Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Libraries, e-books, and jurisdiction

It's interesting to me that, so far, only a handful of libraries seem to be meaningfully interested in out-of-state patrons for its e-books, as demonstrated by the fact that you don't have to apply for borrowing privileges in person. (Philly's library seems to be by far the cheapest, too.) My home library, for example, has twice as many books as Philly's (despite the city being substantially smaller), but in order to get a card, you have to appear in person and pay $65: there is no limited e-book card.

I'm interested in people's opinions on whether Philadelphia-style arrangements are going to become more common. The appeal of such plans to the library itself is obvious: the library receives extra income and has to do no extra work.

But libraries are, of course, funded by taxpayers. And if I did more borrowing than I do (which is almost none, despite having the bluefire app), I might be annoyed if wait times were significantly longer at my county library due to out of state patrons (I'm surprised that this isn't an issue in Philadelphia, specifically, since their e-book holdings are meager and yet they appear to be the go-to place for out of state borrowers).

So the real question is, I guess, whether appeasing taxpayers will prevent more libraries from going to a Philadelphia model, despite the benefit to the library itself.

For my home library, my guess is that they won't permit easy out-of-state lending. Although they will continue to allow non-residents to buy a library card for $65 by applying in person. (The same fee was in effect when I moved here 15 years ago, interestingly). I'm basing this primarily on the fact that the $50 million overbudget new library has put them in dutch with the taxpayers, and the not-unrelated reduced hours haven't helped matters any.

But those are features that may be unique to my library. Does anyone have any thoughts on what will happen to their home library, or whether the Philly-style system will expand?
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Well, I think you have to keep in mind that non-local PFL patrons are paying an annual membership fee, so it's not like they're not contributing in any way. And every little bit helps the library acquire more for its collection and maintain service, which sometimes the local taxpayer base may be a little lacking in, especially if it's budget cut season and the politicians want to score easy deductions while raising their own salaries again.

In my area, we've a province-wide e-lending system, rather than all the individual libraries each with their own. It pools a larger aggregate collection than any of the libraries (even the main metropolitan one) could field on their own, I think, and thus makes books accessible even to people living in tiny isolated mining towns up north across the board, instead of relegating them to second-class status like a lot of other provincial services tend to.

And some of the smaller municipal libraries take part in the Overdrive Enhanced program, which apparently nets those branches extra copies and/or extra titles, which can be a good way for places with greater local interest/available funding to "reward" their own patrons.

In my particular region, we've also got a reciprocal lending arrangement across the border with the nearest US county, so that US people from there can use one of our (more extensive) Canadian libraries and vice versa.

I think the future will reinvent the old-fashioned subscription library, where people pay a fee for access to materials directly desired by them rather than having it subsidized by public interest.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I have read somewhere that publishers are "displeased" ... shall we say ... with non-resident arrangements such as Philly's.

I wouldn't mind an Audible-style set-up for ebooks, although it should be cheaper as there's no narrator salary involved.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The library's arrangement with Overdrive prevents them from offering out-of-state residents a library card. It is a condition of having a contract with Overdrive. I'm not sure if the publishers put this restriction on Overdrive or not.

I've spoken with several librarians across the country while doing my "list thread" and they all told me about Overdrive's prohibition.

I don't know how Philadelphia Library and a few others get away with it but maybe the stipulation will be included when the next contract renews. Or they don't care.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I think the days of out of state borrowing could be limited. Late last year UK publishers got stuck into libraries and even suggested that borrowers should only be able to download ebooks on library premises - and you can imagine the reaction to this. Their rationale was that it ensured geographic restrictions were enforced. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/13...k-lending.html

As an out of state borrower from Philly (out of country even), I hope they don't restrict it - as I can borrow ebooks that I can't buy because of geographic restrictions. But I pay my annual fee.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was rather horrified to see that my library has Overdrive "download here!" enabled computers. I asked the librarian if he thought that meant there would be no more remote-downloading, which horrified him to reply (paraphrased): "Oh no! Some people prefer doing it here, rather than setting up their computers at home (and in case they run into difficulties) ...."

I see Philly's days of unlimited geographical offerings numbered, but forcing patrons who have shown proof-of-residency at card issuance to come to a central location, during business hours, won't cut it.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
SeaBookGuy:

Particularly when the open days/hours of the branches have been cutback. I guess I could print out a copy and post it next to the cleangreen/recycling calendar.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I foresee more and more libraries joining consortia. I'm in Maryland and our ebook lending is basically statewide--anyone with any county card in Md. can check out books from Maryland's digital consortium.

Also people in suburbs of DC (in Md. and Virginia) qualify for a DC library card. Many jurisdictions have this reciprocity with nearby counties. I foresee more people actually using privileges they qualify for but never use. You do have to pick them up in person but this is usually not so much a problem when the jurisdiction is close by. I don't think I'd drive to Philly for a card, but I drove down into DC one day, picked up a card, did some banking and shopping, no biggie.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
SeaBookGuy:

Particularly when the open days/hours of the branches have been cutback. I guess I could print out a copy and post it next to the cleangreen/recycling calendar.
Here in Seattle, the in-library downloading is only at the Central facility downtown, not in any branches (as far as I know). I believe they'd have to pay Overdrive extra per-branch - on top of what they pay know for what there is - to enable downloading at additional locations.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
CrayWolf
Enthusiast
CrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with others

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
I'm keeping an eye on this thread because I was about to sign up with the Philadelphia Free Library. Does anyone know when their contact with OverDrive might be up? If it's soon, I'd rather hold off and see how that turns out.
CrayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Actually, CrayWolf, I would do the opposite if I were you: I would sign up right away. I would guess that when the contract expires, they will no longer sign up new out-of-area members... but probably existing members will be grandfathered in. Just a guess, though. NYPL used to have an out-of-state sign up for $100, and they stopped the program when they started Overdrive. I don't know what happened to existing out-of-state cardholders. Maybe someone on here does?

I have always wondered why someone didn't set up their own "pay-library" (aka Netflix for Books) using Overdrive. I guess now I know!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
but probably existing members will be grandfathered in
Technically, I can get a card with a neighboring jurisdiction. However ... access to their Overdrive titles would be specifically excluded (for reasons too complicated to go into here); Philly could easily do the same for existing out-of-state cardholders at renewal (or really at any time).
Old 01-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #13
CrayWolf
Enthusiast
CrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with others

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Actually, CrayWolf, I would do the opposite if I were you: I would sign up right away. I would guess that when the contract expires, they will no longer sign up new out-of-area members... but probably existing members will be grandfathered in.
Personally, I'm going on the assumption that out-of-state users would be cut off. And while $15 isn't a lot to waste, I'd still hate to waste it if that were to happen.

On the plus side, at least, it would have gone somewhere good (a library).
CrayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #14
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I don't think it would happen right away, and $15 is still a good investment, even if it you only have access for a few months. Frankly, I can't believe that they're willing to run at what must surely be an out-of-state loss (assuming most such recent cards are for Overdrive purposes only).
Old 01-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #15
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayWolf View Post
Personally, I'm going on the assumption that out-of-state users would be cut off. And while $15 isn't a lot to waste, I'd still hate to waste it if that were to happen.

On the plus side, at least, it would have gone somewhere good (a library).
Crazywolf, where in NJ do you live? There are three major Overdrive ebook accounts that cover most of NJ. And you can pay to use the others if you want more access.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote