Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #27496
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now I'm starting on Project Elfhome by Wen Spencer. A recent purchase.
And rather splendid it was too. Not a straight novel, but lots of short to medium length works set in the Project Elfhome universe. And a few are non-canon. In essence, fan-fic by the author. I enjoyed it a lot.

Next up: Bookburners by Max Gladstone et al. Most enjoyable so far.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:45 AM   #27497
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HD 8.9, Fire HD8
Quote:
And rather splendid it was too. Not a straight novel, but lots of short to medium length works set in the Project Elfhome universe. And a few are non-canon. In essence, fan-fic by the author. I enjoyed it a lot.
My favourite story in there: Pittsburgh Backyard and Garden. What fun!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:30 AM   #27498
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
[...] I have very high hopes for my next read - but I'm not going to name it in case I jinx it.
I can safely name it now: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. My hopes were definitely fulfilled, there was no chance I was putting this one down without finishing. I won't say more here because it's up for discussion on the New Leaf book club in a few days.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:59 AM   #27499
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
That’s good to know!
Bookpossum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #27500
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I finished P. T. Deutermann's newest WWII book Iceman.
I loved this book. An excellent story and you get a real feel for the US Submarine operations during the early days of the war. I highly recommend this book and the other WWII books he has written.

The other books of his set during WWII are:
1. Pacific Glory (2011)
2. The Ghosts of Bungo Suido (2013)
3. Sentinels of Fire (2014)
4. The Commodore (2016)
Apache
Thanks so much for your P.T. Deutermann post. I haven't been keeping up, and hadn't realized he had released new WW2 titles.

I'm currently reading The Commodore, and finding it a fascinating departure from the Second Naval Battle of Guadalcanal.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:59 AM   #27501
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: Bookburners by Max Gladstone et al. Most enjoyable so far.
A collaborative novel, but with (I think) outlines of all the chapters done by Max Gladstone, so it has a coherence that is missing in some multi-author pieces. Set in 'our' world, but where Magic and Demons are real, and kept under control and hidden by a special team from the Vatican. I'm looking forward to the next book, when it goes on special offer.

Next up: Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L. Sayers. Her second Lord Peter Wimsey novel.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #27502
PurpleStar
Guru
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura 2
I seem to be in a book slump lately, quit reading a couple books. I don't know what's wrong so I'm just gonna go ahead and read my favorite series The Wheel of Time. I keep thinking about it a lot so it's time for another re-read. If that doesn't get me out of the slump then nothing will. Already met my 32 book goal so if I read these the rest of the year it doesn't matter! The Eye of The World is my favorite book ever so I gotta read it every year or two anyways. lol

Last edited by PurpleStar; 09-10-2018 at 10:59 AM.
PurpleStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #27503
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'm reading Conan Doyle for the Defense: The True Story of a Sensational British Murder, a Quest for Justice, and the World's Most Famous Detective Writer by Margalit Fox, a reporter for the New York Times.

I'm in the last part, and have really enjoyed.
astrangerhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #27504
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L. Sayers. Her second Lord Peter Wimsey novel.
A definite improvement on the first. But I suspect the best is yet to come.

I also read Rommel? Gunner Who? by Spike Milligan. The bits of autobiography were moving. I found the bits of humour weren't to my taste.

Now reading: An Elephant for Aristotle by L. Sprague de Camp. One of Phoenix Pick's freebies.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #27505
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, Galaxy Tab A (2017)
Finished Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, which I will discuss in the New Leaf book club thread.

I am also almost done with Armada by Ernest Cline. A bit on the predictable side, but easily readable (and more engaging to me than the previous book).
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #27506
Deskisamess
Guru
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, iPad Pro 12.9", KO2
Finished The Girl from the Savoy by Hazel Gaynor and No Less Days by Amanda G. Stevens. I liked both of them well enough, although the second one sort of rambled on at the end.

For September:

20% through No Ordinary Time by Doris Kearns Goodwin and am totally enjoying it. I love the history.

65% through The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt

49% through Voices from Chernobyl by Svetlana Alexievich

2% through Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro which is being discussed here. I'm having trouble getting in to it...
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #27507
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, Galaxy Tab A (2017)
Finished Armada. I was told by someone that this was a sequel of sorts, but I found it merely a sophomore novel with the same theme as Ready Player One--that is, video gaming and '80s nostalgia.

Not bad, and I can see it as right up Hollywood's alley; but I hope for his third book, mister Cline stretches out into something a little different.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:04 PM   #27508
RobertLCollins
Zealot
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Last night I finished reading Howl's Moving Castle. Another fun read! Not sure what I'll start on next...
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:42 PM   #27509
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HD 8.9, Fire HD8
I'm currently working my way through the 3 individual books in the Deeds of Paksenarrion trilogy. This is a re-read, and is being mostly done via Audible, but with the re-release of the individual volumes for the 30th Anniversary of Sheepfarmer's Daughter, it seemed like a good excuse. And I needed something to get over Never Let Me Go, which I did NOT enjoy.

I've finished Sheepfarmer's Daughter, and thoroughly enjoyed it once again. Now on to Divided Allegiance.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:10 PM   #27510
franknight
franknight began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I am reading Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice at the moment as well after reading the recommended prequels. Quite good but for fantasy not up to Terry Goodkind's standard. Try the Sword of Truth (10 books or so of wonderful fantasy.) I like other stuff as well. If you are a young guy you may not know about Harold Robbins. Greatest fiction (with lots of truth worked in) author of 50 years ago. Well that'll keep you busy for a few months if you haven't heard of them before.
franknight is offline   Reply With Quote