Notices

Old 05-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #16
JohnDae
Connoisseur
JohnDae began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Paper and electronic displays are different things, each with advantages and disadvantages. I don't see the need to try to force electronic displays to look exactly like paper, just for aesthetic purposes. Let each do what it does best.
I think it's called e-paper and e-ink because it wants to mimic ink on paper. Why is this? Ink on paper in books looks like what it does because it has been found to be good for reading. Contrast is one the key properties. I'd argue also that so is lack of glare which is why book paper is rough and diffuse.

Last edited by JohnDae; 05-06-2018 at 04:52 PM.
JohnDae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:41 PM   #17
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The main problem with E-ink legibility is bad black color and glare. The ink is at best deeply dark gray, and it is even worse when the ambient light glares off from the glass.
The minor problem is that the screen is always charged and attracting dust.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2018, 05:57 PM   #18
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
But I don't feel like I'm missing much as book lights and lighted cases fill in nicely (when reading in dim light) for me.
For reading in bed, my wife and I use these:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70386305/

To me, eInk's ability to adjust to the desired font size makes up for the readability problems mentioned in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
When you read a book, the page is typically curved. When you read on an e-reader, you have perfect angle to the page, all the time.
This is especially true as compared with re-bound library books where some of the paper, next to the binding, has been lost.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 05-06-2018 at 09:11 PM.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:51 PM   #19
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDae View Post
I think it's called e-paper and e-ink because it wants to mimic ink on paper. Why is this? Ink on paper in books looks like what it does because it has been found to be good for reading. Contrast is one the key properties. I'd argue also that so is lack of glare which is why book paper is rough and diffuse.
Marketing has its own reasons for naming products which often has little to do with the latter's properties. They simply want to sell the most product possible. Expecting e-ink displays to be able to mimic ink and paper perfectly based on marketing is asking for trouble. Perhaps they just meant the name to mean that it will replace ink and paper, not mimic it.

I also think you are idealizing paper plus ink, and expecting e-ink to live up to that. Some papers are glossy, some are matte. Some are fine, some are rough. Some change colour over time, affecting contrast. I have paperbacks where the contrast and the font roughness are way worse than on current e-ink. I can still comfortably read both, so I don't let it bother me.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:18 PM   #20
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
How are you getting glare on an eink display?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2018, 02:21 AM   #21
JohnDae
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
How are you getting glare on an eink display?
I`m writing this on an e-reader and the daylight is shining in through window curtains. If I turn the device so that the windows directly reflect to me I will see their semi blurred reflections glaring on the screen.

If I pick up a book and do the same thing there is zero amount of distracting glare. The whole page just gets a bit lighter. This is because the paper is more diffuse surface and has has less specular reflection.

Compared to my anti-glare coated laptop the glare is about as blurred but much less in intensity so better.

Also, the paper looks natural white made little brownish by age at the edges and e-paper looks gray next to it. In this light it would ideally be whiter for a better contrast.

Again, not the end of the world, this is very cool and usable tech but I do hope that if I pick up a new e-reader in distant future it would have even better readability.

Last edited by JohnDae; 05-07-2018 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:29 AM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I`m writing this on an e-reader and the daylight is shining in through window curtains. If I turn the device so that the windows directly reflect to me I will see their semi blurred reflections glaring on the screen.
Do you use the frontlight? I find that leaving it on at all times makes the screen appear whiter. Also, the brighter the room you are reading in, the higher they recommend you set the front light (though I don't typically bother with that).

I find this works for me, though I'm sure it doesn't work for all.

Ebook plusses outweigh minuses for me (generally lower price, easier to store, adjustable fonts) though I don't begrudge anyone who disagrees.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:27 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I'd argue also that so is lack of glare which is why book paper is rough and diffuse.
The paper is rough and diffuse because it's cheaper. It also has a short life span compared to higher quality papers. Some books are printed on higher quality glossy paper (high kaolin content) as are quite a few magazines though using higher quality paper carries a weight and cost penalty.

Personally, the ability to carry a large number of books, the builtin frontlight and ability to adjust font size makes my ereader a far better choice compared to a dead tree book. What use is a higher contrast but unreadable page?

Last edited by DNSB; 05-07-2018 at 01:33 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

If I pick up a book and do the same thing there is zero amount of distracting glare. The whole page just gets a bit lighter. This is because the paper is more diffuse surface and has has less specular reflection. ...
I don't have that kind of trouble with my eReaders (or maybe I'm just not as discerning). It might be an issue with the light layer. The only eReader I have that is front-lit is my Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, and it's too murky to comfortably read without turning on the front light. (Actually, even with the light on, it's not comfortable on my eyes after about a half an hour.) I don't know where you live, but if you're in the United States, you can pick up an older, non-front-lit eReader for about $20 and test to see if the light layer is the issue.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:22 PM   #25
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
I don't have that kind of trouble with my eReaders (or maybe I'm just not as discerning). It might be an issue with the light layer. The only eReader I have that is front-lit is my Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, and it's too murky to comfortably read without turning on the front light. (Actually, even with the light on, it's not comfortable on my eyes after about a half an hour.) I don't know where you live, but if you're in the United States, you can pick up an older, non-front-lit eReader for about $20 and test to see if the light layer is the issue.
If my non-lighted Sony reader is angled wrong toward a light source (window, lamp, etc.) there will be a glare. I find it most noticeable if there is a light directly overhead.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #26
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
If my non-lighted Sony reader is angled wrong toward a light source (window, lamp, etc.) there will be a glare. I find it most noticeable if there is a light directly overhead.
I usually use ultra matte anti-glare screen protectors on my bigger tablets and also for the bigger (glossy) e-ink readers with additional layers (frontlight, capacitive, touch)

Backlight/Frontlight is always reduced as much as possible e.g. usually at about 20-30 % indoors and 40-50 % outdoors, usually using homemade paper sunshades with tablets for the sunny conditions abroad or darker blankets over the ropes for the shade in the garden, on the balcony etc.

Last edited by Marinolino; 05-07-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:29 PM   #27
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I don't generally find it to be a problem, usually holding the reader at a slightly different angle takes care of the glare.

I don't expect e-ink to exactly duplicate the experience of reading a paper book. I do enjoy having the ability to obtain books from the library and bookstores from the comfort of my home, and the ability to change the font size and style.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #28
JohnDae
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The paper is rough and diffuse because it's cheaper. It also has a short life span compared to higher quality papers. Some books are printed on higher quality glossy paper (high kaolin content) as are quite a few magazines though using higher quality paper carries a weight and cost penalty.
Reading paper is generally diffuse because its excellent for the purpose due to the fact that it doesn't suffer from glare unlike glossy paper.

Here's an article from "Steve's Digicams" that talks about matte vs glossy paper:

"Matte paper is excellent for displaying photos such as large panoramas that must be displayed "naked" (not behind plastic/glass) in an environment where light reflections can be an issue. Since you don't get any glare at all from matte papers, matte paper is a good choice for displaying a 4 foot panorama in a camera store under mixed lighting especially where the prints are displayed high on a wall and reflections from overhead lights can be a real issue."

"Glossy papers generally offer the widest color range and best resolution, but they suffer from glare which can be a problem under certain lighting conditions."

Since E-readers are appreciated in wide variety of lighting situations one generally wants them glare free. That's why they apply anti-glare coating for E-ink displays. The end result today is just not as glare free as matte paper but reading experience would be improved if it was. It is still very usable as is. My old reflective LCD reader glares a ton more and mostly because of that is very hard to use without its frontlight.

Last edited by JohnDae; 05-08-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #29
JohnDae
Connoisseur

Quote:
To be fair, the device I have looks very sharp. I tested a lower end and older front lit version and that was murky in comparison. The light guide layers might have improved since your front lit device. Still, such layer can only degrade clarity. Assuming this device has one, it would be curious to see how it would look without it.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:08 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Reading paper is generally diffuse because its excellent for the purpose due to the fact that it doesn't suffer from glare unlike glossy paper.
I prefer my opinion which is tempered by years in an industry that used a lot of paper that the driving factor was and is price well ahead of any other consideration. Another consideration is that with paper books, the ink is part of the top layer while in an eInk display, the image is behind one or more layers.

Quote:
Since E-readers are appreciated in wide variety of lighting situations one generally wants them glare free. That's why they apply anti-glare coating for E-ink displays. The end result today is just not as glare free as matte paper but reading experience would be improved if it was. It is still very usable as is. My old reflective LCD reader glares a ton more and mostly because of that is very hard to use without its frontlight.
I can sit on a bench in bright sunlight and use my ereader collection while my Nexus 7 tablet or iPad Pro are pretty much unusable unless I hold them at weird angles so I'm not looking at what amounts to a glossy mirror.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote