downloaded and tried on my Oasis 2. When increasing boldness, the words still get longer changing the amount of words per page.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:23 AM   #4
raghiid
Connoisseur
raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I am not sure what you mean by words remain static. Downloaded and tried on my Oasis 2. When increasing boldness, the words still get longer changing the amount of words per page.
That's strange. It's working perfectly for me, here's a preview: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I-...T0mzWuLUiIYJdk
Old 04-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's strange. It's working perfectly for me, here's a preview: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I-...T0mzWuLUiIYJdk
It doesn't work with the KFX renderer. The KF8 renderer does work as you say, even for me.
Advert
Old 04-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #6
raghiid
Connoisseur

Quote:
It doesn't work with the KFX renderer. The KF8 renderer does work as you say, even for me.
Oh interesting! I used to convert books to kfx but stopped a while ago once I discovered the FONT_RAMP trick. Conversion takes a fraction of the time it takes to convert to kfx too.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:37 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
How is it working? It looks like words are shifting big time as you increase the weight with Bookerly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:03 PM   #8
raghiid
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How is it working? It looks like words are shifting big time as you increase the weight with Bookerly.
Yes it does that with Bookerly, but the version I modified (Dalton Maag) does not shift the text when changing weight.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:13 PM   #9
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:

Do you know what firmware version incorporated the new ("ruined") Bookerly? I'm on v5.12.1.1
Thanks.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #10
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Do you know what firmware version incorporated the new ("ruined") Bookerly? I'm on v5.12.1.1
Thanks.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:20 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does 5.12.5 fix Bookerly?
Old 04-23-2020, 05:29 PM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Does 5.12.5 fix Bookerly?
Bookerly was never broken. And in the sense of this thread, Bookerly in 5.12.4 and 5.12.5 act exactly the same.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:11 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Bookerly was never broken. And in the sense of this thread, Bookerly in 5.12.4 and 5.12.5 act exactly the same.
Amazon did break Bookerly. They removed the hinting and now there is a problem with smaller sizes.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Amazon did break Bookerly. They removed the hinting and now there is a problem with smaller sizes.
OTOH the new version did add 60+ extra glyphs which might be considered an improvement by those who never read at those very small font-sizes.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:27 PM   #15
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
What kind of problem? Are you seriously trying to tell me that hinting is necessary on a resolution of 300 ppi?