Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-29-2021, 10:10 AM   #1
goofy3785
goofy3785 began at the beginning.

Device: nova3 color
Opening the Onyx Boox Nova 3 Color

Hi,

I have a client with a weird request to remove the radio chipset from his e-reader. He likes his privacy and I told him that it doesn't work like that. He still wants it done and he is paying me so I am not going to argue with him - I need the money .

I would like to open this tablet but I have no experience with e-readers nor this brand. I checked around 5 cellphone repair shops and they won't touch it as they also have never worked with this tablet before.

I really want to avoid breaking the device and was wondering if anyone has any experience opening this device and are there any guides for similar devices out there. I am really iffy on opening chinese devices as I'd imagine they have some sort of security mechanism to prevent 3rd party repairs.

Any help is much appreciated.
goofy3785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:37 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I usually keep WiFi off on my reading devices. Your client seems a bit further along than me.

This might be impossible. My Poke3 has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 processor and the WiFi interface is built right in. Ok, you might sabotage the antenna, but that's not really 100% certain either.

Older model things had a WiFi module that connected on SDIO to the main processor. Bluetooth often had a module that connected over a UART port. Those were easier to identify and remove.

Since the Nova3C is of the latest generation I don't think this will work out. Do we have some good photos of the inside of the Nova3C?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2021, 02:03 PM   #3
goofy3785
goofy3785 began at the beginning.

Device: nova3 color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I usually keep WiFi off on my reading devices. Your client seems a bit further along than me.

This might be impossible. My Poke3 has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 processor and the WiFi interface is built right in. Ok, you might sabotage the antenna, but that's not really 100% certain either.

Older model things had a WiFi module that connected on SDIO to the main processor. Bluetooth often had a module that connected over a UART port. Those were easier to identify and remove.

Since the Nova3C is of the latest generation I don't think this will work out. Do we have some good photos of the inside of the Nova3C?
I don't have any information about this tablet but I can't imagine that the smb would be so different from previous gens(nova3, nova2). Once again I am just asking about opening the device up. Nothing more.
goofy3785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:21 PM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Here is a link to a thread on this forum about opening up the Note Pro to replace the battery:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=339908

It was very easy to do. I would hazard a guess that the Nova devices are very similar. However, having never opened one up, I can't be certain. Nor can I be certain that the third generation of these devices is similar to the first generation. Best of luck.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:16 PM   #5
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Yes, that thread is probably the best thing to look at. My experience was opening the original Note (also for battery replacement). You essentially just have to push a narrow tool (plastic or, if unavoidable, metal) into the tiny opening between the front and the backplate and open it up step by step. Actually, you may have to sort of force in the tool a bit to get a grip, so this might be hard to do without leaving at least some small marks at the edge of the front of the device. On the Note there weren't any cables in danger of being cut open, but you need to be careful not to break any of the plastic noses holding the device back in place.
Of course, things might be a bit different with the modern devices with glass front.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2021, 07:47 AM   #6
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy3785 View Post
Hi,

I have a client with a weird request to remove the radio chipset from his e-reader. He likes his privacy and I told him that it doesn't work like that. He still wants it done and he is paying me so I am not going to argue with him - I need the money .

I would like to open this tablet but I have no experience with e-readers nor this brand. I checked around 5 cellphone repair shops and they won't touch it as they also have never worked with this tablet before.

I really want to avoid breaking the device and was wondering if anyone has any experience opening this device and are there any guides for similar devices out there. I am really iffy on opening chinese devices as I'd imagine they have some sort of security mechanism to prevent 3rd party repairs.

Any help is much appreciated.
I wonder how much money will they give you to take the risk to break an expensive niche device for an irrational and most likely impossible to achieve request.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote