Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
reader_x
reader_x began at the beginning.

Device: none
Problem with epubs in new ereader

Hi everyone. I just purchased a new Linux-based ereader and many epubs I loaded onto it are being displayed as folders/directories, not as ebooks. I think I discovered a clue to the solution, but am not sure what to do.

Basically, while the ereader is connected to my iMac in USB mode, when I right-click on the epubs that are appearing as directories, the option "Show package contents" appears in the menu (as is normally the case with epubs). Conversely, when I right-click on the epubs that appear as ebooks in the reader, "Show package contents" does not appear.

Any ideas?
reader_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:18 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What Reader do you have and how are you loading your ePub on it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
reader_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What Reader do you have and how are you loading your ePub on it?
It's a SuperNote A5. I'm loading epubs on it my connecting it to my iMac in USB mode and copying them over to the designated directory on the device.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:46 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Take some of the ePub that show "Show package contents" and run them through epubcheck and see if there is any errors that may be causing this.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:44 AM   #5
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
Might it be that the transfer to the ereader wasn't a transfer but an unzip?
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2019, 07:33 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Try using Calibre to send the ePub to the Reader.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:37 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reader_x View Post
Basically, while the ereader is connected to my iMac in USB mode, when I right-click on the epubs that are appearing as directories, the option "Show package contents" appears in the menu (as is normally the case with epubs). Conversely, when I right-click on the epubs that appear as ebooks in the reader, "Show package contents" does not appear.
ePubs are zip files. The things that seem to be epubs on your iMac that have the option 'Show package contents' are not zip files, but folders that your iMac is choosing to display as if they were a file.

I suspect that if you get the ePub Zip/Unzip AppleScript, dropping the non-ePubs onto it will correctly zip them up into real ePub files that you can transfer.

I'd also strongly recommend that you use calibre to store your ebooks on your iMac, and use it to transfer books to your eReader.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:18 PM   #8
reader_x

Ah, ok, so the iMac unzips the ePub/zip folders. Many thanks for all the help. It's a bit late now, so I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:59 AM   #9
reader_x

Sorry, but it seems I've managed to overcomplicate this simple solution.

When I drop a non-ePub onto the AppleScript, the following message appears...

Quote:
The ePub "xxx.epub" already exists.

Do you want to replace it? The old ePub will be moved to the Trash.
When I select "Replace", the following message appears...

Quote:
Problem adding mimetype to ePub "XXXXXX.epub":

sh: line 0: cd: /Users/admin/Downloads/re-zipped epubs/XXXXX.epub/: No such file or directory
Old 09-24-2019, 03:16 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reader_x View Post
Sorry, but it seems I've managed to overcomplicate this simple solution.

When I drop a non-ePub onto the AppleScript, the following message appears...

When I select "Replace", the following message appears...

Try removing '.epub' from the name of the non-ePub before dropping it onto the AppleScript.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:13 AM   #11
reader_x

That did the trick! Many, many thanks. I'll be sure to keep my iBooks and e-reader books partitioned from now on.

The tech support of my new e-reader, while very helpful, had no idea how to fix this. I'll be sure to tell them about this easy solution.