Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-28-2018, 12:51 AM   #16
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
My current reader, a Sony PRS-T3, can't be comfortably held without the case because the back isn't smooth (you can see the back of it it at around 2:29 in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPmVI0-tcUU).

When I used a PRS-T1 I put the case on when I left home, but took the case off for reading at home because it was more comfortable to hold without the case.

I know some people say reader screens are fragile, but I dropped my PRS-T1 many times over the approximately 5 years I used it. The screen didn't get injured until something fell on it from above while I was reading. Even then, though there was a 1/8" divot in the screen, it still worked! (I switched to the T3 because the T1 could no longer access the Overdrive library after Overdrive's last major "upgrade").
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:32 AM   #17
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Always with a case. Always a folio-style case that opens like a book and protects the corners and the screen. Usually, the case goes in a zippered pouch when taken out of the house, too, to make sure the case doesn't accidentally open. Yes, it adds bulk. But the Fintie slim cases don't add that much bulk.

I've done this for all of them: 3 Kobo's, 2 nooks, 2 kindles that the family uses or have used. Actually, all the phones and iPads and tablets in the house have cases too. It's like a bike helmet: no one rides a bike in this house without a helmet.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2018, 05:38 AM   #18
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
I always use sleepcovers with my eReaders. I have already broken a Kindle not using a cover before, and I won't like to repeat the case again.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:52 AM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
iPads - always use a case.
Kobo - have a light case and keep it in a zipped padded case for transportation.

I do most of my reading with a large iPad pro, which I normally hold in my lap or on a table. I read at lunch on an iPad mini and use the case to prop it up on the table. Bedtime reading is with the iPad mini. The cover is light enough that it doesn't bother me.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #20
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Case and sleeve - can’t afford any accidents with my Oasis 2 or any of my other electronics (tablets, etc.).
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2018, 09:05 AM   #21
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
With always. My son never uses a case and it seems like his phones always have cracked screens.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:48 AM   #22
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've been using my kindle keyboard since they first came out without a case and it goes everywhere with me. I do have a quilted oven mitt that I use as a sleeve for when I carry my kindle in my bookbag/purse. That bag has been dropped, kicked under counters to get it out of the way, used to carry groceries and other purchases and my kindle is just fine.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #23
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Either case/cover or sleeve for our kindle pws. Our ipads have a case and cover.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:12 PM   #24
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I have a case, but it's starting to wear out. I'm not sure I'd replace it.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #25
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
No Cover! Cover wont save the Reader If its Sat on .... Might save the glass/plastic from nicks & scrapes.... But only when its dropped the Cover is Closed.
You know, if you get a bright neon cover, that reduces the chance it will be sat upon.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:33 PM   #26
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
With always. My son never uses a case and it seems like his phones always have cracked screens.
Apache
Well, that's the thing isn't it? Some people are really hard on stuff. For others, even with greater use and no cover, the unit looks pristine. You know what you are like. I would also add that having a cover also depends on how easily you can afford to replace your unit. If money is tight, a cover would be better insurance that it will continue without scratches.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:05 PM   #27
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Always with. To me part of the fun is the cases, and I find it comfortable since I'm used to it now.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:10 PM   #28
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
All my devices--e-readers, tablets, and phone--have a case. I prefer the folio-style sleep/wake cases for my e-readers and tablets. I tried reading my Oasis without a case to take advantage of the highly-touted ergonomic design, but the back was too slippery. Even with a DecalGirl skin, it still was uncomfortable to hold. I finally bought a lightweight MoKo case, and it's much easier to hold while lying in bed.

Even if I preferred reading without a case, I would never take an e-reader out of the house without some kind of protection like a pouch of some kind. The substrate is just too fragile.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:22 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The only time I've ever dropped readers has been when I'm actually using them and temporarily put them down and they've fallen off what I've put them on, hence I always use a cover.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The only time I've ever dropped readers has been when I'm actually using them and temporarily put them down and they've fallen off what I've put them on, hence I always use a cover.
Same here. And for quite a while I always used a case while reading. But lately I've been noticing that some readers (like my Tolino Page) are so light without a case (don't have one yet anyhow) that I kind of like reading without one. Now I'm slipping other readers out of their cases (like the Kobo Mini, WiFi, Sony 350 and 300, and the Kindle Keyboard) when reading. But all have cases or pouches. The Tolino Page fits in Belkin Verve case and I always leave it in that when not in use or traveling.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote