Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #1
porphyry5
Connoisseur
porphyry5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara, Onyx Boox Monte Cristo
Reading html files on kindle paperwhite firmware 5.9.7

The user manual says the reader will display html files, but is rather obscure as to how to do so. Loading html files from my computer works, but the kindle does not recognize the presence of such files, so will not access them.

However, if I change the file suffix from html to txt and load such to the kindle, it sees such files and reads them, and interprets the html coding (at least for headings and italics, etc, but not for links).

Is this the proper method of viewing html on kindle, or is there a preferred method?
porphyry5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:14 AM   #2
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Quote:
Originally Posted by porphyry5 View Post
The user manual says the reader will display html files, but is rather obscure as to how to do so. Loading html files from my computer works, but the kindle does not recognize the presence of such files, so will not access them.

However, if I change the file suffix from html to txt and load such to the kindle, it sees such files and reads them, and interprets the html coding (at least for headings and italics, etc, but not for links).

Is this the proper method of viewing html on kindle, or is there a preferred method?
Try to convert your file to the htmlz format with calibre; unzip it; and copy the html file in your ereader
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by porphyry5 View Post

That method used to be in the User Guide (Looking at my backups, I was using it in 2011). but Amazon now suggest you Send to Kindle or email the HTML document to be converted and sent to your Kindle and the cloud.

Converting the HTML to rtf or doc and then emailing should allow the links to work or make it clear why they don't but try the conversion first.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:08 PM   #4
porphyry5
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
Try to convert your file to the htmlz format with calibre; unzip it; and copy the html file in your ereader
Thank you for the info. I will try that.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
porphyry5
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
That method used to be in the User Guide (Looking at my backups, I was using it in 2011). but Amazon now suggest you Send to Kindle or email the HTML document to be converted and sent to your Kindle and the cloud.

Converting the HTML to rtf or doc and then emailing should allow the links to work or make it clear why they don't but try the conversion first.
I live off the grid and my internet connection is sporadic, so I guess I'll stick with the deprecated method, but thank you for the information.
Advert

Tags
html files, kindle, sideloading