Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
New fave font: Bookerly

I use it exclusively now, for everything I read. It occupies the perfect middle ground between traditional proportional fonts like Time New Roman and Georgia and almost-monospace fonts like Caecilia and Kobo Nickel.

I can't read with regular proportional fonts anymore - my eye simply gets too distracted by the busyness of a stroke that constantly changes its width that much. For a while I read exclusively with the almost-monospace fonts on my Kobo: Caecilia, Kobo Nickel and Amasis. But now that my eye has gotten used to Bookerly, they also distract my eye too much, this time by being too heavy, too stodgy. Bookerly is to my eye the perfect happy medium.

Why not Literata? It is almost as good, but with its overdone embellishments at the end of letters like "r" or "f" it too distracts my eye a bit more than Bookerly. Also, Literata's italics are too weird and overdone. Bookerly is almost like a perfect cipher for my eyes: it imparts nothing of its own, just the meaning of what is written.

Well. I realize most people don't care about fonts; only the meaning of what is written. But I for one welcome my new font overlord.
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joques View Post
Well. I realize most people don't care about fonts; only the meaning of what is written. But I for one welcome my new font overlord.
I guess I should try Bookerly on the Glo -- I don't particularly like it on my Kindle Basic (New Touch). Too spidery. On that device I'm using Palatino, but it's not that impressive either. My favorite font -- on both my Kindle Touch and Glo -- is Constantia.

EDIT: Okay, I'll take it back. I installed Bookerly on the Glo and it looks great. In my opinion the fonts on the Glo tend to be too "bold" -- Bookerly's fine lines work extremely well in this case. Thanks for posting. I think you've made my Glo a much nicer reader.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-12-2016 at 03:26 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Is it available for free and is there a guide on this forum for installing fonts? I currently read in Caecilia but Bookerly would likely be an upgrade, I'd like to try it out.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
Is it available for free and is there a guide on this forum for installing fonts? I currently read in Caecilia but Bookerly would likely be an upgrade, I'd like to try it out.
I found it by doing this Google search ...

bookerly for kobo?

it was the 3rd result -- "How to install Bookerly, Ember ..." If you follow the link there is another link to download the fonts. (The link I followed was not GoodReader.) You'll also find installation instructions.

I would give this link but I'm not sure if it's allowed on MobileRead.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-12-2016 at 03:40 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post

bookerly for kobo?

it was the 3rd result -- "How to install Bookerly, Ember ..." If you follow the link there is another link to download the fonts. (The link I followed was not GoodReader.) You'll also find installation instructions.

Thanks, Ember gets my vote.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #6
sapphiresilver
Connoisseur
sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Amazon Oasis 2, Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro
I use Bookerly as well. I had to use FontForge to fix the metadata because I kept getting bold italic instead of regular italic on kepubs. Ember is my second favourite font.
sapphiresilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:48 AM   #7
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
I must have been lucky; in the version I found, the italics work properly.
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:58 AM   #8
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post

bookerly for kobo?

Thanks, I got it to work and after using it for a few days, do prefer it to Caecilia. It even has ligatures. Can't tell about kerning, if it's there it's not as noticeable as with some other fonts.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:21 AM   #9
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have to agree. Once I got used to Bookerly, I can no longer use any other font. Except Literata, but it has excessive line spacing so I have to play with the line spacing slider whenever I switch to that font.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:21 PM   #10
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
My go-to font has become Caecilia, but not the one in the firmware of my Aura HD. I have the Linotype version as an OTF font, and embed that in my books. For whatever reason, it renders more cleanly than the firmware's version.

I use that for non-fiction books, but for fiction I tend to use Droid Serif. I like the default proportions, leading and word spacing.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:51 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
I have to agree. Once I got used to Bookerly, I can no longer use any other font. Except Literata, but it has excessive line spacing so I have to play with the line spacing slider whenever I switch to that font.
I didn't like it at first, but it grew on my. It is now my preferred font.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:57 AM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Bookerly is the only font I use on my two Kobos. I have the patches installed so I can add more weight. Nothing else looks right anymore.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:54 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bookerly is not bad. It is better than really awful Caecilia.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:08 AM   #14
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Bookerly is the only font I use on my two Kobos. I have the patches installed so I can add more weight. Nothing else looks right anymore.
I feel the same way!
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #15
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I used Bookerly for a few hours, and while I can see why some people like it, I went back to good old Rockwell.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote