Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #451
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
By the way, could it be possible for you to make a KDF Input plugin for Calibre in order to process that "kind of ebook" with KFX Output?
The KFX Input plugin can already handle KDF files. Just zip the directory containing it and change the extension to ".kpf".

The result can be imported into calibre and converted to other formats using the GUI interface. However, there is a problem in doing that. All conversions done using the calibre GUI convert to an intermediate format, which is basically EPUB 2. To bypass that step you need to use the command line.

A better solution to your problem is finding out the proper way to run the calibre-debug command from a portable calibre install.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #452
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon has released Kindle Previewer version 3.23.

Quote:
New in Kindle Previewer:
* Includes stability improvements and bug fixes.
* Includes the latest improvements in Kindle conversion.
It appears to be mostly compatible with this plugin, however I have found some minor problems that I will a fix in the next plugin release.

----

Some changes I have noticed:

It does a better job of handling images with transparency. (That will allow me to eliminate some code in the plugin that removed transparency from GIF images before conversion to prevent failures.)

While there is still a limit of 8 columns for tables, columns that contain no content (used for spacing) do not count toward this limit.

Last edited by jhowell; 06-13-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:55 AM   #453
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The KFX Input plugin can already handle KDF files. Just zip the directory containing it and change the extension to ".kpf".

The result can be imported into calibre and converted to other formats using the GUI interface. However, there is a problem in doing that. All conversions done using the calibre GUI convert to an intermediate format, which is basically EPUB 2. To bypass that step you need to use the command line.

A better solution to your problem is finding out the proper way to run the calibre-debug command from a portable calibre install.
Hi jhowell;

Many thanks for your answer. I did what you said and I could convert a .kpf to .kfx. However, the output is not the same as when I convert an .epub to .kfx. In the second case (epub to kfx), the result is optimal but in the first case, there are issues (for example, with drop caps). I think that the intermediate step (kpf to epub) is introducing some "noise". I'm using Kindle Previewer 3.23.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #454
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
I think that the intermediate step (kpf to epub) is introducing some "noise". I'm using Kindle Previewer 3.23.
Yes, it will not do a clean conversion. That is why I wrote that there is a problem in doing it that way.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #455
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Yes, it will not do a clean conversion. That is why I wrote that there is a problem in doing it that way.
Now I could run your plugin from the command line and the conversion from .kdf to .kfx is optimal. The issues presented with the conversion from .kpf to .kfx have disappeared. Great job yours.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #456
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
I tried to convert a book in Japanese to KFX so that I can try if sideloaded fonts work on it, and I am getting this error
calibre, version 3.21.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: Cannot convert Conversion error: Kindle Previewer error: Error:E00300: "Primary writing-mode=vertical not supported currently.
Is there anything I am doing wrong?
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:04 PM   #457
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
I tried to convert a book in Japanese to KFX so that I can try if sideloaded fonts work on it...
Sorry, but KFX (Enhanced Typesetting) is not currently supported for Japanese language books.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:56 AM   #458
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Sorry, but KFX (Enhanced Typesetting) is not currently supported for Japanese language books.
Understood, thanks!
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:56 PM   #459
ViniciusKTZ
ViniciusKTZ began at the beginning.

Device: Android (Kindle)
Many thanks for the plug-in.
But, I'm working on a fluid epub and the conversion is resulting in very low quality images and resolution. Any solution?
ViniciusKTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:20 AM   #460
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViniciusKTZ View Post
I'm working on a fluid epub and the conversion is resulting in very low quality images and resolution. Any solution?
By "fluid" I assume you mean reflowable, as opposed to fixed-layout.

The Kindle Previewer converts images to JPEG format and reduces large images to 1920 pixels on the longest dimension, which is high enough resolution for most purposes.

You will need to provide enough information for me to duplicate the problem, such as an example, for me to be able to help you. (Please do not post any copyrighted material.)
Old 06-22-2018, 07:34 PM   #461
newday07
Connoisseur
newday07 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
I converted a book but the cover in my kindle is not seen. Is it normal?
newday07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #462
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newday07 View Post
I converted a book but the cover in my kindle is not seen. Is it normal?
If you mean that a cover thumbnail does not show up on your Kindle then yes, that is normal.

The instructions in first post of this thread has a section with ways to work around this issue.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #463
newday07
Connoisseur
newday07 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Quote:
If you mean that a cover thumbnail does not show up on your Kindle then yes, that is normal.

The instructions in first post of this thread has a section with ways to work around this issue.
Thank you!

Last edited by newday07; 06-22-2018 at 08:04 PM.
newday07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:28 AM   #464
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.20.0 - 25 Jun 2018

Add "kfx_output_previewer_path" plugin tweak to set the location where Kindle Previewer has been installed in cases where the default location was not used.

Detect Previewer versions up to 3.23 and remove support for Previewer versions older than 3.21. (Newer Previewer versions produce better results.)

Modify source file fix ups that are used when Kindle Previewer 3.23 or later is installed.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:40 PM   #465
ViniciusKTZ
ViniciusKTZ began at the beginning.

Device: Android (Kindle)
Quote:
By "fluid" I assume you mean reflowable, as opposed to fixed-layout.

The Kindle Previewer converts images to JPEG format and reduces large images to 1920 pixels on the longest dimension, which is high enough resolution for most purposes.

You will need to provide enough information for me to duplicate the problem, such as an example, for me to be able to help you. (Please do not post any copyrighted material.)
Kindle Previewer v. 3.23.0
Calibre v. 3.15
KFX Output v. 1.19.0

EPUB done manually.
MOBI generated by the Kindle Previewer.
Attached Files
File Type: epub EPUB TEST.epub (1.31 MB, 206 views)
File Type: mobi EPUB TEST.mobi (2.98 MB, 334 views)
File Type: zip EPUB TEST [KFX].zip (216.2 KB, 157 views)
ViniciusKTZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfx, linux, wine