Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-15-2018, 08:09 AM   #1
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Upgrade to 64GB Class 10 Micro SD for Aura Edition 2

Just got a new Aura Edition 2 this week. Then I stumbled on an FCC link through this forum and notice the memory is not soldered in. There is a 4GB class 4 card that is removable. I had a 64GB Class 10 card laying around that hasn't been used for years so I switch out the cards and notice a significant increase in speed like 10x faster internet browsing. I feel kinda cheated for the price, I'm getting 2005 hardware specs. Anyhow, I don't know if this has been discuss but I'd though I'd share this discovery if anyone is looking to zest up their Kobo.

Now I just need to find things to fill up my 64gb memory Aura.

Last edited by thymaster; 05-15-2018 at 08:13 AM.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
Just got a new Aura Edition 2 this week. Then I stumbled on an FCC link through this forum and notice the memory is not soldered in. There is a 4GB class 4 card that is removable. I had a 64GB Class 10 card laying around that hasn't been used for years so I switch out the cards and notice a significant increase in speed like 10x faster internet browsing. I feel kinda cheated for the price, I'm getting 2005 hardware specs. Anyhow, I don't know if this has been discuss but I'd though I'd share this discovery if anyone is looking to zest up their Kobo.

Now I just need to find things to fill up my 64gb memory Aura.
Swapping in a class 10 card can be iffy. The larger class 10 cards tend to be optimized for large block read/write speeds while the Kobo ereaders are happier with faster small block read/write speeds. There was quite a bit of discussion about this issue a while back with the conclusion being the most reliable manufacturers for small block speed were SanDisk and Samsung.

Oddly, when I was playing with changing out the internal cards, internet browsing speed was not that noticeably affected. For the most part, an eInk screen is not the best for internet browsing due the slow refresh rate.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Swapping in a class 10 card can be iffy. The larger class 10 cards tend to be optimized for large block read/write speeds while the Kobo ereaders are happier with faster small block read/write speeds. There was quite a bit of discussion about this issue a while back with the conclusion being the most reliable manufacturers for small block speed were SanDisk and Samsung.

Oddly, when I was playing with changing out the internal cards, internet browsing speed was not that noticeably affected. For the most part, an eInk screen is not the best for internet browsing due the slow refresh rate.
Class rating for SD cards is based on minimum sequential write performance.
Class 2: 2MB/s
Class 4: 4MB/s
Class 10: 10MB/s

There's no requirement for small block performance.

Size or class isn't really the issue. Apart from SanDisk and Samsung, most other SD cards I've used had abysmal small block write regardless if they're Class 2 or 10. Even if you had a Kingston 4GB Class 4, it's likely still going to perform quite poorly (that's what I first used on my Nook Color and it constantly crashed).

Best stick to genuine Samsung or SanDisk cards. Plenty of fakes on ebay and even Amazon Marketplace sellers so caveat emptor.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #4
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Best stick to genuine Samsung or SanDisk cards. Plenty of fakes on ebay and even Amazon Marketplace sellers so caveat emptor.
This probably is where the problem lies. People not realizing they got a fake card online. Even amazon sells fake cards. It's best to buy directly from an authorized source like Bestbuy or Walmart. The card I use is the Lexar 300x series and so far no problems. I've sync 30gb of old pdf files that I've been wanting to read for a long time. They open up fine and to me they load up faster then the preloaded card.

Last edited by thymaster; 05-15-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
This probably is where the problem lies. People not realizing they got a fake card online. Even amazon sells fake cards. It's best to buy directly from an authorized source like Bestbuy or Walmart. The card I use is the Lexar 300x series and so far no problems. I've sync 30gb of old pdf files that I've been wanting to read for a long time. They open up fine and to me they load up faster then the preloaded card.
Nah, it's not simply based on genuine or fake. Design matters. Reading PDFs off a card is a different criteria from running an operating system from the card. A card can be good at reading 100MB PDFs but quite awful at, say, running Linux.

Benchmark the card with CrystalDiskMark (at least 100MB). If you get random 4K writes in 1-2MB/s range, it should be fine.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:27 AM   #6
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Kobo Aura - kobo gloHD - KA1
I always thought the memory was soldered in the recent kobos (Aura ed2, KA1, and H2O2)...
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:33 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramoisi View Post
I always thought the memory was soldered in the recent kobos (Aura ed2, KA1, and H2O2)...
The newer waterproofed devices have fixed storage. The Aura Edition 2 is the last Kobo device released to have an internal SD card. It will be interesting to see what is in the Clara HD.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:17 AM   #8
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Kobo Aura - kobo gloHD - KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It will be interesting to see what is in the Clara HD.
Hi david ! I asked myself the same thing :-) I'm always a bit reluctant to tinker with my KA1 because of the fixed storage
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #9
thymaster
Zealot

Haha, same here. I stumbled on the Kobo FCC site that have a picture of the inside and a Micros SD card next to it. I decided to open up mind do an experiment. I swap out the card by cloning it and re-partitioning it. It took me like 15 minutes and to my surprise it works. It was easier then I though.

Quote:
Quote:
Hi david ! I asked myself the same thing :-) I'm always a bit reluctant to tinker with my KA1 because of the fixed storage
Old 05-16-2018, 06:41 PM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I use a (4) in my Kobo eReader.... (10) are best for Cameras & Watching Movies.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote