Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 04:36 AM   #1
serwei
Enthusiast
serwei began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
SmartQ7: Does u-boot.bin still work on v4?

Want to try WinCE with my of my fave WinMo apps before paying for the license...

How does the flashing work? I hold POWER and the silver button on the other end (SELECT).

Thanks!

Is Mer 0.15 usable for 99%? Or still purely proof-of-concept?
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by serwei View Post
Want to try WinCE with my of my fave WinMo apps before paying for the license...

How does the flashing work? I hold POWER and the silver button on the other end (SELECT).

Thanks!

Firstly. Don't know if WinCe would work without the licence, so not sure how could you try it? (I have a licence so have never tried without it)
Secondly. You don't need to re-flash in order to run WinCE. As long as you have ver 4.0 of the Std OS running you just add the WinCE folders to the root folder of your SD card. When you next re-boot it will then run the multi-boot screen with either Linux or WinCe as your boot options. NB. the select button for confirming which OS, is the middle top button, not the button shown on screen!
If you don't have ver 4.0 then to update/re-flash you need to have the ver 4.0 file loaded onto a FAT32 formatted SD card. With your device switched off, insert SD card, hold down Move button (front bottom on Q7) press power button (top left on Q7) or plug in charger. Release power button, release Move button. Light should turn Orange. Follow prompts, if successful device will power down when finished.
Can't comment on Mer, not tried it yet. Waiting for it to mature.

Last edited by Nation.A.List; 08-17-2009 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Late addition
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
markr
markr doesn't littermarkr doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by serwei View Post
Mer will basically run the exact same apps as the default install so in that sense it is fine, but there is a handful a little things that make it hard to recommend. For mine the main one is that there is currently no control of the screen backlight, which may not matter for some. There is also no simple way to shut the device down (you can type a command into the command line but presumably most won't want to do that). Also in 0.15 wifi doesn't work out of the box, although it isn't that hard to fix, and should be working by 0.16testing3 due in a few days.

I'm running the testing images off my memory card and dual booting, and once they get backlight control I'd be tempted to use it full time. I'm reasonably happy with the stock OS after tweaking the theme and a few other things though.
markr is offline   Reply With Quote