Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
BadWolfe
Book Addict
BadWolfe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Exclamation Please! New Oasis (9th gen) Need a copy of a file Please

Hoping someone awesome will help me. I bought a new Oasis because I need VoiceView- which worked great until the bluetooth kept flaking out and Amazon Support told me to reset. Doing this solved the issue with the bluetooth but erased the VoiceView voices file.

SO they sent me to amazons site to download the files but the one for the new Oasis is corrupted on the site. I have spent WEEKS trying to get one of the files from a different and not- corrupt source. Someone on the forum below had the issue and said a member sent her a copy of her file and file is "Salk"?? But that user is no longer active.

This is the corrupt one https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202199580

Gives this message:

UPDATE ERROR
An invalid update file has been loaded on your device. Please go to www.amazon.com/devicesupport to access the Kindle Software Update Page or to contact Kindle Customer Service for assistance.

Thanks
Stella

Last edited by BadWolfe; 05-15-2018 at 03:49 PM. Reason: added my name.
BadWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Can you double-check your device's S/N against our table?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Because that file definitely looks sane, and properly targets the KOA2.

Code:
kindletool convert -k ~/Downloads/update_voice_kindle_all_new_oasis.bin
Bundle         SP01 (Signing Envelope)
Cert number    2
Cert file      pubprodkey02.pem (Official 2K)
Bundle         FB02 (Fullbin [signed?])
Bundle Type    Recovery
MD5 Hash       cbda910d361d9fba839e60597dc46d0b
Magic 1        2048630901
Magic 2        1897089723
Minor          1
Header Rev     2
Platform       Zelda
Board          Unspecified

md5sum /home/niluje/Downloads/update_voice_kindle_all_new_oasis_converted.tar.gz
cbda910d361d9fba839e60597dc46d0b  /home/niluje/Downloads/update_voice_kindle_all_new_oasis_converted.tar.gz
It just *happens* to be formatted like a factory update package, vs. a full update package.

Code:
Checking update package '/home/niluje/Downloads/update_kindle_all_new_oasis_5.9.5.2.bin'.
Cert number    2
Bundle         FB03 (Fullbin [OTA?, fwo?])
Bundle Type    Recovery V2
Target OTA     3301990004
MD5 Hash       8668c5edff9432c39c07a20ce1c0f1c6
Minor          1
Platform       Zelda
Header Rev     0
Devices        15
Device         Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) (Unknown Variant 0LM)
Device         Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) (Unknown Variant 0LN)
Device         Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) (Unknown Variant 0LP)
Device         Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) (Unknown Variant 0LQ)
Device         Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) (Unknown Variant 0P1)
Device         Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) (Unknown Variant 0P2)
Device         Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) (Unknown Variant 0P6)
Device         Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) (Unknown Variant 0P7)
Device         Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) WiFi (8GB)
Device         Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) WiFi+3G (32GB)
Device         Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) (Unknown Variant 0S2)
Device         Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) (Unknown Variant 0S3)
Device         Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) (Unknown Variant 0S4)
Device         Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) (Unknown Variant 0S7)
Device         Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) WiFi (32GB)
FB02 vs. FB03

Which means, that, in a delicious bit of irony, Amazon's own anti-downgrade protection is coming back to bite users in the ass.

I'll be in the corner laughing maniacally.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!

And since I'm rusty, I just deleted the crap I previously mentioned about re-creating a valid package w/ KindleTool.

We can't, because we can't sign it like Amazon.

Still ironic, because without all their efforts against jailbreaking, well, we could have fixed it .
Old 05-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #5
BadWolfe
Book Addict

Omg... seriously funny!
It makes sense since apparently the issue didn’t happen until they did their recent software upgrade…

I did check my serial number and it’s the oasis ninth generation Wi-Fi and cellular.

I guess this means that I have to wait for them.... That part kind of sucks but at least I have an idea of what’s going wrong. And on a positive note after Support insisted that the brand new oasis was at fault I did a straight return back rather than swap and I found a secondhand one a lot cheaper so Amazon lost out on a sale.
Advert
Old 05-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

What you're left with is risking filesystem corruption by hard-rebooting the device after transferring the file, after making sure FS/HW caches are flushed, but *before* ejecting it, like we did in the olden days of forced downgrades.

(Since, to make things simple, that file is rejected by a part of the system that's dormant while the device is in mass storage mode; but it will be accepted by the low-level updater at boot time, before said bit of system will ever see it agin. But if you eject, system wakes up, is angry at your implied trickery, and shouts at you.).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-15-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #7
BadWolfe
Book Addict

I thank you greatly for figuring it out- it has been driving me crazy. I will give Amazon a bit more time to get it together and if they don't I may get desperate enough to mess with the OS on it. Honestly it is comical how bad CS is....

THANKS!
Old 05-15-2018, 07:44 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWolfe View Post
I thank you greatly for figuring it out- it has been driving me crazy. I will give Amazon a bit more time to get it together and if they don't I may get desperate enough to mess with the OS on it. Honestly it is comical how bad CS is....

THANKS!
NO, DO NOT DO THAT!!!

What I would like you to do, is stay in touch with Amazon CS so you can post here as soon as they tell you they are releasing an Oasis update that will allow you to re-load the VV file package.

Why?
Because that Oasis update will also allow our "factory" jail breakable Oasis image to install.

(They can't turn the VV package support and our "factory" jail break image on or off independently. The system will load either image package or neither image package.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:39 PM   #9
BadWolfe
Book Addict

Oh heck YES!!!!!

I am all over it!
Apparently my frustration is finally being heard. They are asking for my patience as they work with the developers. You all will be the FIRST to know when they green-light it!
Old 05-17-2018, 11:56 PM   #10
BadWolfe
Book Addict

So they tried to call while I was at work and left a message saying they needed clarification of the problem (even though I wrote it out in great detail) asking when to call. I responded a good time and then no call...

Now they consider the case closed since they “could not reach me”

Back to re-complain for the 5th time. Such awesome customer service. Mind boggling.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:57 PM   #11
BadWolfe
Book Addict

If I bought a new oasis is there a way to grab the file off it and transfer it in?
Old 05-18-2018, 09:14 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So they tried to call while I was at work and left a message saying they needed clarification of the problem (even though I wrote it out in great detail) asking when to call. I responded a good time and then no call...

Now they consider the case closed since they “could not reach me”

Back to re-complain for the 5th time. Such awesome customer service. Mind boggling.
There is no long problem description to give and NiLuJe already posted the information they need:
Code:
kindletool convert -k ~/Downloads/update_voice_kindle_all_new_oasis.bin
Cert number    2
Bundle         FB02 (Fullbin [signed?])
Bundle Type    Recovery
MD5 Hash       cbda910d361d9fba839e60597dc46d0b
Minor          1
Header Rev     2
Platform       Zelda
See the "Bundle FB02" in the package headers?
Current consumer firmware images have the installation of "FB02" bundles blocked.

Just get a technical contact e-mail address out of customer service, or get customer service to forward an e-mail to the technical contact.

Cut-and-Paste the above information and tell them they will have to un-block the installation of "FB02" bundles.

You might also mention that the problem is the same cause and effect with all models listed here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202199580

And yes, their technical support department already has our KindleTool.
But if they have lost it (or have an out of date version which does not do Oasis-9th generation), point them to here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
See: The KindleTool section of that post.

All except the build for cygwin has been updated to include the 2017 Oasis.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:24 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
If I bought a new oasis is there a way to grab the file off it and transfer it in?
You don't need another Kindle, just the VV package, which you have.
If the device is jail broken, you can re-sign the package content with our key. (the device needs to be jail broken because we can't sign Amazon packages, we can only sign Mobileread packages).
((Again, see KindleTool, which is our signing tool.))

See post above for the conversion command.
Not shown is the output of that command, which is a standard compressed archive.
A second, appropriate, KindleTool command will sign that standard compressed archive with our key.

That is, if your Kindle is jail broken, then your problem can be fixed with two simple command line commands to re-package the VV files and sign with our key.

Hmm...
Maybe I should just re-sign all of the Amazon VV files and post them where people with jail broken Kindles can download them.
Ah, but if the person has pressed: "Reset", then they have more problems than just deleted VV files.
Better to let Amazon fix their own shit.
Their programmers get about $100,000 a year more than I do to keep Kindles running.

Last edited by knc1; 05-18-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I'd need to check the actual content of the VV package (it used to be a data.tgz/data.stgz last time I checked, but that was a loooooong time ago), but, thinking about it, if it is actually a full update, and not just a delivery mechanics for another type of payload, we can't re-sign it, because we can only steer the OTA updater into accepting our packages, not the initrd one.

EDIT: Morning brain (it's 4PM, I know. ). A full update for additonal files doesn't make any sense. So of course it's still a data.stgz .

Which means.... that I have no idea how data.stgz files are handled on current FW .
But it may be as simple as either dropping said payload, extracted via KindleTool, manually into the userstore and rebooting. Or if that doesn't work because the update checker also has something against data.stgz, just unwrap that again with KindleTool, and drop the VV voice data in the right place (probably the userstore, IIRC), reboot, and be done with it?

Roughly following from @knc1's previous convert command (actual tarball decompression done via GUI, which explains the missing steps and extra subdirectory):
Code:
tar tvzf update_voice_kindle_all_new_oasis_converted.tar.gz                                                                                                                                                                          ──(Fri, May 18)─┘
-rw-r--r-- signdaemon3/signdaemon3 69 2018-05-15 20:41 update-payload.dat
-rw-rw-r-- signdaemon3/signdaemon3 136226164 2018-05-15 21:27 data.stgz
-rw-rw-rw- signdaemon3/signdaemon3       256 2018-05-15 21:27 data.stgz.sig
-rw-rw-rw- signdaemon3/signdaemon3       256 2018-05-15 21:27 update-payload.dat.sig

kindletool convert -k update_voice_kindle_all_new_oasis_converted/data.stgz                                                                                                                                                          ──(Fri, May 18)─┘
Converting userdata package 'update_voice_kindle_all_new_oasis_converted/data.stgz' to 'update_voice_kindle_all_new_oasis_converted/data_converted.tar.gz' (without sig, keep input).
Cert number    2
Bundle         GZIP (Userdata tarball)

tar tvzf update_voice_kindle_all_new_oasis_converted/data_converted.tar.gz                                                                                                                                                           ──(Fri, May 18)─┘
drwxr-xr-x jenkins-official/jenkins 0 2018-05-15 20:08 voice/
-rwxr-xr-x jenkins-official/jenkins 152365343 2018-05-15 19:34 voice/vox_en_us_salli22i
-rwxr-xr-x jenkins-official/jenkins   1980678 2018-05-15 19:34 voice/lang_en_us.dat

TL;DR: That's an awfully complex delivery mechanic just to put two fricking files in the userstore. .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-18-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Huh, fun fact, because I'd deleted the package I initially downloaded when I first answered: it's been respun a few days ago.

Fun fact: nothing's changed, that I can see, between the two versions. Except the md5 change because of different timestamps.

Fun fact: hell, I think the actual VV files are the same that an old PWn package I had laying around.

Tags
kindle, oasis, voiceview