Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #16
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I really hope poor MoeJoe stays out of this thread, for fear of him having a stroke!
As previously noted, I've enjoyed everything of Dan Brown's that I've read, with the exception of Deception Point. I'm looking forward to the new release.

That being said: I am not about to even try to convince anyone that Dan Brown is the greatest writer the world has ever seen. He isn't. And even if he WAS - as my signature implies - we all have different tastes, everyone is never going to like the same thing, and wouldn't the world be pretty darn boring if we did?

Must...resist..commenting...on...Dan...Brown....
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #17
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Also Dan Brown and JK Rowling have an awful lot in common....

Neither can write.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #18
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Must...resist..commenting...on...Dan...Brown....
Hey, I tried, dear!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #19
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
Also Dan Brown and JK Rowling have an awful lot in common....

Neither can write.
Hm....

Actually, Rowling can tell a good (albeit formulaic) story in perfectly adequate prose.

Dan Brown can't.

After reading Brown, I felt I had to take a shower: the writing is at first grade level, his historical research is about the same, and his character development is of the cutout variety. To boot, his appears to assume, that his audience consists of people, whose IQ is generally below 70.

At the time I read the Da Vinci Code, it seemed to me, that Dan Brown had read the Foucault's Pendulum, and decided to come up with something in the same vein, but much, much dumbed down, to take advantage of the religious revival going on in the US, and beyond. (Come to think of it, Angels & Demons seems to be borrowing from The Name Of The Rose.)

My guess is, that people will still read Harry Potter a couple of generations from now, while Dan Brown will be buried deep in the pulp fiction heap.

Last edited by Sonist; 08-15-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #20
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
At the time I read the Da Vinci Code, it seemed to me, that Dan Brown had read the Foucault's Pendulum, and decided to come up with something in the same vein, but much, much dumbed down, to take advantage of the religious revival going on in the US, and beyond. (Come to think of it, Angels & Demons seems to be borrowing from The Name Of The Rose.)
I've heard from a number of people that Brown is pretty much an everyman's version of Umberto Eco, so much so that he (as you point out) basically puts out watered down versions of Eco's stories. I've personally never read any Dan Brown, nor do I ever plan to. There are far too many other authors and books out there that I know my time is better spent with.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #21
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
I've heard from a number of people that Brown is pretty much an everyman's version of Umberto Eco, ...
You have a very, very low opinion of "everyman."

I've read a title each from Grisham, Brown, King, even Clive Cussler... I try to be well-rounded.

Angels & Demons was extra. It was left by someone, high up on a mountain in South America, and it was in English, and it was raining outside....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #22
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
The more Dan Brown's books, demeanor, and credibility are questioned the more they sell. Having not read his books, yet, did he give any credit or mention to Henry Lincoln?
Gunner...
Nope, and last I heard there was a law suit over it. I don't know the status of the suit though. Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #23
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Lincoln

Quote:
Dan Brown lawsuit

Some of the ideas presented in Baigent's earlier book The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, were incorporated in the bestselling American novel The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown.[2]

In March 2006, Baigent and Leigh filed a lawsuit in a British court against Brown's publisher, Random House, claiming copyright infringement. [3] In April 7, High Court judge Peter Smith rejected the copyright-infringement claim, and Dan Brown won the court case.

Lincoln was not involved in the proceedings, reputedly because of illness; however, in the Channel Five documentary, Revealed... The Man behind the Da Vinci Code, [4] Lincoln stated that he did not wish to take part in the proceedings because the ideas brought forth in Holy Blood were not even original themselves, and Brown's actions could only be described as, "a bit naughty." An earlier novel had already used the theme of a Jesus bloodline: The Dreamer of the Vine, by Liz Greene, published in 1980 [5] (Richard Leigh's sister and Michael Baigent's girlfriend at that time); Liz Greene was not sued for plagiarism.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #24
apswartz
e-book reader
apswartz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Google Play Books on Samsung Tablet
I think Brown is a good writer. He just doesn't research his topics very well.
apswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #25
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Never really read any of his work. Just the premise of the Da Vinci Code kept me away from it. Also, I've not seen the movie.

I suppose I have more and better things to waste my time on

Like watching Q.I marathon, followed by Jonathan Creek marathon, followed by Father Ted marathon, followed by Red Dwarf marathon, followed by Monty Python marathon, followed by...
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #26
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Haven't read Dan Brown. My husband read the Da Vinci Code and said it was OK. I think it was so popular because the story related to Jesus in some way.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #27
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I love Father Ted...

(edited because I'm trying to be nicer)

Last edited by Gideon; 08-15-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #28
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I love Father Ted...

Also, I don't think you can overestimate the 'everyman.' If popular culture teaches us anything (or go down to your local gas station and have some conversations) - the everyman is a bloody moron.
By definition the average I.Q. is 100.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #29
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe Publishing View Post
Haven't read Dan Brown. My husband read the Da Vinci Code and said it was OK. I think it was so popular because the story related to Jesus in some way.
I think it reinforces many people's deep down suspicion that the Church has been running a scam on the masses (pun intended) for centuries.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #30
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
This is true. So who says an IQ of 100 is all that great? And even so if the average is 100 that means a LOT are well behind that.

Just because someone isn't bright doesn't mean they aren't nice, good people... but ignorance (and cultivated ignorance especially) leads to a great deal of evil in the world. I really don't care if someone isn't that bright but given the palpable effects of someone not being that bright... it frustrates me to no end. But this isn't relevant to Dan Brown.. someone liking some escape fiction doesn't mean anything.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote