Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
Ticallion
Connoisseur
Ticallion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Android Marketplace now accessible with 6.2.1

Came across this a bit ago: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1405151

If you don't feel like checking link; you can now supposedly access Anrdoid Marketplace through your browser on the Fire without being redirected to Amazon.

Edit: I noticed this was mentioned in the update thread, but thought I'd make a separate topic for it to let everyone know.

Edit 2: I also jumped the gun in thinking you could directly download and install without having the Market app installed, guess that was wishful thinking. Argh

Last edited by Ticallion; 12-22-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Ticallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
This was already mentioned in the existing thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=48
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
Ticallion
Connoisseur
Ticallion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
This was already mentioned in the existing thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticallion View Post
Edit: I noticed this was mentioned in the update thread, but thought I'd make a separate topic for it to let everyone know.
I thought this was big enough news to warrant its own topic. It looks like you still need to have the Market app (which I think requires rooting) if you want to directly install though, which is a bummer but to be expected.
Ticallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, its not, and MR prefers to not proliferate multiple topics -- I've been dinged on it several times...
Old 12-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
No doubt that I have 6.21 on my brand new fire but how do I tell if I have that version or not?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I think we'll be officially getting access to the market in the next update.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
question on access

If Amazon is going to officially give us access then why not at least give us full access to Amazon's store? Seems crazy and would like to have full access to both stores.

I went to the store and did not find the kindle fire as a device I can associate with my account. The image you show at checkout has the kindle fire. How do I associate this device to the android marketplace? Thanks

Oops just noticed the message that we still need the marketplace app installed on the Fire.

Last edited by timezone; 12-22-2011 at 08:58 AM.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
No doubt that I have 6.21 on my brand new fire but how do I tell if I have that version or not?
tap the settings (upper right) and tap "more" scroll to Device tap it and it will display the version (among other things).
Old 12-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
We are basically promoting piracy in this forum. There are a LOT of people installing any APK they can find just about anywhere. That's the whole problem with devices like the Kindle Fire not having access to the main legal distribution of apps that everyone is wanting to use - Android Market.

If the Fire had been running a custom build of Honeycomb or later, it would have lost someone like Adobe a good few thousand dollars on revenue from their new touch apps since they aren't on the Amazon App Store.

The Amazon App Store is doing NOTHING for them. Lots of outdated apps, people taking advantage of the Free App of the Day (even before they are to GET the Kindle Fire), and the lack of developers who still won't use them even after so many Fire sales.

With this move, Amazon could attract more buyers of the Fire, more Prime subscribers, and satisfy most of us who have already bought it. They can always get the loss commission from Google anyway.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
We are basically promoting piracy in this forum. There are a LOT of people installing any APK they can find just about anywhere. ....
That's simply not true. I've yet to pay money for any of the apps I use. They are freely available in many places, not just the markets. The Kindle Fire without modification allows installation of .apk files. This is NOT Piracy. Piracy is when something is stolen that would normally have to be purchased.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
JoeyBlaze
Enthusiast
JoeyBlaze began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Well, its not, and MR prefers to not proliferate multiple topics -- I've been dinged on it several times...
No offense, but this is the reason why many message boards, such as this one, don't become very popular. If a relatively large bit of news comes out about the fire, I see no reason at all why someone shouldn't make a new post about it. Even if it happened to be mentioned in another post.
I for one didn't see this in the other post, so i'm glad a new one was created. Thank you OP for letting me know about this.
JoeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:

With this move, Amazon could attract more buyers of the Fire, more Prime subscribers, and satisfy most of us who have already bought it. They can always get the loss commission from Google anyway.
I'm sure they could. But how many Fire buyers have an Android phone? The only way you know that the Amazon app store is lacking in some way, is if you have an Android phone/tablet. Otherwise you wouldn't know. As far as attracting more buyers, those would be buyers who have an Android device already and know the app store is lacking. These are the same folks who can just grab an app of their Android device and sideload it. If they're not interested in the Fire, it's probably not because of that reason.

Last edited by SCION; 12-22-2011 at 10:27 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
We are basically promoting piracy in this forum. There are a LOT of people installing any APK they can find just about anywhere.
That's not true. There's are plenty of Markets out there that are legit. 1Mobile, SlideME and Andriodpit to name a few. There's no need to google for an apk just check out our Alternative Market Threads for legit apps.

We had in beginning a few who didn't understand but once a moderator talked to them no one has been promoting getting their apps from non legit sources.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBlaze View Post
No offense, but this is the reason why many message boards, such as this one, don't become very popular. If a relatively large bit of news comes out about the fire, I see no reason at all why someone shouldn't make a new post about it. Even if it happened to be mentioned in another post.
I for one didn't see this in the other post, so i'm glad a new one was created. Thank you OP for letting me know about this.
Well, everyone's got an opinion.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Then I can set my browser to market.android.com and start downloading? I would like a few apps over there that amazon's store doesn't have.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me why amazon would keep us confined to their store since by sending us to the android market there are several benefits to amazon: 1) No longer need to maintain an app store on their servers and thus more space for other things; 2) No need to do tech support for the apps, since its not their app store no need to support the store; 3) None of the payment processing troubbles, since the android app store sells the app amazon does not need to process payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
tap the settings (upper right) and tap "more" scroll to Device tap it and it will display the version (among other things).
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote