Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
lukeoftheaura
Enthusiast
lukeoftheaura began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Aura HD not turning on properly?

When I try and turn on my aura HD, I get the power LED turning on, the display flashing black for a moment, the power LED going off, the display flashing black again, and then nothing. After that I have to hold the power switch for 15 seconds ish because I can try to power it on again. Any help? I've tried resetting the device but that doesn't seem to have had an effect.
lukeoftheaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Are you sure the battery isn't low? My Kobo readers all do that when there's just enough power left to try to turn it on, but then immediately shuts it down before a screen even shows. I'd try charging it for at least several hours, overnight would be preferable, and through an electric outlet would be fastest.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #3
lukeoftheaura
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Are you sure the battery isn't low? My Kobo readers all do that when there's just enough power left to try to turn it on, but then immediately shuts it down before a screen even shows. I'd try charging it for at least several hours, overnight would be preferable, and through an electric outlet would be fastest.
This is while it's plugged into an outlet, so power shouldn't be an issue.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
lukeoftheaura
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
UPDATE: it's been charging since my last message (so about 5 hours now) and it's still doing this.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:57 AM   #5
lukeoftheaura
Enthusiast

It's now been charging overnight and still won't turn on properly.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:54 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE, Clara HD
At this point, you need to try a factory reset. I know in your first post you you tried "resetting the device", but, was this a factory reset? Or simply pressing the pinhole reset button? The latter will restart the device if it hangs, but doesn't do anything else.

The factory reset for an Aura HD is:
  1. Charge the device for at least an hour.
  2. Hold the power button down for about 20 seconds to force it to power off.
  3. Hold the light button down and turn the device on.
  4. Release the light button when the screen starts to change.

I generally need to do this a couple of times as I either let the light button up to early, or maybe didn't hold it properly. But, if it doesn't work the first time, try again by wait longer at each step.

If this doesn't fix things, it is probably hardware. But, the only hardware you can change is the internal SD card. You can open the device and replace this, but you will need a disc image to replace this. This is available for asking. But taking it out and checking it will tell you if there is a problem. Also, reseat it to make sure it hasn't shaken loose.

The only other thing I can think of is damage to the screen. That doesn't sound likely, but it could be. If this is the case, it might be booting OK, but the screen can't be updated. Something to try is wait for however long it would normally take to start and try to turn the light on or off.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote