Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
alvises
alvises began at the beginning.

Device: reMarkable, Boox Max2, iPad Pro
Max2 screen, bending and scratches. Maybe too soft ?

Hi,

I’ve received few days ago the Max2. I like the feeling of writing on it. I think that the feelings is even better than the remarkable. Said that, after just few hours taking notes, I see that there are little scratches, especially where i’ve pushed the pencil just a little bit harder, to test pressure sensitivity (but never excessively hard). I do see them when reading under a lamp. Is it normal? Does the Note’s screen bahve the same? Do you suggest to put a screen protector? A screen protector could create glares and reflections, especially under a lamp...

Another thing I’ve noticed is that the central part of the screen bends a little bit when touching or writing on it with the pencil. It bends like a canvas. I could do a video of it. This is maybe because the size of the screen, but doesn’t feel solid as it should be (remarkable screen is like writing on a solid stone). Anyone experiencing the same ? Same on the Note?

BTW: I’m still undecided between the max2 and the note (still have to try it) to mainly read pdf and writing math formulas like I do on A4/A5 papers. I also find that the cropping system of neo reader works great.

Last edited by alvises; 05-13-2018 at 01:27 PM.
alvises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I have a Note. I haven't noticed the scratches, but I can tell you that both the Note and the Max 2 are designed to be flexible and not solid. Either one will have a slight "give" to it when you touch it or write on it. I don't know why Onyx deliberately chose a flexible design for these two. It doesn't bother me since I expected it.

As far as which one, that might depend on the size of the pdfs you read. If you are using A4, you might find the Max 2 a little better. Anything smaller than A4, and the Note should be fine. The Note works very well for me on the typical 8.5 x 11 inch pdfs one finds in the USA.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
These are most probably not scratches but abrasions from the pen. Normally it's possible to wash them off.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:09 PM   #4
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT RP1, Remarkable
Did you try to use an eraser?
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:07 AM   #5
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
As a Max2 user, I confirm that Max2 is very vulnerable to get scratch. Ten times easier to get small scratch than my Max1. The scratches are very small and can only be spotted from a specific angle. As far as I know, after asking some Note users, Note is not that easier to get scratch than Max2.

So screen protector is highly recommended for Max2 users. I tried an anti-glare matte protector, I can’t notice any difference in terms of glare and reflection when testing under the sunshine.

Check out this post first before you apply screen protector.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=410

Last edited by cqman; 05-14-2018 at 01:07 AM.
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:45 AM   #6
alvises
alvises began at the beginning.

Device: reMarkable, Boox Max2, iPad Pro
thanks a lot guys!
alvises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:51 AM   #7
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
I'm happy with the screen protector from https://ereader.store/en/, you can see some pictures here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=393
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:17 AM   #8
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
I'm happy with the screen protector from https://ereader.store/en/, you can see some pictures here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=393
Wow, you are very good at applying screen protector. I can't spot a single bubble from your photos.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
Drew22
Connoisseur
Drew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
Scratches are an issue Onyx has yet to solve

Hi @Alvises, in the huge thread "Onyx Boox Max2 Issues", the sensitive screen of Max2 was much discussed (among many other issues). As @Randy mentions, the only good protective layer is to be found on the German site. Onyx was asked about the problem on amazon.com as well. It answered they will bring soon protective sleeves on offer. However months have passed and nothing happened.

About how to apply the plastic layer see my post Nr. 410 in that thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...94#post3688994 . Other posts on the subjects carry the Nr. 298, 299 and 327.

The good news is those scratches are not affecting the e-ink screen itself, only the superficial touch-screan layer on top.

The bad news are: (1) if you don't act quickly the scratches will multiply and will be increasingly visible, (2) the protective layer is hiding most scratches but you'll run the risk of getting air bubble lines around the deeper ones, and (3) the application of the layer is very difficult resulting in a few unaesthetic dust particles behind, no matter what.

@Randy happily told us he managed a perfect application from the first try, but looking at the photos he uploaded for us I could identify a few air bubbles between the layers on the upper left edge of the screen and in the lower left part of the screen.

I managed a bubble free screen after 10 tentatives, although I do have minuscule air bubble lines over the deeper scratches. And there is a very small dust particle near the lower left edge of the screen. This being my best, I let it be!

As for the protective screen, it has modest antiglare properties, unlike the way it is advertised.

Unfortunately, Onyx behaviour in the matter is very upsetting. I bought many e-readers from them, but it is improbable to do it in the future due to the irresponsible way they treat their costumers. This is a 800 € device after all.

Last edited by Drew22; 05-14-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Drew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #10
cqman
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew22 View Post
Unfortunately, Onyx behaviour in the matter is very upsetting. I bought many e-readers from them, but it is improbable to do it in the future due to the irresponsible way they treat their costumers. This is a 800 € device after all.
The scratches made me feel a little bit upset with Onyx. Fortunately I found this issue soon when there were only two small scratches. After scrutinizing my Max1, I did found some more scratches too which I didn’t notice before. The lesson I learned is that no matter it is Max1 or Note or iPad pro, if you are going to take note on it, you’d better put screen protector as soon as you bought your device.

Quote:
@Randy happily told us he managed a perfect application from the first try, but looking at the photos he uploaded for us I could identify a few air bubbles between the layers on the upper left edge of the screen and in the lower left part of the screen.
Yes, there are some.

How about this one? From another user's newly bought Max2.

It's nearly perfect expect for the left top and bottom corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180514232149.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	163985  

Last edited by cqman; 05-14-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #11
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You are right But they are small and not annoying.

An advice, don't go to the barber shop (hair and beard) before to put the screen protector This the reason of the bubbles !
Old 05-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #12
cqman
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
You are right But they are small and not annoying.

An advice, don't go to the barber shop (hair and beard) before to put the screen protector This the reason of the bubbles !
Hair and beard can be easily removed by tools like this or just a piece of duct tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5951dcbfN7399720e.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	163986  
Old 05-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvises View Post
Hi,

Another thing I’ve noticed is that the central part of the screen bends a little bit when touching or writing on it with the pencil. It bends like a canvas. I could do a video of it. This is maybe because the size of the screen, but doesn’t feel solid as it should be (remarkable screen is like writing on a solid stone). Anyone experiencing the same ? Same on the Note?
The screen is a E Ink Mobius to avoid breakage of a glass screen on a large device.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #14
Randy11
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqman View Post
Hair and beard can be easily removed by tools like this or just a piece of duct tape.

The problem is that I seen them when I saw the bubble

And I'm not sure that the duct tape on my hairs or my beard will be very pleasurable
Old 05-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #15
Drew22
Connoisseur
Drew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqman View Post

How about this one? From another user's newly bought Max2.

It's nearly perfect expect for the left top and bottom corner.
On the top left edge the protective layer meets the plastic black margin, which causes bubbles. The risk is, they will grow in time. Moreover a dust particle still made it behind the screen to the left of the number "1/4 >". And I guess, if your friend would have made more pictures from different angles and with a stronger light, like @Randy did, we would uncover more imperfections.

This is not near perfect, but an average result. True, the named problems should not impede the reading process for the respective user, unless someone is a perfectionist. Nonetheless, the fact that the buyer is being left to look for himself after paying so much money for a high-end product with unacceptable weaknesses is not fair at all. If Onyx and E-Ink will continue as if nothing happened, they will eventually lose market share to the existing and coming competition.
Drew22 is offline   Reply With Quote